Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2012, 10:39 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Default Buying a used CPU (Q9650)

Hey guys. I am planning on buying a used CPU, the Q9650 for my home PC.

I just wanted to know, what would you pay attention to when buying it? And what kind of tests would you do on the seller's machine to determine the CPU is working properly.

I though maybe looking at the temps would be a good idea. Running prime95 would be a good idea but you need to run it for a few hours to get a good reading.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Sevada; January 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,348

My System Specs

Default

Well maybe look here to see what is posted Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking - Hardware Canucks
Personally I like OCCT
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada View Post
Hey guys. I am planning on buying a used CPU, the Q9650 for my home PC.

I just wanted to know, what would you pay attention to when buying it? And what kind of tests would you do on the seller's machine to determine the CPU is working properly.

I though maybe looking at the temps would be a good idea. Running prime95 would be a good idea but you need to run it for a few hours to get a good reading.

What are your thoughts?
A CPU either works or it doesn't. Temps mean squat.

If the system will boot with the CPU then buy it. And then just use it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: laval Qc
Posts: 1,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
A CPU either works or it doesn't. Temps mean squat.

If the system will boot with the CPU then buy it. And then just use it.

+1

and if you wanna see the oc potential look @ the vid
lower the vid better the cpu

coretemp will tell you the vid
__________________
maximus IV extreme @ 5.1 1.41v

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsamz_ View Post
+1

and if you wanna see the oc potential look @ the vid
lower the vid better the cpu

coretemp will tell you the vid
Thank you guys for the quick replies. Just a few other questions.

- How much would you pay for a used Q9650? I got it for about 215 USD (170 euros).
- Does the Q9650 also have different version? Just like the Q6600 had B3 and G0.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2012, 04:25 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada View Post
Thank you guys for the quick replies. Just a few other questions.

- How much would you pay for a used Q9650? I got it for about 215 USD (170 euros).
- Does the Q9650 also have different version? Just like the Q6600 had B3 and G0.
I say you paid to much as a q9550 is probably worth more towards 150ish tops and yes they as well had diff versions which performed better
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: laval Qc
Posts: 1,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada View Post
Thank you guys for the quick replies. Just a few other questions.

- How much would you pay for a used Q9650? I got it for about 215 USD (170 euros).
- Does the Q9650 also have different version? Just like the Q6600 had B3 and G0.

considering you can get an i7 for 150-200$ its too much

150 should be max price for a q9650

if you can find a cheap 9550 E0 your better off
__________________
maximus IV extreme @ 5.1 1.41v

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[WTB] Q9550/Q9650 Hitikiro Buy/Sell & Trade 7 November 7, 2010 01:42 PM
q9650 or Corei7 Montsegur97 CPU's and Motherboards 11 November 4, 2010 12:07 PM
[FS] [FS] Q9650 cryostage Buy/Sell & Trade 24 August 15, 2009 05:05 PM
[WTB] QX Or Q9650 Chromey Buy/Sell & Trade 6 June 24, 2009 04:25 PM