Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2011, 09:14 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS X79 Rampage IV Extreme Review Comment Thread

With Sandy Bridge E processors finally hitting retailer's shelves it was high time that we began looking at some X79 motherboards. The ASUS Rampage IV Extreme is currently one of the most expensive Socket 2011 boards around but it holds to the Republic of Gamers pedigree by offering a long list of features, some of which we have never seen before.

Read more here: ASUS X79 Rampage IV Extreme Socket 2011 Motherboard Review
Old November 20, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say go with ROG no matter what.
I will be asking my self the same thing next week when our LGA2011 CPU's show up for testing next week.

Hate to say this thank you intel rep for giving me a free 6 core CPU after my sob story about how much my Bulldozer 8 Core sucks.

But yes go with the Rampage its an amazing board
Old November 20, 2011, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Holy crap $160 for 32GB.....hmmm.....ramdisk................(slaps myself)I cannot afford!

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 21, 2011, 12:18 AM
MVP

Haha bel, memory is SICK cheap right now. I've paid over $160 for a half a gig back in the day.

The RIVE is just a beast, isn't it? I was expecting it to be the cream of the crop & head and shoulders above the rest....I haven't seen reviews of other boards yet, but reading this review has done nothing to change my mind.
Gigabyte GTX780
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 21, 2011, 01:03 AM
Allstar

anyone have any good [modern] reviews on 'ramdisks'?
Old November 21, 2011, 02:47 AM
Allstar

This review game me more questions than answers, especially in multi-GPU scaling. I'm in no hurry to purchase X79 as I think the picture will get clearer once PCI-E 3.0 cards are released. But it doesn't hurt to ask though;

assuming a future build would be dual slot tri-SLI/CF on PCI-E 3.0 and a sound card on PCI-E, and overclocking would not be the priority, which motherboard would be the perfect one?

The Rive won't be it because using the PCI-e slot will block the 2nd x16 PCI-e 3.0 slot, forcing me to use the last x8 slot instead. That's money flushed down the toilette. Even the MSI GD45, can do the same for $200 less, which as far as I know, seems to have the best layout for the price.
Old November 21, 2011, 03:59 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Earlier in the review (with the table that has the list of features) I noticed that USB 3.0 was missing (internal header not mentioned either) and that had me worried until later in the review when on the board layout the 'missing' USB 3.0 was shown. Phew.

Loving the option for socket 1366 coolers. I love my HK 3.0 Black/Nickel and this board will allow me to keep it. But I think I would wait for some folks to compare a 2011 cooler to a 1366 one (or the same with different brackets) before passing final judgement on the X socket feature.

Looks like this board is a lot of fun. I am loving my Formula, and hoping that they release a Formula version of this one as I don't need all the features.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 21, 2011, 06:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

A Formula version will be released in the next few weeks.
Old November 21, 2011, 07:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Dont know if we are looking at the same table but Im pretty sure USB 3.0 is there. It is also UASP so it is faster than the BOT protocol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Earlier in the review (with the table that has the list of features) I noticed that USB 3.0 was missing (internal header not mentioned either) and that had me worried until later in the review when on the board layout the 'missing' USB 3.0 was shown. Phew.

Loving the option for socket 1366 coolers. I love my HK 3.0 Black/Nickel and this board will allow me to keep it. But I think I would wait for some folks to compare a 2011 cooler to a 1366 one (or the same with different brackets) before passing final judgement on the X socket feature.

Looks like this board is a lot of fun. I am loving my Formula, and hoping that they release a Formula version of this one as I don't need all the features.
Old November 21, 2011, 08:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That is truly one hell of a board, great review by the way as well.