Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2011, 07:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If your going SSD route and don't want the best just price to performance ration. I would gladly recommend Corsair Force 3 120g or Corsair GT 120g, It is good for the price/performance ratio that it offers. But note its not really the best SSD but it will do the job just fine. Personally as the I5 2500K is just another improved quad-core so I say either stick with you current set up and chuck in a SSD or go and get the Thurban. I got the 1100T after the failure of the bulldozer and I already wasted a lot of money upgrading to get it.
Old December 10, 2011, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

you have a beautiful cpu .Tryto get a motherboard with new features.also you can buy a intel SSD .
Newegg.ca - Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Old December 10, 2011, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I'm going to start over because I didn't realize you already had a 955 x4.

Spend the 500 bux on a nice SSD and then let us know if you don't like your comuter anymore. Get the crucial M4 and you'll be like.. I should have done this ages ago. You might want to consider the Crosshair V mobo if you really wanna kick it up a notch.

I know you have your heart set on the drive above i'm afraid you'll regret purchasing that particular drive.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 10, 2011, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not that I don't appreciate the recommendations, but I find it funny how everyone's recommending a SSD that's twice as expensive as what I plan to buy...

Nah I won't get a new AM3 motherboard. It's either all or nothing.
Old December 10, 2011, 12:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

For what you intend on doing, I can't see why your current setup is inadequate. Especially since you're aiming to game less. I have a 955 too, albeit on a DDR3 board and I've yet to really 'want' more power.

If I were in your shoes, I'd stay put, save for an SSD.

The TRIM command is not passed through AMD boards below the 8xx series; if you aim to get an SSD without upgrading to an AM3 8xx/9xx or Intel platrform, you may need to perform 'Tony TRIM' on a regular basis with certain SSD controllers. But the 'snappiness' gained is quite noticeable.
Old December 10, 2011, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Not that I don't appreciate the recommendations, but I find it funny how everyone's recommending a SSD that's twice as expensive as what I plan to buy...

Nah I won't get a new AM3 motherboard. It's either all or nothing.
Because it is faster and less likely to cause you problems. Also SSD's can bog down without trim and the program someone mentioned will seriously affect your SSD's life span.

At the end of the day your computer is fine and you really don't need to upgrade it but if you must get the crucial m4 you will be happy you did not all SSD's are created equal AKG recommends the m4 and he is an expert.

You can price match this to NCIX
Crucial Technology 128GB m4 SSD 2.5" Solid CT128M4SSD2 B&H

P.S for SCII an i5 2500k will greatly improve your framerates but if they are fine the way they are now there is no point in upgrading.

Last edited by JJThomp; December 10, 2011 at 04:12 PM.