Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review MAC!
I can't say I see anything unexpected though - it's a bigger 2600k from the looks of it, and it performs / consumes power / requires more stuff on the motherboard as such.
I fear that AMD will have troubles in the server space with this platform's performance / watt - the power bill savings would probably go a long way in paying for the price difference

One thing that does catch my eye is the Team Fortress 2 result - I would've expected no change at all for a Source game. I know ~200 vs ~220 FPS is well out of the range that a gamer will care about, but any guesses about that one? Does the game / video driver like the extra cache or something?
Old November 14, 2011, 12:38 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I disagree. If a gamer has the $$ and wants the best platform on the market then x79 is a no brainer. There is NOTHING that is going to touch x79 for multi GPU performance.
I should have said 'most' gamers aren't enthusiasts. I completely agree, that someone who has the money to spend, can do whatever they want. But, most gamers have 2-3 year old hardware.

Edit:
To clarify, the typical dude, upgrading from his 775/AM3 quad core, is better suited for a 1155.

|
\/

Last edited by NI3; November 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old November 14, 2011, 12:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI3 View Post
This is for enthusiasts, gamers are not enthusiasts. Gamers should not buy this. Gamers should buy a 25/600k.

People who are folding, encoding, all that crazy stuff, those people should buy this.

As for bulldozer.. well the performance/watt is what made people not want it. Sure, price can be adjusted, but power consumption can not. Had the 8150 been a reasonable price, and had the power consumption been in the range of PhII, it'd done a lot better.
Tell that to people who run multiple monitors, plan on running next gen large screen 3D monitors (think 27"ers but NOT at 1080p...in 3D) etc etc. Dual generation 3, x16 capabilities sounds like a killer foundation for a next gen SLIed gamer rig to me.

IMHO as time goes by the difference between the console camp and the PC camp for games is going to grow wider and wider. This will require more and more power to run with ALL the eye candy at ultra high res. I know I have gone from thinking "one 580 is enough" to "I NEED two of the wee beasties" because of 27" PLS monitors. Before 24" was "good enough" for me...now 27" brings games to a whole new level and THIS is the platform that enthusiast "gamers" are going to want. Sure for single gpu setup gamers 1155 will be "good enough"; BUT two 570s vs one 580 (or two 560s vs one 570)....same price'ish....more power with the SLI setup....means 2011 might be the logical choice for - almost - all gamers looking to get a new rig.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 14, 2011, 12:51 PM

Very true. Nvidia said that as of 2011 PC gaming is now 10x more powerful than console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IMHO as time goes by the difference between the console camp and the PC camp for games is going to grow wider and wider.
Old November 14, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Akg , you could'nt have stated the case better.

As a dual monitor user running 2 video cards minimum and as a folder , I've been waiting for SB-e for a year....and it's a serious upgrade from where i'm at..

I have the cash in my hand.

anybody have ETA's on rampage iv motherboards ? Or who's got stock of what ?

/me chafes at the bit.....

Old November 14, 2011, 01:44 PM

No stock anywhere that I know of. Probably another week or 2 I would expect.
Old November 14, 2011, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yep ,

That's what the grunts at memx told me this morning when I showed up.

hahah

Old November 14, 2011, 01:51 PM

You must have a good location nearby. Last time I showed up on launch day they didnt know what I was talking about.
Old November 14, 2011, 01:56 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinStrap View Post
OP, do you have a download available for your video encoding benchmark?

Intel Sandy Bridge-E Core i7-3960X CPU Review

I would like to run this benchmark on my own system to see how it holds.

Thanks!
Tech ARP - x264 HD Benchmark Ver. 4.0
Old November 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yep......SE location.

I've been a memx customer since the very first location....Once I tell em my phone # , they help immediately.

From what they could glean , There is no ETA yet even on the Rampage IV extreme.....The cpu's might be a week or two out.....