Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2011, 12:32 AM
Associate Review Editor

Default Intel Sandy Bridge-E 3960X CPU Review Comment Thread

Hey everyone!

The time for waiting is over, and everything you have wanted to know bout the Intel Sandy Bridge-E processors and the LGA2011 platform in general has now been revealed.

So if you have been dreaming about this moment for the better part of a year, grab your beverage of choice and come check out our review of the Intel Sandy Bridge-E Core i7-3960X CPU.
Old November 14, 2011, 12:34 AM

My System Specs

Kind of disappointed with x79 as a whole. However SB-E looks decent enough. Seems to be a power hog, but I have a strange feeling a lot of that is from the chipset.
Old November 14, 2011, 12:46 AM
Top Prospect

AMD and Intel have officially partnered with power companies.

As for SB-e, it doesn't seem to be worth the price, especially compared to a 2600k.

EDit: (for gaming)
X2: (and for anything that doesnt use more than 4 cores.. so everything)
Folding probably gets 1M PPD though.

Last edited by NI3; November 14, 2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old November 14, 2011, 12:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the awesome review MAC!

Been waiting all night for this

With my splurge of purchases last year, I was thinking I would probably wait until Haswell or the generation afterwards to upgrade again.
Might buy one for work, but definitely not worth it for me for personal use, unless I fold with it...

edit: Can't wait to see what the other lga2011 are able to do, and can't wait to see how people overclock these suckers!

Last edited by Grampa; November 14, 2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old November 14, 2011, 01:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wasn't aware the NDA was dropped, awesome will read now.
Old November 14, 2011, 02:25 AM
Banned

Well suprise suprise ... the "tock" drops & welcome FailedBridge-E to the party. Peaple on this forum want to call bulldozer faildozer .. well i think in this review & others i have read simply says the same thing in that this is FailedBridge-E.

Like i said on here already, I don't know where peaple think intel was gonna pull anymore preformance out of what they have now & FailedBridge-E just shows that further.

- 3 x the cost of a "faildozer"
- as hot or hotter then a "faildozer"
- missing features "faildozer" has

Again if i go by the 4-5 reviews I have looked over "FailedBridge-E" is on a equal footing with "Faildozer". And furthermore I'd take the preformance hit with a "Faildozer" or even Sandy Bridge 2600K $500 cpu/motherboard setup vs a "FailedBridge-E" $1200 cpu/motherboard setup.

Welcome to reality Intel fanboy's ..... Intels top end is not ALWAYS "better" or "the best".

Also btw nice review mac & someone get this man a higher end videocard for his reviews please !!

Last edited by terrybear; November 14, 2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old November 14, 2011, 02:42 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with the cost and TDP - but performance for the most part (and if you have any programs that take advantage of ALL the 8 cores) it is quite impressive.

I was thinking of moving to this - but its quite $$$. It's much cheaper to get a 2600k and have 2/3 performance of the SB-E.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old November 14, 2011, 02:52 AM
Associate Review Editor

I don't really see why people have an issue with the power consumption.

For most people, an i7-2600K/2700K is perfect, overkill even.

However, other people want better performance, and Intel accomplished that with SB-E. It provides a nearly perfectly linear 1% increase in power consumption for every 1% increase in multi-threading performance. It doesn't get any better than that when using the exact same microarchitecture.

And anyone who is complaining about the i7-3960X's price tag is clearly myopic or retarded, since you can buy a chip that is clocked 2.5% lower for 78% less money, it's called the i7-3930K.

Extreme Edition CPU's are a luxury option, like a Rolls-Royce, and no one is forcing you to buy one when you're in the market for a BMW.
Old November 14, 2011, 03:00 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post

However, other people want better performance, and Intel accomplished that with SB-E. It provides a nearly perfectly linear 1% increase in power consumption for every 1% increase in multi-threading performance. It doesn't get any better then that when using the exact same microarchitecture.

And anyone who is complaining about the i7-3960X's price tag is clearly myopic or retarded, since you can buy a chip that is clocked 2.5% lower for 78% less money, it's called the i7-3930K.

Extreme Edition CPU's are a luxury option, like a Rolls-Royce, and no one is forcing you to buy one when you're in the market for a BMW.

My thoughts exactly. This particular processor is not really of interest.

Would like to see some folding numbers. Some of these encoding benchmarks are promising actually. Absolutely nothing here for gamers, unless you have a bunch of monitors with three GPUs (maybe).

I wonder if mobo makers will find a way to unlock those extra cores?
Fold for team #54196
Old November 14, 2011, 03:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post

However, other people want better performance, and Intel accomplished that with SB-E. It provides a nearly perfectly linear 1% increase in power consumption for every 1% increase in multi-threading performance. It doesn't get any better than that when using the exact same microarchitecture.

Right on MAC, well said.
3930k seems like the sweet spot for the enthusiast market.
Should be really interesting to see how these suckers fold!

Anybody know if lga 2011 will be around for more than 2 years?