Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   New Build - Could use some advice (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/5003-new-build-could-use-some-advice.html)

nophen March 11, 2008 01:50 AM

New Build - Could use some advice

Hello
Well my p4 3.0, Raptor 74gb, 9800XT finally died on me after 5 years and I've spent the last two days skimming over as much as possible on all the hardware forums out there:help:. I've been Reading about SATA/SLi/48x/DDR3/45nm/Dual&Quad Core/Ram Timings and Voltage/Unheard of brand names, and I can't say I've gotten very far, so I'm going to try and build this rig to hopefully learn a thing or two and experiment in OC'in when I get some balls. Anyways i've come up with this:

Intel C2D e8400
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
eVGA 8800GT 600MHZ 512mb w/ HR-03
Mushkin EM PC2-6400 (2x1GB) DDR2-800 5-5-5-18 or G.Skill PC2-6400 (2x1GB) DDR2-800 5-5-5-15
Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB cache
Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
Antec p182
PSU ??
CPU heatsink ??

So I'm undecided about the ram, if those are even good choices for the board. If not let me know. I'm bent on getting the e8400, but does anyone know relatively how long till they're back in stock? I was also wondering about whether there are any other Hard Drives out there that perform generally the same as the 7200.11 but with 250GB (I'm trying to save a little cash)? I've got no clue about the PSU any recommendations would be appreciated, as well as any advice on a CPU heatsink for overclocking the e8400.
Thanks in advance, and great site btw:canadianwave:

Babrbarossa March 11, 2008 05:44 AM

Welcome! For coolers the thermalright ultra 120 is one of the best coolers out there while the arctic cooling freezer pro 7 is the best value at about 20 bucks.

There a corsair PSU that's on sale in our forum specials right now that is a great psu for a good price.

Here's a 500 GB Sata2 HD 7200 for only $106-

...and good luck with the e8400

nophen March 11, 2008 08:01 PM

Hey, Thanks for the quick reply Babrbarossa, and thanks for the link to the $102 7200.11, although I'm a bit apprehensive about buying open box products. I'll look into both those coolers as well. About the ram, would one be better in terms of stability and OC'in, or does it really just come down to personally prefence, and eni meeni mini mo for people (me) who haven't tried either? I'll definitely need luck getting through a month without my own computer, hopefully the price drops a bit in april as well.

D1rtyB1rd March 11, 2008 09:06 PM

Hey nophen, I would say great choice on the board, heres a good PSU to consider : http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...1&promoid=1051. The HD that Babrbarossa recommended was $106 new, but i believe that sale ends in half an hour. Actually, so does the PSU price in the link, but use the price comparison feature and you can find some decent prices. I would highly recommend the TRUE with a good fan if you plan to overclock. I'm not gonna touch the question about ram, but here is some decent stuff to look at: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...R&promoid=1051. You can usually find it on sale as well. GL!

Babrbarossa March 11, 2008 09:13 PM

The 500 GB HD is on sale for 106 at NCIX - no need to buy the open box. There is also a goo dprice on Crucial Ballistix PC2 8500 right now at NCIX- this kit is always a safe bet - while these days they don't often perform at much beyong spec, they do have Micron D9chips which are typically the better OC species so you can't go wrong

nophen March 12, 2008 12:31 PM

Oh wow I cant believe I didn't see that haha i feel stupid. But I did find it for $91.95 - Pcvonline.com, Buy Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA NCQ 3GB/S 32MB Cache Hard Drive -- ST3500320AS so that kind of makes up for it.
Thanks for the suggestion on a PSU B1rd, that'll probably be the one I go with, I just read a couple reviews on it, wish I bought it yesterday though:censored:. I'm even more confused about the ram now though haha. I'll look into those two suggestions as well now. When you say they don't perform much beyond spec, are you talking about the Crucial Ballistix or just all ram in general?
Thanks for the help guys.

Babrbarossa March 12, 2008 12:49 PM

The better ddr2 600 kits will overclock quite a bit, but it seems these days that it's pretty hard to get any set of pc2 8500 go overclock very far beyond spec- people having some luck with dominators and some mushkins i guess

low351 March 12, 2008 01:22 PM

If you're looking in that price range for a PSU then I'd suggest the Silverstone Olympia 650W over the Corsair. The Corsair is no slouch but it has triple rails rather than the single high amperage rail that the Silverstone uses. I wish I'd done my homework about that issue and consulted Skymtl before I bought my first PSU, the 700W OCZ gameXstream, it has four rails but now I find out they are "Virtual" which as I understand it isn't as good.

Here's a link to the Silverstone. Before you buy it I recommend you PM skymtl though and ask him if he has any recommendations. There is also a 750W model but you'll probably be fine with the 600 with your single 8800GT.

nophen March 12, 2008 02:28 PM

According to skymtl's review on the Corsair it functions as a single rail.
"First of all this is actually a SINGLE RAIL PSU. I have no diea what they say it has 3 distinct +12V rails but there are no OCP circuits to speak of...so single rail it is."
But I will pm him and see if he has any advice, thanks.

biff March 12, 2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nophen (Post 45624)
I have no diea what they say it has 3 distinct +12V rails but there are no OCP circuits to speak of...so single rail it is.

OCP has nothing to do with a PSU being defined as a single or multiple rail unit. A single rail will have one high current 12V regulator. If they then have for example three lines coming off of that single rail each of which is current limited then it is still technically a single rail setup and you do not get the benefits of a multi rail unit. If a PSU like this example is being sold as a "multi-rail" unit then it's just marketing games.

A multi rail PSU will have multiple 12V regulators on it thus providing independent 12V rails. The advantage of this is that any electrical noise that may be caused by a load on one rail will not affect a load on another rail, or at least have very negligible effect.

There are advantages to both setups depending on what you plan on running off of them. In most case I would think example 2 is the more desirable but if one wanted a large 12V load like a pelt cell then a single rail unit is probably a better choice as a good size pelt would probably pull too much current for one individual rail of a true multi rail PSU.

Clear as mud?