Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2011, 05:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Should I get i5 or i7?

Hi

I have come down to 2 options. Both are DELL 15R (N5110) but with different specs.

I need the laptop for Internet Browsing, Youtube, HD Movies (1080p on external display) and I rarely (ones every month or two) do some some photo and video editing. I sometimes play games such as Need For Speed series, GTA IV, Modern Warfare Series, etc but not the heavy types such as Crysis.

I have the two options with a major price different.

OPTION 1:

2nd Gen Core i5 2.4Ghz (3.0Ghz with Turbo boost)
4GB Memory
500GB SATA HDD
NVIDIA GT525M 1GB Graphics card

PRICE: $675

OPTION 2:

2nd Gen Core i7 2.0Ghz (2.9Ghz with turbo boost)
6GB Memory
640GB SATA HDD
NVIDIA GT525M 1GB

PRICE: $899

Memory can be upgraded later and the HDD is not a problem for me because I have an external drive that I use most.

There is a huge price difference so which one do you think I should get? Will the i5 processor be sufficient for my use or should I get the i7 processor.

Waiting for a response.
Old December 8, 2011, 05:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would get the one with I5 because you rarely do editing, cheaper so you can spend the money on ram and maybe an ssd, and the i5 is faster clock to clock
Old December 8, 2011, 05:14 PM
Rookie

Since you only use the laptop for browsing and other everyday usage you'll be fine with the i5. You don't need an i7 if you only encode once every month or so and an i7 wouldn't really benefit you very much gaming wise. Save yourself the $200 and buy something for a ladyfriend haha.

Encoding once every month or two doesn't justify the $200 difference, besides why get a powerful laptop when you could get a desktop that doesn't overheat quickly at home.
Old December 8, 2011, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Agreed with the other two - the GeForce 525M is not exactly a high-end card, so it will limit any of your gaming before the lack of CPU cores will. If I remember the notebookcheck review on the 525M, it already limits you to running new "high-end" games on low.
My laptop's equipped with a Core i5 2410M and GeForce 525M and I just used it to present a real-time video processing system in school, so I'd hardly call the i5 slow (at least for now). It will surely be faster than a C2D E7400 (if your system specs is correct). You'll also save yourself some (or a lot of) battery life choosing the i5 over the i7.
Old December 9, 2011, 03:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Agreed with the other two - the GeForce 525M is not exactly a high-end card, so it will limit any of your gaming before the lack of CPU cores will. If I remember the notebookcheck review on the 525M, it already limits you to running new "high-end" games on low.
My laptop's equipped with a Core i5 2410M and GeForce 525M and I just used it to present a real-time video processing system in school, so I'd hardly call the i5 slow (at least for now). It will surely be faster than a C2D E7400 (if your system specs is correct). You'll also save yourself some (or a lot of) battery life choosing the i5 over the i7.

Does a laptop really consume more battery when having more cores?