Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2011, 08:25 PM
Rookie

Default which motherboard should i get?

Hey linus,i'm planing on build a rig(in FEB or later) with an my plan is to go with a AMD bulldozer(either 8150 or 8170,if it is out when i build,or if i am willing to wait for it),start with the 8gb of ram i listed(but buy another 8gb a year later if i feel i need it),for the video card i am planing on getting 1 MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 2GB to start,and picking up another 1 or 2 a year later if i think i need it,i'm also planing on going with the Cooler Master HAF-X case(but install a second 200mm on the top,and a 120mm in the GPU brace),a corsair 1050w psu,and a 60GB SATA 3 SSD,then i will reuse my mouse,keyboard,monitor,and my 1.5TB hard drive from my current rig.I am also planing on getting a Hyper 212+ cooler,and i do plan on doing a little overclocking,also my total budget for everything is 1500-1600$(MABYE more if i am lucky),with the parts i have picked so far it will be 1321$ without the mobo.
I was at first thinking of the 990FXA UD5,them someone said the UD7,then i noticed that the GD80,you used in the 8150 vs 2500k test,was cheaper than the UD7,so i'm not so sure which to get.

So what mobo would you suggest?

I will take mobo suggestions from other people,but i am asking Linus,cause he has experience with many different motherboards,so i thought he would be the best person to ask.

Also my plans are to try out the Bulldozer cpu for about 2 weeks,and if it is really as bad as people are saying it is,i will return it,and the hyper 212+ cooler,and spend that money on a 1100T and an H50(or higher).

Thank you so much for any and all help.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

DO NOT get the 8150, go for a 2500k or 2600k. The 7*** will be released by feb, or at least a paper launch so that would be your best bet. And also that PSU is overkill for your needs.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
DO NOT get the 8150, go for a 2500k or 2600k. The 7*** will be released by feb, or at least a paper launch so that would be your best bet. And also that PSU is overkill for your needs.
Well i am going AMD either way,i have a few reasons why,and i can post them if you want.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainergames View Post
Well i am going AMD either way,i have a few reasons why,and i can post them if you want.
Then expect to either spend money for a rig that is down right OLD (ie 1090T based rig) or one that is over priced, under performs and runs hot while doing all that (ie the abortion called the BD 8150).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 18, 2011, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Then the 1100T would be your best bet.
But i am curious as to your reasoning. (I'm no intel fanboy, i run AMD myself)
Old December 18, 2011, 09:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Then the 1100T would be your best bet.
But i am curious as to your reasoning. (I'm no intel fanboy, i run AMD myself)
Ok one,is i have around 10 pc's(most i don't use anymore),intels from an intel celron 1.3ghz,p4 1.8ghz,p4 530 3ghz,a q6600,and a q9450,and amd's from an AMD K2 450mhz cpu(in an old laptop),and 2 athlon 64's a 3300+ ,and a 3800+,and a amd Athlon x2 5600+,plus mabye some others from both sides that i don't have any more,and i have to say that the intels have been mostly problems for me,and that with the amd i have had little to no problems, EX.the laptop i have it still runs great,it's running windows XP,and it does not slow down,does not freeze up on me much(not even if i leave them on for a week),same with a amd althon 3300+ 2.4ghz cpu i have,it still runs great,but one EX. of how most of my intel pc's run,i have one that it's a 1.8ghz p4,with 786mb(at the time) of ram,and a 32mb sis video card,and it could not even play this game(TrackMania Nations Forever on Steam would lock up the pc every time i tried to start it,lol,even my current rig(intel q9450 2.66ghz,4gb of 1066mhz ram,and a GTX 460 SE 1GB)i should with those specs be able to record gameplay with fraps smoothly,but i can't,no matter what settings i use(no matter what game i tro to record).

