Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2012, 08:39 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS Sabertooth X79 Motherboard Review Comment Thread

In mid November we saw the launch of the enthusiast-based Sandy Bridge Extreme platform along with the X79 (code name Patsburg) chipsets and since then we have brought you reviews of the i7-3960X CPU and the Rampage IV Extreme motherboard. Today we continue our walk down the LGA2011 road and bring you another highly anticipated board from ASUS: the Sabertooth X79.

Read more here: ASUS Sabertooth X79 Motherboard Review
Old January 25, 2012, 08:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the Excellent REview. Its for sure a interesting board, and its nice to see ASUS continue with a lot of unique design keys and features.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 25, 2012, 08:53 AM
F@H

Wow that's quite the heatsinks they have on that motherboard, seems they really want to promote overclocking with it.

Though why are we still only seeing 2 SATA 3.0 slots on most motherboards, especially high end ones?

All in all a rather informative and great review, definitely an overclocker's board to have for x79.
Old January 25, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thx :)

As far as I know the chipset supports up to 6 SATA 6Gb/s but you are right most boards Ive seen have 2 ports. For this board they added the Marvell controller to run ASUS SSD caching so perhaps there wasnt space for more. Hard to say.
Old January 25, 2012, 09:07 AM

Actually now that I think about it the final version of X79 has 2 SATA 6Gb/s instead of 6. That was one of the things that Intel cut at the last minute. They said the SAS RAID controller had unreliable performance so dropped it to 2.
Old January 25, 2012, 09:21 AM
F@H

Ah thanks for that, it's been something that's been bugging me for a while on high end boards.
Old January 25, 2012, 09:28 AM

Yeah I had totally forgotten about that. Have to update the chipset section.

Supposedly there will be a new patsburg revision at some point that Intel said will allow 4 SATA 3 ports but they dont guarantee performance or data integrity so mb manufactures have to make the call whether to include the extra ports or not. I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for those extra 2 ports..
Old January 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Added to my wish list..............
Old January 25, 2012, 09:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think a board like this would actually be really good in testing Cases. Given the amount of polling points for Temp (thanks to thermal radar) you have a better picture of a case's airflow dynamics.
Might be something I'll consider in the future when I have the coin to do X79.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 25, 2012, 01:04 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the great review !!
There is a very small typo in the first picture of the 6th page ( A Closer Look at the Sabertooth X79),
We should read "DDR3 slots channels C and D" instead of "B and C" ....