Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASRock X79 Extreme9 Motherboard Review Comment Thread

ASRock had long been content with releasing oddball motherboards that appealed to niche markets but their new X79 Extreme9 charts a completely different course. With it's "Overclocking King" moniker, they are aiming directly for the enthusiast market but can it keep up with the likes of Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI?

Read more here: ASRock X79 Extreme9 Motherboard Review
Old February 29, 2012, 04:39 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Is that Xfast USB on this board the same USB setup you mentioned on Asus motherboards (that makes USB 3.0 faster)? Seems that if it makes USB 2.0 faster it might be something different.

Very thorough review as always. I really like this board. The fast boot utility does not mean much to me as I don't tend to use mobo makers' utilities anyways (but if you do include a feature, it really should work out of the box).

Looking at Canada Computers, this board right now is $399. The Asus Rampage IV Formula is $389. Really, for me to take a plunge on this board they would need to come down in price more if they want me to move away from a trusted brand like the Asus RoG series.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 29, 2012, 05:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Not to mention a longer warranty. A single year just isn't going to cut it.
Old February 29, 2012, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's how confident they are with the quality of their product ?

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old February 29, 2012, 05:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It is an interesting board, and it shows that ASRock is trying. They just need to conform to what is offered out in the market, and drop there price enough that people take the chance to see what there product is about.

Thanks for the Review Eldonko :)

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like it should be called the "Overclocking Duke". Lots of promise, not enough execution.
Old March 1, 2012, 07:52 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Overall solid board, just pricey in Canada otherwise I would have given an award. Between $300 and 350 this board is a winner, above that there are other choices that may be better.

Still confusion on the warranty duration. There is no mention on ASRock website not in the manual. NCIX reports 1 year and Newegg.ca reports 3 year so figure that one out lol.
Old March 1, 2012, 07:57 AM

Xfast USB w/ ASRock is different than ASUS. ASUS uses UASP for turbo, ASSock uses Quality of Service (QoS) protocol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Is that Xfast USB on this board the same USB setup you mentioned on Asus motherboards (that makes USB 3.0 faster)? Seems that if it makes USB 2.0 faster it might be something different.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:04 AM

Got word from ASRock that it is in fact 1 year warranty in Canada. Kind of funny it took them a bit to figure that detail out.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thats a failure then for the board, I hate to say it.
They need to show more faith in there product by offering us a better warranty.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com