Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2011, 02:30 PM
Rookie

Default Linus, SRT-Caching

Hey Linus, love your videos.

So, I watched your SRT-Caching video with a Intel 510 Series: Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT) SSD Caching Featuring Gigabyte NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube

What I am wondering is, what if I decided to used a different SSD? Like a Corsair Force Series GT. But have the same exact set-up as you do in your test?

Will the results be exactly the same even though (Corsair Force Series GT has better read/write/IOPS vs Intel 510 series)? Or will the Corsair Force Series GT SRT-Caching perform A LOT better?

Many thanks from your Canadian friend!
Old December 9, 2011, 08:01 AM
Lyserberg

Basically It all depends on the SSD perfomance,personally i don't like caching my first choice will be installing OS in SSD and leave other data in the HDD,but if you want to cache only make sure u use the enhanced mode instead of maximised otherwise your data could get lost if the power just suddenly shuts OFF :(
What the cache does:it stores your most frequently accessed "FILES" (music,exe,games that kinda stuff) ON THE SSD,so as i said before it all depends on your SSD and of course choosing the SATA3 port if u have an SSD that supports it :)
Old December 11, 2011, 09:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyserberg View Post
Basically It all depends on the SSD perfomance,personally i don't like caching my first choice will be installing OS in SSD and leave other data in the HDD,but if you want to cache only make sure u use the enhanced mode instead of maximised otherwise your data could get lost if the power just suddenly shuts OFF :(
What the cache does:it stores your most frequently accessed "FILES" (music,exe,games that kinda stuff) ON THE SSD,so as i said before it all depends on your SSD and of course choosing the SATA3 port if u have an SSD that supports it :)
Thank you very much!
Old December 11, 2011, 01:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

A SandForce based SSD would not be my first choice for SRT. Even though the sf2281 is much improved in non-trim environments over the first gen....it still is not great at it.

I to prefer to NOT use SRT...BUT for SRT you would be much better served by a Marvel based SSD. For example the Crucial M4 or Intel 510.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 23, 2011, 03:15 PM

I have a little guide coming out soon about SSD caching where I will be comparing Intel SRT to OCZ's new Synapse cache drive.

There are some compelling arguments to be made for using an SSD that is designed for caching (from a performance and reliability standpoint). My viewpoint is that there is probably a REASON that both Intel and Seagate have opted for SLC flash for their caching solutions. The Synapse uses MLC flash, but sets aside half of the capacity of the drive as a spare area to increase durability. This should also help with performance degradation.

Unlike AKG I *DO* recommend SSD caching. It's a great balance between the size of a HDD and the speed of an SSD without breaking the bank on a huge SSD.

That said, I don't use it for my own system because I find the performance to be sub-par now that I'm used to pure SSD speed, but if you're migrating from a hard drive, there is a big performance boost to be had.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647