Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2011, 07:04 PM
Rookie

Default Motherboard and Cpu help!

Hello,
I got a question or some questions :)
Im thinking about getting myself a new Motherboard,

Im thinking about the Asus sabertooth p67, Asus P8P67 deluxe or Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/gen3

The question is, Whats the big difference? P67 is for cpu oc? Z68 is for cpu and gpu? So I cant even oc my gpu just a bit from the Catalyst center ?

The other question is about the Cpu,
Im planning to get the I7 2600k, but noticed that the 2700k will be released in a week, here in my country, so it the 2700k worth waiting for? And will those motherboards still work with the 2700k? Or are asus and the other companys planning for a new motherboard? Besides that its still 1155 sockel?

Im confused?
Help please :)

/Hagge
Old November 5, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Z68 = all features of P67 + intel SRT and the ability to use the onboard GPU.
The 2700K is exactly the same as the 2600K but with 100mhz higher base clock, chances are they will clock exact the same while overclocking.

Too sum it up, get a Z68 motherboard if you want to overclock, use intel SRT & want onboard video. If you only want to overclock, then P67 will work. Get the 2600K unless they are the same price.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:55 PM
MVP

Z68, as said above, allows the GPU onboard the cpu to be run, but it's optional - you can still run an outboard vid card and disable or not use the onboard GPU. And you can still overclock your vid card using whatever utility works best for you. Onboard caching, meh as far as I'm concerned, unless you have an old SSD ~40GB lying around not being used. Doesn't run as fast as a straight up SSD with your o/s on it.

Nothing wrong with 67 or 68 for your intended uses.

2700K, I'm reading some reports that they're NOT overclocking as well as 2500K & 2600K. IF your primary use is gaming, save the dough and go 2500K, it runs games great and has less heat than the 2600K with more cores - I'm seeing about 13-15C difference, the 2600K being hotter. If you us applications that use multiple threads thought, go 2600K.

There is a new socket being released on, last I heard, Nov. 14. It's the same cpu architecture as the 25/26/2700 series, it's the chipset that's different and the socket. Socket 2011, and X79 motherboards. Has 4 channel RAM and increased system bandwidth. Expensive cpu's ($300 for a locked/slower, $600 & $999 for the higher end unlocked cpus) and motherboards. Won't be much faster for gaming, where best bang-for-buck is still a better video card.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 6, 2011, 05:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Z68 = all features of P67 + intel SRT and the ability to use the onboard GPU.
The 2700K is exactly the same as the 2600K but with 100mhz higher base clock, chances are they will clock exact the same while overclocking.

Too sum it up, get a Z68 motherboard if you want to overclock, use intel SRT & want onboard video. If you only want to overclock, then P67 will work. Get the 2600K unless they are the same price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keto View Post
Z68, as said above, allows the GPU onboard the cpu to be run, but it's optional - you can still run an outboard vid card and disable or not use the onboard GPU. And you can still overclock your vid card using whatever utility works best for you. Onboard caching, meh as far as I'm concerned, unless you have an old SSD ~40GB lying around not being used. Doesn't run as fast as a straight up SSD with your o/s on it.

Nothing wrong with 67 or 68 for your intended uses.

2700K, I'm reading some reports that they're NOT overclocking as well as 2500K & 2600K. IF your primary use is gaming, save the dough and go 2500K, it runs games great and has less heat than the 2600K with more cores - I'm seeing about 13-15C difference, the 2600K being hotter. If you us applications that use multiple threads thought, go 2600K.

There is a new socket being released on, last I heard, Nov. 14. It's the same cpu architecture as the 25/26/2700 series, it's the chipset that's different and the socket. Socket 2011, and X79 motherboards. Has 4 channel RAM and increased system bandwidth. Expensive cpu's ($300 for a locked/slower, $600 & $999 for the higher end unlocked cpus) and motherboards. Won't be much faster for gaming, where best bang-for-buck is still a better video card.
Corsair 650 w TX
Corsair Obsidian 600t - Case

Im thinking about getting me a new PSU,CPU, Motherboard and some new memorys.

So I've decided to have
Corsair Vengeance 8gb - 1600 mhz - 2x4gb
Corsair AX 850 W - full modular
The SDD ive chosen is - Samsung 830 series - 128 gb-
The Cpu on the other hand cost 320 Usd...for the 2700k and 50 USD less for the 2600k..
And the i5 2500k cost 200 USD..so I've decided to get the i5 2500k since every forums I've been in recommended that for gaming, the money I get over, is for a future CF
I wont OC as soon as I get the items :) but will in the future:P
And I wont use the Gpu in the motherboard, so the p67 is enough?

