Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2011, 03:27 PM
Rookie

Unhappy I feel like this problem of mine sounds like a murder mystery =/..

Okay, so maybe my computer secretly hates me even when I treat her with love through frequent dustings and maintenance so here's the story.....

My computer was bein loud as heck lately so I decided to try n fix her myself by getting graphite powder n oil to quiet the fan...problem was, I THOUGHT it was the processor fan which it wasn't. I took out the entire processor and put it back in ( BTW, I made sure I seated it right as I actually broke the processor chip yesterday, bought a new one, and got it in there right since I snapped some coils off the previous one yesterday because I put it back in wrong :( ) but here's what happened; now my computer runs and everything is working ( the Hardware, fans, etc.. ), but nothing actually shows up on my screen!

I located the actual problem of the loud noise which was the fan on my graphics card but to my dismay after thoroughly dusting it, the noise did actually go away ( making me think it was the graphics card the entire time ), but nothing still shows up anymore..

The twist to all of this ( I know, I feel like im explaining some crime scene mystery or something ) is this; EVERYTHING was working perfect and fine yesterday ( including my graphics card ) until I actually took out my processor in the first place when trying to fix the fan thinking that the fan(heatsink) on the processor was the actual problem. Problems only came up when I put the processor back in such as the noise from the graphics card getting louder and resetting itself, getting louder and resetting itself. Nevertheless, prior to knowing that, I had to buy a new processor anyways since I broke it through sheer idiocy but alas, after putting the new processor in, the problem is that the symptoms from yesterday regarding the computer running but not starting up are the EXACT same as today leading me to now think it's a lot more than just me breaking my processor that is the actual problem.

I am HOPING my graphics card just died on me rather than this being an actual Motherboard error. But my graphics card fan runs normal just like everything else...

Help ... * sad puppy eyes *
Old November 16, 2011, 04:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Which processor and board was this?
I have a fear you have a bent pin somewhere which is causing an issue somewhere now.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 16, 2011, 04:09 PM
MVP

I agree with ST. Either motherboard died entirely (just recently had the exact same symptoms after I came home to a computer acting like that) or you are grounding the chip/motherboard somewhere. You may have one of the components touching the case. Have you tried resetting CMOS?
Old November 16, 2011, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm a little illiterate with computer terminologies so when you say resetting the CMOS, you're specifically referring to..? ( I hope that's not short for complimentary metal-oxide semi-conductor ), lol.

I have an AMD Phenom 2 3.2 Gigabyte Motherboard.

Regarding the bent pin issue, I made sure with the new one I bought, I was EXTREMELY careful with making sure all the pins were in right this time.

That...would suck if my motherboard died...

But considering the fact that it might not be my processor that is missing 2 or 3 pins, perhaps I could refund that to justify the cost of getting a new motherboard... ( though if I remember correctly, it's better to get a new computer than to go through the trouble of installing a new motherboard?? )
Old November 16, 2011, 11:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow How to Rest CMOS

In some cases the cap may be a different colour, other then yellow, such as blue.

Also, before resetting CMOS, make sure you turn off your machine and ground yourself (touching the case or the PSU), before you stick your fingers in there and zap your mobo.

How To Reset CMOS - YouTube
Old November 17, 2011, 04:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm I wonder if any of the pins in the cpu socket are bent, seeing as you mentioned you bent some on the cpu. This could be causing your problems too
Old November 18, 2011, 05:17 AM
Rookie

Hey guys, I actually found the problem, I didn't lift the little rod that actually secures the processor chip when securing my heatsink over it.

Crazy...I replaced fans and spent 160$ + on trying to figure out the problem and it was all because I didn't lift one metal rod -.-..

...Ouch. Lesson learned.

Thanks so much for all ya'lls help and advice. I really appreciate the people here on the forum and with what little limited knowledge I have, I'll def try my best to help others just as much as you guys have helped me. Thanks again!