Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
Rookie

Default Upgrade Advice: From i7 920 to...?

Hello! I'm considering upgrading my desktop PC's CPU and motherboard. Though I've made minor upgrades since, the core of the system is an Intel Core i7 920 (late 2009).

Questions:

1. Are there any new AMD processors that would be worth the upgrade? Some of the six and eight core FX-Series look appealing, but would any of these be worthwhile given my current CPU?

2. Do any of the current $250-$300 Core i7s offer anything that would make an upgrade worthwhile - and worth the cost?

General Info: I use the PC for work, general multitasking and occasional video encoding.

Thanks for the input!

-M
Old December 26, 2011, 11:09 AM

My System Specs

Do you already have an SSD? If you don't it would make a much bigger impact on performance than any CPU upgrade.

Don't suppose you could post the rest of your rig?
Old December 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you haven't done so already, buy yourself a new CPU cooler and OC that 920. There are very few reasons to upgrade from it.
Old December 26, 2011, 11:23 AM
Rookie

I do have an SSD, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and a GeForce GTS 250 GPU. I have a third-party air cooler for the 920 - what would you suggest for overclocking, Keywork?

Last edited by Nich1701; January 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old December 26, 2011, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich1701 View Post
I do have an SSD, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and a GeForce GTS 250 GPU. I have a third-party air cooler for the 920 - what would you suggest for overclocking, Keywork?
h80/100

upgrade that gpu ... that gts 250 is crap
Old December 26, 2011, 11:30 AM
Rookie

If I'm not much of a gamer, why would I need to upgrade the GPU? And if I were to do so, what would your recommendation be, enaberif?

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!
Old December 26, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
If I'm not much of a gamer, why would I need to upgrade the GPU? And if I were to do so, what would your recommendation be, enaberif?

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!
sorry missed the "not so much a gamer" disclaimer.

and if that is the case I would just leave your system as is
Old December 26, 2011, 11:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would say just add some RAM. 4GB is not that much of enough these days for multitasking.
Old December 26, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah you won't benefit much from a CPU upgrade, the i7 920 is still a decent chip.

You will benefit from an overclock though for sure. They're pretty easy to get to 3.8GHz, or higher if you please, depending on your chip (C0, D0..) and heat restrictions.

If you don't game than there is no reason to upgrade your GPU..

So focus on overclocking. If you're itching to spend, spend some money on a sound card and some headphones if you listen to music on your computer. You can get a wicked setup for ~200 (or more obviously)
Old December 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Hello! I'm considering upgrading my desktop PC's CPU and motherboard. Though I've made minor upgrades since, the core of the system is an Intel Core i7 920 (late 2009).

Questions:

1. Are there any new AMD processors that would be worth the upgrade? Some of the six and eight core FX-Series look appealing, but would any of these be worthwhile given my current CPU?

2. Do any of the current $250-$300 Core i7s offer anything that would make an upgrade worthwhile - and worth the cost?

General Info: I use the PC for work, general multitasking and occasional video encoding.

Thanks for the input!

-M
I agree that you're better off trying to overclock than spending on a new CPU/Mobo/RAM.
1. Everything AMD has released up to this point is slower than your i7 920.
2. IIRC the only new Core i7 in the $250-300 range is the LOCKED i7 2600 (overclock limited to ~4.0 GHz).
SEE: AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 Processor Review
The new Intel Z68+Sandy Bridge platform does have additional features like Quick Sync (boosts encoding tasks), IRT (allows you to use SSD as cache for hard drive), and lower power consumption if any of that is useful to you. As for raw speed, you won't gain much.

Quote:
If you already have a 3rd-party cooler that exceeds the performance of the stock cooler, I say start trying to overclock and see if you need to buy anything after you get stuck. I skipped that generation of CPU, so I can't give any specific advice.
I normally just change one variable (e.g. multiplier, "bus" speed), take notes, run stability tests, then take more notes after the stability test finishes.