Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wink New Bulid - Clarify My Cpuz Info Please?

Hi all, just got home to my new build (at work for a month). Anyhow, I downloaded the latest Cpuz and found this:
Although I have a Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 Mhz , 1333 FSB, 6 MB L2 Cache and my MOB is a Evga 780i 1333 FSB,
Cpuz states: Core Speed 2,000 Mhz (sometimes jumps to 2333 Mhz), Mulitiplier seems to jump between 6 and 7 and Core Voltage shows 1.128V
Also the Core Bus Speed states 333 Mhz although the Rated FSB directly below states 1333 Mhz.
Wish I could attach a pic of my Desktop, but not sure how..
I'm trying to attach a .TXT file of the Cpuz info.

Also, I have 4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4-4-4-12 Rated for 2.2 V. When check Cpuz and Memory, showed 5-5-5-18 @ 1.85V (also the settings within Pheonix BIOS), anyhow I changed the Timings within BIOS to 4-4-4-12 and bumped up the Voltage to 2.2V.....But I'm wondering, the fellow that built this for me obvoiusly went with "Auto" for most things in the BIOS, does my CPU speed above look right? Shouldn't it be 3 000 Mhz?

Sorry, a real beginner when it comes to the intricacies. Thnaks

B

New System:
Pentium E8400 3.0 Ghz 1333 FSB 6 MB L2 45 NM
Evga 780i MOBO 1333 FSB
8800 GTX 768 MB
4 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2V
320 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 2
2 x Optical Drives
PC Power and Cooler Quad Silencer 750W
Raidmax Smilidon - 3 x 80 mm / 1 x 120 mm

Old March 21, 2008, 05:31 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The speed that CPU-Z shows is due to the fact that the BIOS setting for EIST is Enabled. When the CPU is at idle, the BIOS changes the multiplier and the voltage to save energy.

As for your ram, the BIOS was probably set up at Auto. Manually changing the timings took care of that.
Old March 21, 2008, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the explanation.....appreciate it! Perhaps I need a copy of BIOS / System Settings For Dummies!
I take it this means that when the system is taxed, the CPU (my E8400) will increase in Speed to the rated 3.0 Mhz?
The BIOS also had settings of:
Multiplier: X6
FSB: 333.3 Mhz

Also, when I tightened my Memory Timings to 4-4-4-12 Windows wouldn't Boot up. So in BIOS I set Voltage to 2.2V. Not sure if this is too high, but I imagine you want to find the sweet spot where things are stable at the minimal Voltage? I did not change the speed, stock 800 Mhz.

Guess this could lead to "how to OC my E8400:

Thanks for the input!

Old March 21, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

To take a screen shot, press "print screen" on your keyboard- open paint select edit, select paste, now save as, voilą screen shot taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If your BIOS is set to 6x multiplier, change it to 9x in order to run at 3.0Ghz. If it just reads 6x in CPU-z, run Prime95 or Orthos to load/test your system. The multiplier should jump back to 9x.

If you leave EIST enabled, your system will slow down the multiplier when it is not under load and raise it back when it is required.

2.2V is not a problem for your memory if it is rated for it. Lots of memory requires the max rated voltage to get the rated timings out of it. Many boards default to 1.8 or 1.85 Volts, and the SPD for the memory is set to slower timings so they will work at lower voltages, being compatible with more systems out of the box. This lower SPD is what your BIOS picks up under auto settings.

Clear as mud?
Old March 21, 2008, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool

Yep thanks for the advice, I'll try setting the multiplier to 9X, I'll also let you know what the Voltage for the CPU (E8400) is at...

Cheers

Old March 21, 2008, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks...think that did it! I did a fair bit of searchinng around on the Net to find out that some folks were having the same issue....that being the 780i (Evga) Board setting the Multiplier to "6" in the Auto set-up...though the E8400 is default 9x 333.3 Mhz.
Anyhow, the parameters were 6 - 9, I set it to 6 and instantly my System now shows 3.0 Ghz....
Cpuz now jumps between 6 and 9....open a few Applications and it sits at "9" @ 3000.3 Mhz.....

The Voltage for the CPU I haven't touched as not only do I not feel comfortable with this just yet...(hey I was pushing it when I upped my Voltage for my Memory), but a number of folks claim they have been OC'ing the E8400 without adjusting the Voltage.

the Maximum my Processor shows that the Multiplier can be set to is 9x.....in order to OC does that mean you have to "up" the 333.3 Mhz to another value?
Sounds like their is a lot to learn with OC'ing!

Thanks again!

BTW....not sure if it was you or not...could have been,(Case Modding Thread),,wanted to know how the Evga 8800 GTX fit in the Raidmax Smilidon Case....it fits fine..so far only 1 HDD...2 HDD no problem....2 HDD amd 8800 GTX in SLI....would work I believe, but would have to be "creative" with mounting the 2nd HDD

Old March 21, 2008, 11:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In order to OC, you will have to up your bus speed. You can start to do this on stock voltages, if I recall correctly I was able to get to about 3.4 Ghz before I had to raise my vCore. I'm currently running at 9x445 at 1.33 vCore. Take small steps. Use Coretemp or HWmonitor to watch your load temps. You'll probably have to raise your voltage on the north bridge as well.

Don't be uncomfortable about your memory, you're not overvolting it beyond it's rating (at least not yet).
Old March 22, 2008, 01:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well its late tongiht, but i'll likely lok for some advice help on this , especially as I get more comfortable navigating my way around in BIOS.

Thanks

Old March 22, 2008, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Well its late tongiht, but i'll likely lok for some advice help on this , especially as I get more comfortable navigating my way around in BIOS.

Thanks
w000000t! Another OC'er. Dude! Ask as many questions as possible! That's what we're here for!