Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Finally got my 3820 this morning. Have it overclocked to 4.625Ghz easy with 1.34 Core Voltage 125Mhz Blck 37 multiplier, had to overclock the ram to 1666Mhz and overvolt it to 1.575 but its been running prime 95 for 2+ hours so far.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:50 PM
Trial Member

Cool Performance difference compared to an inferior CPU

Does anyone know why a CPU that supports quad channel memory, has an extra 2MB of level 3 Cache and a faster native clock speed shows barely any increase in performance compared to the 2600K or even the 2500K for that matter. I really was expecting something quite substantial from this new platform.
Old February 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Because no games demand enough memory to strain dual-channel DDR3 buses, L3 cache doesn't benefit a lot of games, and the faster clock speeds are only 100-200 MHz, which is a very small percentage change. More importantly, because it's generally graphics which are the bottleneck on modern resolutions.

This new platform is a substantial boost for those applications which can use large amounts of memory, need multiple high-end graphics cards, or benefit from 8+ threads -- say if you're a computational scientist or rendering high resolution CGI. This particular chip is aimed at two types of buyers, the ones who want the platform with the greatest potential (even if they'd be equally well-served with a Sandy Bridge setup and won't use the SB-E capabilities), or those gamers who want to be certain their multi-GPU setups are not limited by PCI-e lanes.
Old February 28, 2012, 12:03 AM
Rookie

I bought the i7-3820 because I've been waiting to upgrade my i7-920 CPU. I picked up a Rampage IV Gene, 4 x 4 GB G. Skill Sniper Ram and this processor. I also picked up a 7950 video card so I just don't see any good reason not to get this right now.

All in all, I'm a very happy camper :)
Old February 28, 2012, 06:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
It isn't actually running PCIe 3.0 until Ivy Bridge drops. Sandy Bridge doesn't have capabilities for PCIe 3.0. This is also under the assumption that the way board manufacturers have implemented the PCIe 3.0 switching will be compatible. I believe Intel has the Z77 chipset following Ivy's launch which will likely be the "better" choice for PCIe 3.0/USB3.0 users as it will all be natively designed.

Sandy Bridge E is the only way to get PCIe 3.0 currently. I surely wouldn't by a Z68 board with hopes of running PCIe 3.0 on it properly, but that's just me.

Old February 28, 2012, 06:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sandy Bridge E natively supports PCI-E 3.0 without the need for some bizarre switching design.
Old February 28, 2012, 04:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezern View Post
I'm not sure what your trying to convey with that graph...

I was just pointing out that Z68 wasn't designed for PCIe 3.0, nor was Sandy Bridge. It's technically a mainstream platform, so it's not really necessary anyhow. That graph just helps to prove that PCIe 3.0 really isn't necessary either for the 98% of users.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:40 PM
Allstar

would you know if the PCI-E 3.0 and 2.0 tested in this graph are from the same build, meaning just took out the card from 3.0 and popped it into 2.0? Or are they two separate builds?
Old February 29, 2012, 05:30 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It is actually the SAME board and the EXACT same build. The ASUS X79 WS I have allows for PCI-E 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0 to be designated in the BIOS.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I'm not sure what your trying to convey with that graph...

I was just pointing out that Z68 wasn't designed for PCIe 3.0, nor was Sandy Bridge. It's technically a mainstream platform, so it's not really necessary anyhow. That graph just helps to prove that PCIe 3.0 really isn't necessary either for the 98% of users.
I'm trying to convey what I've been conveying since my first post: The i7-3820 is an overpriced and underperforming CPU, for gamers.

PCI-E 3.0 doesn't change that, as demonstrated by HardwareCanucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
would you know if the PCI-E 3.0 and 2.0 tested in this graph are from the same build, meaning just took out the card from 3.0 and popped it into 2.0? Or are they two separate builds?
An excellent question sir(although a bit lazy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwareCanucks
While current generation single and dual GPU cards still fit well within the bandwidth limitations of PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots, Tahitiís creators will be trumpeting PCI-E 3.0 to anyone within earshot. However, does it really make a difference in gaming scenarios? More importantly, will upgrading to a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard allow the HD 7970 to pull further ahead of the competition? To find out, we used an ASUS P9X79 motherboard (which allows users to switch between Gen 2 and Gen 3 PCI-E functionality in its BIOS) along with our usual stable of games and benchmarks. To ensure outside factors didnít play into the equation, the highest resolution and image quality settings were used in every game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageadvisor View Post
Does anyone know why a CPU that supports quad channel memory, has an extra 2MB of level 3 Cache and a faster native clock speed shows barely any increase in performance compared to the 2600K or even the 2500K for that matter. I really was expecting something quite substantial from this new platform.
If you were expecting something quite substantial from this new platform, then you haven't been paying attention.
I will be graceful enough to drop this link a second time: Hard Choices: CPUs | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Intel is under zero pressure to produce something quite substantial, so they don't release something quite substantial. That's the hard cold fact in the current market.
That article isn't needed to reach the same conclusions, but Jeremy Laird writes up what everyone should know by now and he does it well.

Let's go back to the starting point, since someone lost the thread.
I asked if someone should recommend the i7-3820 for gamers, when there is a 100 dollar cheaper CPU which provides almost the same FPS, equal FPS or better FPS, depending on the game.
So I ask again: Given the performance and price of the 2500k, should the i7-3820/LGA2011 be generally recommended over the 2500k/LGA1155 to someone in search of a new gaming PC build?

I'll throw in a second link for those of you who weren't convinced by HardwareCanucks PCI-E 3.0 vs 2.0 test:
Hard Choices: Graphics Cards | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Last edited by Freezern; February 29, 2012 at 08:11 AM.