Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2008, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Best way to test new MBs & CPU?

OK my "new to me" hardware has arrived *big cheers*. I am wondering what's the best way to test it without installing XP with each MB? Do I need XP? Is getting to the BIOS enough to say this stuff is okee doke? I feel like a kid at xmas as I have never had multiple components to play with before.

I have read about Win PE bootable CDROM, is this a good idea? I am a bit clueless here and am doing some research online but would like to hear what you guys do for these situations.

Also, is it possible to just plop my new CPU into my current MB to test it? Will XP still boot?

Thanks! Oh in case you like to know my new goodies are...

Gigabyte MA770 DS3
Asus M2NE-SLI
AMD 5000+ BE

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 20, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What do you mean test? Just ensure that everything works? If that is what you mean just put it together and boot to BIOS, as long as it posts for the most part you are good.

For changing MB on the same OS, you can do it if board is same chipset, just uninstall the sound card and wan drivers and reinstall the new ones, but it is always better to wipe OS with new board.
Old March 20, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks E, what I mean is I'd like to get into Windows. I know a fresh install is the best, but for testing this stuff doing a fresh install each time is just way too time consuming. Ideally if I could boot Windows from a CD or DVD that would be ideal. I have read about doing a repair install after swapping MBs but I don't want to change or possibly corrupt my original XP install. I just want to get into Windows on these boards so I know they are all honky dory.

When all is said and done I will keep the Gigabyte MB and 5000+ CPU and do a fresh install. I will sell everything else including the MB and CPU in my sig.

Am I being too anal about wanting to boot into Windows to be sure it's all good? Thanks again.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 20, 2008, 09:19 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'd say make your USB key bootable (there are tutorials online to tell you how) or use a live cd to run a new version of memtest86+, it will take a little while but if you don't get a BSOD and the test completes without errors you should be fine. This is what I used to do and still do whenever building a new system (not installed in the case though, I run memtest on the components just laying flat on a table).
Old March 20, 2008, 09:31 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You can boot into windows before formating and reinstalling, its just all of your drivers including display will be screwy. But You can at least boot once to see if everything is working.
Old March 20, 2008, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I'd say make your USB key bootable (there are tutorials online to tell you how) or use a live cd to run a new version of memtest86+, it will take a little while but if you don't get a BSOD and the test completes without errors you should be fine. This is what I used to do and still do whenever building a new system (not installed in the case though, I run memtest on the components just laying flat on a table).
Boot from USB sounds a bit tricky? Well compared to creating a bootable CD? Or maybe not, just whenever I have to do anything in DOS flags come up for me - lol. I should tell you I am a graphic designer not an IT guru so I am still kinda n00bish (obviously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
You can boot into windows before formating and reinstalling, its just all of your drivers including display will be screwy. But You can at least boot once to see if everything is working.
Hmmm so this is just inserting the XP disc and not formatting or installing but just booting from the disc? Might be the easiest thing to do. Anything else other than the bolded text that I should be cautious about?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 20, 2008, 02:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just download (I'm assuming you've got access to a computer) the Ubuntu iso (image file) and use something like nero or roxio (there are free programs available) to burn a cd ("from image").

When you boot from that CD you will be able to run memtest as well as booting into ubuntu (from the CD) to do rudimentary testing to see if it picks up things like nic and the like. You won't need to install anything to the hard drive.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 20, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Just download (I'm assuming you've got access to a computer) the Ubuntu iso (image file) and use something like nero or roxio (there are free programs available) to burn a cd ("from image").

When you boot from that CD you will be able to run memtest as well as booting into ubuntu (from the CD) to do rudimentary testing to see if it picks up things like nic and the like. You won't need to install anything to the hard drive.
Well that's exactly what I did and am posting from FF on Ubuntu from my cd right now. Thanks

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 20, 2008, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well the M2N-E SLI is working just fine cuz that's what I am posting with right now from Ubuntu on CD. Don't know a single thing about Linux. Wish there was a built in sysinfo tool? I can see what CPU I am running but not the MB, except in the BIOS. Anyways this is cool me is happy. Now to see about the Gigabyte board!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE