Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Look what I picked up for St. Paddy's day weekend!

On my way home from work today I stopped by the LCBO and picked up some nice cans of Guinness!

Oh yeah... on my way to the LCBO I also popped into Infonec and grabbed a QX9650 and another 3870 X2.

Here are some pics of my new acquisition.

CPUZ and others to follow.

Something weird is happening.. I switched from a Dual core and now my machine is only reading two of the four cores....

Time to figure this out!
Old March 14, 2008, 05:50 PM
MVP
F@H

Sweet, oh by the way Zlojack in case you have not noticed I got all my gear roughed into the vase and I am currently updating windows. CPU-z reported that the 8400 I purchased from you is working at stock speeds. I have not even considered clocking yet but may play a bit on the weekend.

Thanks for the purchase, it was a pleasure dealing with you.

NOW get your rig together and make 'er fly.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old March 14, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HAHA- sounds like something I'd do only in different order: I'd stop by the liquor store first...maybe drink a few...lose my better judgement...then buy the hardware.

did you try restoring defaults in the bios?

Also- you should definitely get HWC some HWBot points with that rig- you're not stuck on stock cooling are you?
Old March 14, 2008, 05:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
HAHA- sounds like something I'd do only in different order: I'd stop by the liquor store first...maybe drink a few...lose my better judgement...then buy the hardware.

Also- you should definitely get HWC some HWBot points with that rig- you're not stuck on stock cooling are you?
Spoken like a true Canadian!
Old March 14, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasheKicker View Post
Sweet, oh by the way Zlojack in case you have not noticed I got all my gear roughed into the vase and I am currently updating windows. CPU-z reported that the 8400 I purchased from you is working at stock speeds. I have not even considered clocking yet but may play a bit on the weekend.

Thanks for the purchase, it was a pleasure dealing with you.

NOW get your rig together and make 'er fly.
Same here bro! Good luck with it. I can honestly say there were a few moments where I questioned my sanity for selling a 4.0 GHz chip...but now I feel ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post

I fixed the core thing... it was Vista. I went into MSCONFIG and had to fiddle with some advanced boot settings, but now, to quote Booger from Revenge of the Nerds "We've got bush!"

The coretemp readings seem a bit screwy to me...

Oh and Cashekicker, no stock for me. You noticed your stock HSF was totally untouched. This baby is on a TRUE right now and will be under water before long. I'm just finishing the painting on my case and then I will start in on the LC build in the following days!
Old March 14, 2008, 06:17 PM
MVP
F@H

Awsome, I look forward to see what a $1k chip will do.

Well I had to use the stock HS for now until I get a new one. I really want to use a TRUE but also do not want to remove the Crazy cool plates off the back of my X38-DQ6.

Oh the pains of choice. I may also pick up a 3870 X2 in the very near future but also kinda wanna wait to see whats just over the horizon.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old March 14, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can fully recommend you the 3870 X2... no disappointment here!

So I've been babying this chip so far... just starting to push above the VID volts. I was at stock at 1.12v

Now I'm in Windows at 1.14v at 9x376 for 3384 MHz.

I think I'll go to 1.2v and then start bumping FSB and see how far it can go on those volts. I guess the other option is to set a goal for my OC and go there directly, then slowly bump vcore until it works...
Old March 14, 2008, 11:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

nice and nicer, looks like a happy st pattys day in the makings :)
Old March 15, 2008, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright... working on 3.6 GHz at 1.24v in CPUZ... core #3 craps out after about 90 minutes of Prime95 Small FFT.

Going to bump it a bit tonight before I go out to 1.25 and see how it does. I want to see how high this can get with as little voltage as possible on air. That way, once I go to water, it will be pretty much set.
Old March 16, 2008, 01:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

sweet rig zlowjack, what do you do for a living i think i need a career change so i can play with nice toys too! let us know what kind of numbers you get on 3dmark :D

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0