Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2012, 02:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67

So looking for some thoughts, Im in the market again, and have set my mind up that its time to do a mobo cpu upgrade.

as the title suggests I'm looking for input on the Asus Maximus Extreme IV P67 version,

I know its a great mobo, I pretty well only game..I know theres no need for such a high-end MB for just gaming, however, i do like to oc, and see how far I can get. i have been trying to hit the 4ghz mark since 2008 and nothing i have had has made it here, I think that utilizing this mobo and HOPEFULLY a decent 2500K i can achieve this. The other reason is because ROG. ROG has become a statement among enthusiasts. Only rich kids and Enthusiasts purchase Asus ROG motherboards (yeah im profiling and may be exaggerating, but I think ROG makes a statement in itself, and have wanted one since me 775 days. What is the community's thoughts an opinions on this motherboard.
Really looking forward to anyones opinions that actually own this board. or the z68 version, but also anyone who has owned ANY ROG Motherboard.
Old January 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maximus IV Gene-Z, solid board, great price, plenty of features. It will let you Crossfire, SLI, or use onboard if your GPU dies.
Clocks chips like crazy, 4.0 GHz will be a breeze on stock voltages on a 2500K. Provided you have good enough cooling, you should be able to get up to 4.8 on a modest voltage increase.
Old January 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Maximus IV Gene-Z, solid board, great price, plenty of features. It will let you Crossfire, SLI, or use onboard if your GPU dies.
Clocks chips like crazy, 4.0 GHz will be a breeze on stock voltages on a 2500K. Provided you have good enough cooling, you should be able to get up to 4.8 on a modest voltage increase.

yes great little board
was super easy to clock my 2600k to 5.0
i sold mine to get the mive
only cause i thinkin to sli or xfire and no room for my essence sxt

you only gonna get a 300-800 mhz more with the big brother
the mive got my cpu to 5.1 with same voltage as 5.0 with the gene-z
spacing is alot better on the mive

if you dont need xtra space or slots get the gene-z
best board for your $

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old January 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I picked up an EVGA z68 FTW this week as I needed a board for triple SLI abecause the ROG board had a few too many more features giving it $130 more price tag. It aesthetically is close to the maximus boards.

Personally if you're not using the added nf200 chip for more PCIE lanes and all the other features save your money and go with a under $200 board like the gigabyte black boards, the matx ROG, evga SLI. All these boards should bring a 2500k to 4.5ghz with minimal effort.
Old January 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsamz_ View Post
yes great little board
was super easy to clock my 2600k to 5.0
i sold mine to get the mive
only cause i thinkin to sli or xfire and no room for my essence sxt

you only gonna get a 300-800 mhz more with the big brother
the mive got my cpu to 5.1 with same voltage as 5.0 with the gene-z
spacing is alot better on the mive

if you dont need xtra space or slots get the gene-z
best board for your $
do i need the extra space? nope
extra slots? nope.
crossfire soon? nope.
the MINOR diff in oc? Matters bit morally.
Size in general....Call me the average man, YES size does matter... I couldnt stand looking in my case and seeing a "dinky" little mobo. I dunno why but cant grasp myself to go matx, i want a full zixe, or in this case an extended atx. bigger is better right?
Old January 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

In terms of great looking overclockable boards that don't have a huge price overhead:

Gigabyte UD4:

EVGA SLI:

Asrock extreme4:

On the small side
Asus Maximus Gene:

On the expensive side ($240)
EVGA FTW:
Old January 13, 2012, 03:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
In terms of great looking overclockable boards that don't have a huge price overhead:

Gigabyte UD4:

EVGA SLI:

Asrock extreme4:

Asus Maximus Gene:
yes very true, and with the exception to the Maximus GENE which is matx (which as stated im not a fan of, just because of some stupid "size matters issue") are they ROG? IMHO, ROG is the equivelent to driving a ferrari...is 200K+ NEEDED for a mode of transportation, yes it is faster, but does it matter in the long run? No, but the purpose is a statement of style and overall power an agility
Old January 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

BTW I wanna say keep the comments and what not comming and THANK YOU guys, great to have these opinions...and perhaps someone can sway me, The EVGA FTW is pretty Sexy...(However if i were to do multi grapics it would be on the amd side? I am ASSUIMNG the EVGA Z68 SLI FTW doesnt do Crossfire..)

Last edited by maverick_brent; January 13, 2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Comment on EVGA
Old January 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I do like the EVGA ftw. This pic attached is mine waiting assembly. (Leak Res being RMA'd)

I have a p67 gigabyte-ud4 which has taken my 2600k to 5.2ghz when I was pushing it's limits, but now I'm working on a new project that I'll be using 3 GPUs for so I needed a board with a nf200 chip for more PCI lanes.

My options were the asrock extreme7($340), gigabyte ud7($345), Asus Maximus($370), EVGA FTW($240). After dropping close to $800 on water cooler my budget was long gone and the evga board met my aestetic needs and functionality needs. I'm more looking at practicality matched with organized aesthetics over perceived status symbol of a branding. As long as you put effort it, it looks good and preforms well people give you that epeen thumbs up.
Attached Images

Old January 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

very nice