Also i told you my current rig,and i have a friend who had a pc he bought for 1000$ from cyberpower(i think)and it had an amd x4 cpu,4gb of ram,and a OC'd 5770 1gb,and he could get twice the fps,that i would get on the same game in the same res and settings.

Also the i5's/i7's are a year old,and i am not paying $600+ for the 3630k(cause i don't want to spend 2/3 of my budget on the cpu and mobo),with the bulldozer i am getting something new, so it will last me longer.

Also i have talked with someone who owns an fx-8150 and he told me that the benchmarks don't do it justice(i will copy and paste what he said below),and that it proforms noticably better than his 1090T he had before.

"I feel the benchmarks don't accurately represent this possessor. Plus there is a problem with how window 7 read the cache. There is a 10%-15% increase in the windows 8 developer preview. Plus i have seen benchmarks on websites that show lower results then what i am getting @ the same clock speed. Intel owns 99.9%(in theory) of the benchmarking industry so why wouldn't they tip the results in their favor. Intel doesn't play the market "fair" and this is one of the many reason i do not support them.

Intel vs AMD wont matter much longer if Intel keeps giving away all their money in lawsuits.

AMD v. Intel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "

And last but not least, my uncle works for a company that contracts him out,and he is currently contracted out to AMD,which is another reason i want to get an AMD CPU.

And all that is why i am going with an AMD rig this time.
Old December 18, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, I'd still say intel but that's just because AMD is going down the hole processor wise. Your issues weren't with intel, they were probably with either old failing hardware, or you had too much running in the background.
But if you're hardset on AMD, get the 1100T.
Old December 18, 2011, 09:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Honestly, I'd still say intel but that's just because AMD is going down the hole processor wise. Your issues weren't with intel, they were probably with either old failing hardware, or you had too much running in the background.
But if you're hardset on AMD, get the 1100T.
Well as i said,i'm going to try out the bulldozer for 2 weeks,MABYE 3,and if i feel that it is as bad as people say it is,i will return it,and the hyper 212+ cooler,and spend that money on a 1100T and an H50(or higher).
Old December 18, 2011, 09:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The AMD BD processor is inefficient because they used a cheaper program to design it..not people. There is no great Intel conspiracy on benchmarks. Windows 8 may indeed bring a boost in performance for AMD...but in all liklihood it will bring just as large a boost for Intel. AMD with the BD processor basically took Intel's HyperThreading idea and made a HARDWARE based version of it...as Intel probably would not have licensed the tech to them...and AMD does suffer from Not Invented Here syndrome. The end result is a slow, hot running chip that is the modern equivalent of the Intel Pentium 4 line.

Just because something is "new" doesnt mean it is good. The i5 and i7s eat AMD Phenom II's lunch and its a joke what they do to BD.

IF you have your heart set on AMD then getting the "old" Phenom II is a smarter idea. It is cool that you want to vote with your conscience. But do so fully understanding that you will get a lot less value for your money....of course no one said having a conscience was cheap. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 18, 2011, 10:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The AMD BD processor is inefficient because they used a cheaper program to design it..not people. There is no great Intel conspiracy on benchmarks. Windows 8 may indeed bring a boost in performance for AMD...but in all liklihood it will bring just as large a boost for Intel. AMD with the BD processor basically took Intel's HyperThreading idea and made a HARDWARE based version of it...as Intel probably would not have licensed the tech to them...and AMD does suffer from Not Invented Here syndrome. The end result is a slow, hot running chip that is the modern equivalent of the Intel Pentium 4 line.

Just because something is "new" doesnt mean it is good. The i5 and i7s eat AMD Phenom II's lunch and its a joke what they do to BD.

IF you have your heart set on AMD then getting the "old" Phenom II is a smarter idea. It is cool that you want to vote with your conscience. But do so fully understanding that you will get a lot less value for your money....of course no one said having a conscience was cheap. :P
Well like i said twice before,i am going to at least give BD a chance,by trying it out.
so now can you suggest a motherboard,that could support a BD cpu?