Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2008, 09:00 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I used to have 3 Gigabyte boards as of last week... all using Mushkin. EM2/HP2s are cheap, stable sticks - both sets managed to hit 1000 MHz while folding. If you want more speed, you can always choose the XP Redline version.
Old March 12, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
So a pelt cell would be included in a w.c. loop to lower the temp of your coolant then?
You've got the idea and one could be used that way as a chiller but AFAIK all attempts at that type of design have fallen short of their expectations. The usual way to do it is have it sandwiched between a cold plate (a.k.a. chunk of copper) and a water block. The cold plate is what makes contact with the CPU.

I have a peltier that I bought a few years ago that I never used, it's rated at 226W which is IIRC a heat load number used in the equations. The full load amps of this Peltier at 12V is 24A or 288W. The Peltier moves heat from one side to the other making one side cold, the CPU side, and one side HOT, the side against the water block. Very roughly calculated as I can't remember exactly at this point, the heat dumped into the water loop is the heat it moves from the cold side plus the power it uses it self. So you could be looking at dumping 400W to 500W into the WC loop. That's a lot!

I'm not sure if pelts have gotten bigger since then but at any rate if I wanted to run this thing off a split rail PSU I'm sure I'd be out of luck.

Sorry for the confusion.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old March 13, 2008, 05:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WOW- why did you never try it out, biff?
Old March 14, 2008, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
WOW- why did you never try it out, biff?
With the stupid amount of heat these things put out I wanted a fail-safe setup. If the pelt is energized and the water isn't flowing it'd burn up in seconds I would assume, also if the comp turns on and the pelt isn't active the CPU would overheat quickly, and I wasn't sure about shut down but I wanted the water to flow for 30s(ish) after the pelt was shut down to get rid of the rest of the heat. I wanted to sequence everything properly, I did have a good idea of how I was going to build it but never got to it.... maybe some day.

I want to include an active circuit in the power supply to the pelt too. I figure that (just to pull some numbers out of thin air) if the pelt can only keep the CPU at say 5C at full load I see little use to let the CPU get much colder than this at idle. So I wanted a sort or auto temp control built into it as well and was going to use the on die diode for sensing (this was with a 2500+ Barton). Again had a good idea of what to do but never did it.

I think I was trying to be a little too fancy and pooched myself out of getting a project done.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water