Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thank you, will leave to SKY to fix as I cant access once review is live.
Old January 25, 2012, 12:37 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Love the temp radar feature,and like that it has the Intel NIC. Like that it has the faster USB 3.0 (UASP?) feature like the RIVE. I hate the colour scheme though (feel stupid when I complain about the colours but it is something important to me...) But still on my short list of X79 boards. $50 cheaper than the RIVF, and has most of the features I want.

Also appreciate the work you did on LLC levels. Great review.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 25, 2012, 12:44 PM

Thank you and yes it uses UAS Protocol (UASP) for USB 3.0 turbo. Standard across ASUS X79 now I believe.
Old January 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have been reading reviews of the X79 motherboards as I will be purchasing one in March or April. So far I have been leaning to the Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2. I like the fact of just four memory slots any more to me is a wast of Mobo space. I also like the on board sound on the Assassin 2. Also of great importance to me is Crossfire support. I don't recall Sky mentioning it in the review. Anyways this board is in the number 2 position for me at the present time. So Sky since the Crossfire support is very important to a lot of people could you clarify the boards ability to handle it. If I missed my sincere apologies.
Old January 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Its on the specifications and features page under Multi-GPU support. Also all X79 board support SLI and Crossfire.

ASUS Sabertooth X79 Motherboard Review

Last edited by dlactin2408; January 25, 2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 25, 2012, 03:29 PM

Wow that is the first Ive seen of someone preferring to have less RAM slots.. What if you want to run 32GB? With 4 slots you will have to spend 6x the amount on 8GB modules. There really is no disadvantage of having 8 slots that I can think of..

I actually did the review so Ill answer your question -> Yes the board supports CrossFire and quad fire if you have dual GPU video cards. I cant comment on the assassin 2 because I havent used one but the key difference is the NIC and soundcard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgf View Post
I have been reading reviews of the X79 motherboards as I will be purchasing one in March or April. So far I have been leaning to the Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2. I like the fact of just four memory slots any more to me is a wast of Mobo space. I also like the on board sound on the Assassin 2. Also of great importance to me is Crossfire support. I don't recall Sky mentioning it in the review. Anyways this board is in the number 2 position for me at the present time. So Sky since the Crossfire support is very important to a lot of people could you clarify the boards ability to handle it. If I missed my sincere apologies.
Old January 26, 2012, 01:52 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks dlactin2408 and Eldonko for the update, I actually surmised that the board would run Crossfire because Asus would be stupid to not include it. As for the memory, I have been running 15 gigs for over two years and although I play with PS and video a lot I have never come close to that limit of memory. Another important item is the the layout of the i/o slots which Gigabyte is perfect for me. I also am a HP retiree and of course computers are one my hobbies and I upgrade to the latest and greatest every two years. So If memory was a problem then it wouldn't be a long wait. Although I do not post that much I am an avid daily follower of HWC. There plenty of intelligent and friendly people on this forum. So a very big Thank You to all of you. Also a little late but may the Year of the Dragon be the best year of your life.
Old January 26, 2012, 02:18 PM

Cheers bgf :)