Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Is it worth upgrading for USB3 + SATA3

So I've been using my current setup for nearly a year now and I've been thinking that it may be time for an upgrade. Currently I'm using:

EVGA P55 SLI Motherboard
i5 760 @ 3.0
4gb 1333 G.Skill Ripjaws
40gb Intel X25-V SSD boot drive
500gb Seagate HDD
260gb WD Black HDD
XFX DDBE 7970
All under water

Now... My current motherboard doesn't support SATA3 or USB3 and I've been wondering if it would be worth while upgrading to a newer platform. I'd like to get another SSD or two (Corsair Force GT's or Crucial M4's) to raid as boot drives and most likely get rid of the Intel. With the resale of my motherboard and CPU I figure I can fetch about $200 and can come up with another $300 myself. What's my best bet for $500?

I was thinking a Asus Rampage IV Extreme Z68 Extreme and a 2500k. Is that worth my time? Keep in mind that I have 1 PCI-e GPU with a possible second in the future to help push my massive U2711 as well as a Sound Blaster X-FI HD taking another slot. Not to mention the stupid PCI wireless network card (cant have the modem/router in the computer room).

Worth it? Should I wait for Ivy Bridge? Will I be able to afford Ivy Bridge and if so is it even worth it?
Old February 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I personally dont think its worth it to upgrade right now.

USB3 items are underutilized and overpriced. Most items today dont even use the available bandwidth that it supplies. The situation is nearly identical with SATA6. However some newer SSD's do have a slight performance benefit over SATA3. I'm not sure how the real world benefits play out tbh. AkG would be able to comment better.

I'd save the sheckles you'd spend on that mobo/cpu for a future upgrade, like you mentioned, Ivy bridge or some such.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old February 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just put a card in if your slot is free
Newegg.ca - SYBA Combo Ports USB 3.0 + SATA 6G PCI-e Card, Switchable SATA Port Model SY-PEX50043
obviously this is a base model, only one USB/SATA, but they make larger ones with more connections, hope this helps, and saves you some $.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't noticed any real difference.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

I wouldn't upgrade over that really. There's a real speed difference with USB3 for sure, and SSDs do get a little boost with SATA3, but I wouldn't blow $300 on new technology just for that, that stuff you have is pretty good for now.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Unless you plan on moving LARGE chunks of data (say 2GB or more) from your computer to an external storage device on a nearly daily bassis...USB 3 is no reason to upgrade a rig. As others have mentioned...drop a daughter card in there, the dif in performance is minimal (to non-existent) and not worth the extra cost of a new mobo....let alone the added hassle of a tear down and rebuild.

Not going to sugar coat it.....Sata 3 is a big boost in performance....BUT you have an OLD ssd right now. Drop a M4, Performance Pro or Intel 520 in there. Should give you a nice boost without needing to tear down the entire rig. You wont notice the "lost" performance as it will beat the snot out of what you got NOW.

YMMV but get a cheap USB card IF you really want USB 3 and a new SSD and hold off on upgrading the rig UNLESS you have the money to burn. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Unless you plan on moving LARGE chunks of data (say 2GB or more) from your computer to an external storage device on a nearly daily bassis...USB 3 is no reason to upgrade a rig. As others have mentioned...drop a daughter card in there, the dif in performance is minimal (to non-existent) and not worth the extra cost of a new mobo....let alone the added hassle of a tear down and rebuild.

Not going to sugar coat it.....Sata 3 is a big boost in performance....BUT you have an OLD ssd right now. Drop a M4, Performance Pro or Intel 520 in there. Should give you a nice boost without needing to tear down the entire rig. You wont notice the "lost" performance as it will beat the snot out of what you got NOW.

YMMV but get a cheap USB card IF you really want USB 3 and a new SSD and hold off on upgrading the rig UNLESS you have the money to burn. ;)

Yuppers, Thats what I used to get USB3.0 on mine, and ironically I have a spare one.
Very useful for the external drives that I do move massive chunks of data off of.
Good advice,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
Rookie

I know the feeling. The technology coming out right now is really incredible. Here I am trying hard to run a Phenom x4 9550 BE @3.0ghz, with an old HD 5770, and there's that i7 2700k reaching 4.5ghz with no sweat. Needless to say it's tempting. But with the huge depreciation that occurs with technology, I'd say wait a year if you can. Hopefully by then, the kinks will be worked out with the Sandforce SSD controllers, and like the guys said, USB 3.0 will be standardized. This would in turn lead to a dramatic price drop, and when you do decide to upgrade, you won't be missing out on the new tech, but with the money saved, you can treat yourself enough to do a complete rebuild... with water-cooling - if you want :)

But alas, we are only human. So the alternative is to hold off until Boxing Day, or any other huge sale. I remember I was able to build a workstation for a client totaling $700 after tax and rebates. He's a photo/video-grapher and needed a rendering studio.
Specs: Case - TT A90 / Mobo - MSI 970A-G45 / CPU - AMD 1055T / GPU - PNY GTX 550Ti / RAM - Corsair XMS 2x4GB 1333 / PSU - OCZ ModX 700W / SSD - Corsair Force A120 (120GB) / HDD - Adata 1TB CH11 USB3 / DVD - ASUS DRW

So after all my mumbo-jumbo, the point I'm trying to make is that for the sake of budget, you should wait. You will be able to get the same (revised) tech and your patience will be rewarded with a thicker wallet. Good luck.
Old February 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Alright well it sounds like im just going to spend some money on a couple corsair 8gb vengeance kits and eventually a couple new SSD's

Thanks for the input guys!