Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2012, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Default i5 2500k processor too hot?

Hey guys I just replaced my motherboard and reapplied thermal etc. But when I began to play mw3 and skyrim I noticed the Temperature went all the way up to 80c and even 90c for like 1 sec, Now I don't know my temps before this because I never bothered to check. But however on a game I did test heat on before this replacement it shows at least a 10 degree jump. Now what is weird though is that it shows my processor at 80C but when i feel the heat sink etc, it isn't even hot, so can it be a misread? also I noticed if I alt tab to windows from a game it goes from 70c~80c right down to 35~40c(idle temp) in a few seconds, around 2~3 seconds.

I wanted to know if it is ok to run at 80c? also I plan on buying a new Cpu cooler as the one I have is the intel stock one, so do any of you know any good cpu coolers for a socket 1155?

Also do any of you know any good curing methods for thermal paste? I'm going to reapply thermal paste, see if that helps. Just want your guys' opinion on this.
Old January 30, 2012, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMig View Post
Hey guys I just replaced my motherboard and reapplied thermal etc. But when I began to play mw3 and skyrim I noticed the Temperature went all the way up to 80c and even 90c for like 1 sec, Now I don't know my temps before this because I never bothered to check. But however on a game I did test heat on before this replacement it shows at least a 10 degree jump. Now what is weird though is that it shows my processor at 80C but when i feel the heat sink etc, it isn't even hot, so can it be a misread? also I noticed if I alt tab to windows from a game it goes from 70c~80c right down to 35~40c(idle temp) in a few seconds, around 2~3 seconds.

I wanted to know if it is ok to run at 80c? also I plan on buying a new Cpu cooler as the one I have is the intel stock one, so do any of you know any good cpu coolers for a socket 1155?

Also do any of you know any good curing methods for thermal paste? I'm going to reapply thermal paste, see if that helps. Just want your guys' opinion on this.
Something is wrong period. You should be seeing idle temps of around 40-45 depending on ambient and load around 55-60 TOPS.

Something is not seated properly.
Old January 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Something is wrong period. You should be seeing idle temps of around 40-45 depending on ambient and load around 55-60 TOPS.

Something is not seated properly.
Seems as if it is, I am going to reapply thermal paste, make sure its seated correctly too, need to go to the store to buy those anti lint cloth things or whatever, or can I wipe the old thermal paste with any other cloth?
Old January 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Seems as if it is, I am going to reapply thermal paste, make sure its seated correctly too, need to go to the store to buy those anti lint cloth things or whatever, or can I wipe the old thermal paste with and other cloth?
Wipe it with anything toilet paper, tissue paper, paper tower, face cloth.

If you put new stuff on don't put too much.. Small pea or rice size is plenty.
Old January 30, 2012, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's possible you added too much or too little thermal paste.

The most common method is apply a pea-sized blob in the center of your CPU, then let the pressure from the heat sink spread it out. make sure to clean both the heatsink and the CPU surface with rubbing alcohol and a clean, lint-free rag. Once you've cleaned it, make sure not to touch the surfaces with your skin as the oily residue you'll leave can interfere with the thermal compound.

Maybe your heatsink isn't seated tight enough.

Follow the directions included with your heat sink. If it comes with spring-loaded screws, it's almost foolproof in that the spring-screws will apply the right amount of pressure. If it's just plain screws, you want to be careful not to apply too much pressure (or you'll break things), but you need enough pressure to spread out the thermal paste and ensure that the base of the heatsink contacts the entire CPU.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old January 30, 2012, 02:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Wipe it with anything toilet paper, tissue paper, paper tower, face cloth.

If you put new stuff on don't put too much.. Small pea or rice size is plenty.
Yeah that's the method I use, also what do you think of the line method?
Old January 30, 2012, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Yeah that's the method I use, also what do you think of the line method?
Line works fine just as long as you don't overdue is at well.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:48 AM
Top Prospect

Definitely sounds as if the heatsink is not making good contact. If you are seeing 80c the heatsink should be plenty warm to the touch. Is this the stock heatsink? Are you overclocking?
Old February 17, 2012, 11:11 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Mount is not right, but for $20 I would toss on a better cooler
Coolermaster Hyper 101I Direct Contact 2 Heatpipe CPU Heatsink LGA1155 LGA1156 775 80MM Bearing Fan - COOLERMASTER - RR-H101-22FK-RI
should be around $20 shipped for open boxed one.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

what are you using to monitor your temps? I have seen with HWMonitor show my cpu temp at 90c, however core temps are correct, hence why i only use realtemp now...