Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default CPU rad fan air direction?

Why is it,that every liquid cooler exhausts out of the case? It seems that all you do, is suck hot air from the case.out through the rads. Is that the norm? When I had my Alienware case,I had the fans reversed to bring air from the outside of the case,and let the rear exhaust fan take care of blowing hot air out. My CPU temps dropped over 5c at least. I'm going to reverse the fans on my Level 10 case also. Why do the coolers come set to exhaust hot air through the rads? Would it be better somehow if I didn't reverse the fans? Am I supposed to leave them as delivered? Thanks all.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 7, 2011, 10:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think the opposite is true to be honest. Most of the Corsair LCS products recommend mounting them so they draw fresh air through them. Even people who have custom loops like myself choose to mount fans in push in order to utilize fresh air rather than heated recycled air from within a case.
Old November 7, 2011, 11:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The only real reason I would draw air from outside the case rather than in was if I had massive GPU's that exhausted a lot of their Warm Air back into the case. At that point the heat dump you are trying to avoid makes sense.

There was no difference using my H50 in either configuration on my HAF932. That 200mm at the side and top circulates air so fast that there really isn't 'warm' air to be concerned with in my case.

If I had something like the EVGA DS cards, I might notice a Temp change using my current configuration.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 7, 2011, 04:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's a trade off and dependant on your setup. If you have everything liquid cooled then your board is not emitting much heat into your rads. If you have some massive air cooled video cards then you will see a significantly higher temp of the intake air for your rad.

The positive of blowing air our the rad is that the hot exhaust from your rad (assuming cpu and/or top mount rad) doesn't blanket your mobo. This is not a problem for everyone.

The positive of blowing air into the case is that the radiator gets more efficient at cooling as it has cooler intake gases. Depending on your setup this can heat up your mofset/vregs, nb, sb, mem, ect if you do not have enough airflow over the rest of the board.

So to answer your question you would have to monitor the temp change of mobo components to see if your reversal of air flow is significantly impacting your system. I have a feeling though that you should be able to keep the radiator fan as an intake and not heat up any mobo component.
Old November 7, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

In my case I will run my H80 as exhaust otherwise I won't have any exhaust and no ventilation for the air to escape lol.
Old November 7, 2011, 05:14 PM
Allstar

I have a large exhaust fan plus a reg 120mm so I have my H100 on the front pulling in cool air. keeps things cool, but honestly its the only place I could put it in my case.
Old November 8, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The only real reason I would draw air from outside the case rather than in was if I had massive GPU's that exhausted a lot of their Warm Air back into the case. At that point the heat dump you are trying to avoid makes sense.

There was no difference using my H50 in either configuration on my HAF932. That 200mm at the side and top circulates air so fast that there really isn't 'warm' air to be concerned with in my case.

If I had something like the EVGA DS cards, I might notice a Temp change using my current configuration.

-ST
I'm the guy that transplanted all of my Alienware Area 51 hardware into the Thermaltake Level 10 GT case that I bought. I shouldn't say I did it,my friend Killswitch did it for me. He posted pics here under "New Builds". As can be seen in the pics,there are a lot of fans in that case, including a fairly big rear exhaust fan. The air cooling configuration of that case is why I bought it. The Thermaltake liquid cooler that came with the case was drawing hot air from the inside the case and out through the rads. We reversed the fans to draw air into the case and, bingo! CPU temps dropped up to 10c. With my Alienware AND the Level 10,I had much better results reversing the fans. That's why I was curious as to why they ship CPU coolers with the fans blowing hot air through the rads. Most people with higher end rigs that have liquid cooling etc. generally have higher end Video cards etc. etc.,and the makers of coolers and high air flow cases,should know that. Your HAF has even more fans than the Level 10. Bigger too. I almost went with an HAF case,but I just liked the look of the Level 10, and overall,I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks for your response.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 8, 2011, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I'm the guy that transplanted all of my Alienware Area 51 hardware into the Thermaltake Level 10 GT case that I bought. I shouldn't say I did it,my friend Killswitch did it for me. He posted pics here under "New Builds". As can be seen in the pics,there are a lot of fans in that case, including a fairly big rear exhaust fan. The air cooling configuration of that case is why I bought it. The Thermaltake liquid cooler that came with the case was drawing hot air from the inside the case and out through the rads. We reversed the fans to draw air into the case and, bingo! CPU temps dropped up to 10c. With my Alienware AND the Level 10,I had much better results reversing the fans. That's why I was curious as to why they ship CPU coolers with the fans blowing hot air through the rads. Most people with higher end rigs that have liquid cooling etc. generally have higher end Video cards etc. etc.,and the makers of coolers and high air flow cases,should know that. Your HAF has even more fans than the Level 10. Bigger too. I almost went with an HAF case,but I just liked the look of the Level 10, and overall,I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks for your response.
A lot of it can come down to how the airflow dynamics work within the said case too. In your situation there was an improvement. My case there was not, probably due to how our cases deal with the intake and exhaust of the air.
I wanted to get a Level 10 but it was too much coin. The HAF is a staple of what a case should have for Airflow, which is probably why my hardware does so well.

Good to hear you got yours going good. I find with all these situations there isn't "one answer fits all" its situational.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 8, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's not quite right yet. The cooler pump makes a very loud hum or buzz that drives me nuts. Thermaltake has replaced it,so I'm waiting for Killswitch to help me change it. Other than the noisy pump,this thing is SUPER quiet.