Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
Rookie

Default I dropped my Cpu on the floor, it`s fine??

Hi guys,
so excited to make my first post on this forum

I bought a new dual core e5700 3.0ghz and I couldnt make it work on my mobo, dont know why, because the cpu is compatible with my mobo ( Asus p5ld2-x/1333) I also have the latest bios for this mobo (version 0214), but anyway that`s not the problem, I confirm that the cpu worked It worked on my cousin`s pc. Here`s the problem: today I was just messing around with it, cause I saw something strange, a little hole in the cpu(see picture), and somehow I dropped it on the floor from like 1 meter, as you can see in the picture, there`s a little cracked in the corner. Will this affect the cpu?? I cant check it on my current mobo, Ill check it at my cousin but until than tell me guys what you think. Also tell me what you think about the other picture (with that tiny hole)
Attached Images

Last edited by deiu99; November 22, 2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old November 22, 2011, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

probably fine on both counts.
Old November 22, 2011, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
probably fine on both counts.
thanks for answer, I`d be glad if you`re right, but what`s with that ''hole''?
Old November 22, 2011, 02:12 PM
MVP

I have never seen that before but likely just an inclusion in the metal itself. But that is just a heatshield that goes over the chip to dissipate the heat more evenly to the heatsink and doesn't particularly affect the chip itself. The drop doesn't look real bad.

Also the reason your board doesn't work with that chip is likely the BIOS version. That chip isn't supported until BIOS 0212. If your running an earlier bios, update it and you should be good to go.
Old November 22, 2011, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
I have never seen that before but likely just an inclusion in the metal itself. But that is just a heatshield that goes over the chip to dissipate the heat more evenly to the heatsink and doesn't particularly affect the chip itself. The drop doesn't look real bad.

Also the reason your board doesn't work with that chip is likely the BIOS version. That chip isn't supported until BIOS 0212. If your running an earlier bios, update it and you should be good to go.

seconded
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old November 22, 2011, 02:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post

glad to hear that, and about the mobo, I have the latest version of bios(0214), I updated it myself like 1 year ago