Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Should I buy this computer? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/52405-should-i-buy-computer.html)

shawnpaul00 March 12, 2012 08:27 PM

Should I buy this computer?

I am looking to buy a new desktop to act as my "cloud" storage for all my devices.

Is the CPU ok and is it ok that is running W7 on 32 bits?

Dell OptiPlex 745LP Pentium D 2800 MHz 80Gig Serial ATA HDD 4096mb DDR2 Memory DVD/CDRW Genuine Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit Desktop Computer

Processor - Pentium D 2800 MHz || Memory Installed - 4096mb DDR2 > Upgradeable to 8192MB
Hard Drive - 80Gig Serial ATA || Optical Drive - DVD/CDRW
Internet Connection(s) - The installed 10/100/1000 internal Ethernet port will allow a high speed wired connection. An USB wireless card (Sold Separately) can be added to allow wireless internet access
Software Installed - NEW Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit, word document & spreadsheet applications, virus protection along with a Recovery Partition installed on the hard drive for easy reinstallation. Buy from a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher and know all software is Genuine!!

sswilson March 12, 2012 08:32 PM

If the price is less than $60, and you don't intend to do anything other than surf the web then maybe.......

shawnpaul00 March 12, 2012 08:35 PM

lol its 185. is it really that bad? can i upgrade anything to make it better?

sswilson March 12, 2012 08:42 PM

Heh... yeah, I might spend as much as $100 for that tower if I had a specific need (relative who only wants to do email and/or surf). Just to put this in perspective.... I sold an E6600 tower w/ 4Gig, 250G HDD, dedicated GFX (yeah, it was a cheepo 3450, but that's still eons beyond the performance that'd be on this thing), brand new case + ODD, and a legit win XP install for $150, and I was lucky to get that.

sswilson March 12, 2012 08:54 PM

By "cloud storage", do you mean that you're just looking for storage hooked up to the network or did you have something else in mind? If it's pretty well just storage then you might be able to get away with a linux install to save some coin on the OS.

botat29 March 12, 2012 08:59 PM

Or simply get a NAS, this 80gb will not hold too much storage

shawnpaul00 March 12, 2012 09:09 PM

i will use the os a little bit, but i just want all my devies to connect and share info and store things from my cloud. my old desktop is xp and it doesnt play well with my W7 laptop or i-shit.

zsamz_ March 12, 2012 09:18 PM

the price is ridiculously high
you can buy something cheaper and alot better

i gave away better systems

JD March 13, 2012 04:42 AM

It's expensive because it's a slimline business-class machine. Definitely not ideal for your purposes though since I'm sure it lacks any places for extra hard drives and even if it did, it likely lacks RAID support.

No sense in having "cloud" storage if you don't have plenty of space and redundancy to keep it safe.

Just look at buying a NAS. It'll do everything you want.

shawnpaul00 March 13, 2012 07:46 AM

what is a NAS and how do they work, and does anybody have a better comp they want to sell me? lol.

ps- im not worries about HD size i already have a larger one i will stick in it, just worried about CPU, RAM & BIOS combos.