One Question left, Whats the difference between the Deluxe rev b3 and the Pro?

Last edited by Hagge; November 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old November 6, 2011, 10:30 AM
MVP

P67 is enough yes, definitely.

You want a B3 revision, find out for sure from the seller before you buy. B2 had a bad bug in the chipset. Both Pro & Deluxe (all, really) ASUS mobos are labelled right on the box as to whether they are B3 - I think it would actually be unusual to find a B2 on the shelf these days. Some may say 'Gen3', they are the very latest revisions that support PCIe 3.0 with future generations of cpu's, these are just hitting store shelves now. It's not a critical feature now, as PCIe 2.0 is more than enough to support the bandwidth of current parts.

Near as I can tell at a glance, the Deluxe has dual LAN ports while the Pro just has 1. Deluxe has more power phases, but the Pro is plenty robust for anything - I'm very happy with mine, the voltage regulation and stability is excellent (compared to my Gigabyte Z68 UD3H, where voltage jumped around a lot more).
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 6, 2011, 11:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
P67 is enough yes, definitely.

You want a B3 revision, find out for sure from the seller before you buy. B2 had a bad bug in the chipset. Both Pro & Deluxe (all, really) ASUS mobos are labelled right on the box as to whether they are B3 - I think it would actually be unusual to find a B2 on the shelf these days. Some may say 'Gen3', they are the very latest revisions that support PCIe 3.0 with future generations of cpu's, these are just hitting store shelves now. It's not a critical feature now, as PCIe 2.0 is more than enough to support the bandwidth of current parts.

Near as I can tell at a glance, the Deluxe has dual LAN ports while the Pro just has 1. Deluxe has more power phases, but the Pro is plenty robust for anything - I'm very happy with mine, the voltage regulation and stability is excellent (compared to my Gigabyte Z68 UD3H, where voltage jumped around a lot more).
Nice, Then as I said before, I will go for a i5 2500k, as you recommended before, a Asus p8p67 deluxe rev b3 and a Corsair Ax 850w,

And put it with my 6970:) The Ax 850 will be enough for a CF with 6970s ? and a overclocked Cpu? to lets say 4 ghz? I really dont know how much you can oc 2500k :P but still:)

Edit: One thing I noticed was that the 6970 is 16 pin Gpu card, and all those Motherboards I linked are have 1 16 pin and dual 8 pin ? So when I run CF, will my Gpus run at 8 pin, menas, will they be less good?
Old November 6, 2011, 12:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well if you have a need for 2600K it is well worth it. However I would go with an aftermarket cooler, you do not need a big fancy one though, something like a Hyper 212+ with dual fans or Hyper 212 EVO will work fine and are quite low cost.

There are plenty of very good Z68 boards that offer slightly better features then P67 boards, however there are literraly tons of very awesome P67 boards. The GPU overclocking refers to the onboard, not the add in or discrete card

For memory Kingston Hyper X or G.Skill Ripjaw X is what I would go with, they tend to have shorter heatspreaders that are functional, they look cool, and not to mention, the spreaders on the Vengeance I have heard many times they like to fall off and are made of plastic(I have heard, I do not own)

I have a set of Ripjaw X designed for P67 z68 on my AMD setup, they run very well and 1.5v is decent, if you want better G.Skill also makes thier ECO set which is decently overclocking freindly and runs at 1.35v.

Just an FYI, Sandy E, will be faster, however it is going to be pricey on the cpu-motherboard-memory side of things, so for most of us a 2500k or 2600k will just be more cost effective. 2500k can do everything just fine, however like pointed out 2600k is desgined for workloads where HT really shines.

A quality 850 will work fine for 2x 6970, that is if you have enough connectors :P a b3 revision motherboard is one you want such as Sabertooth or P8P67 pro or similar, as for overclocking, if you have memory that supports XMP, you just set it to use XMP and it will overclock for you :P, most 2500-2600K will do around 4.5Ghz with a decent aircooler. Do make sure LLC is enabled in bios though, this helps to make sure CPU is not starved for its voltage once load is hit, known as Vdroop, voltage droops under load, and generally can turn a stable overclock into one, well not so stable :P

Edit-not sure what you mean by pin in last statment, I am sure you are refering to the lanes such as pci-e 16x and 8x? If yes, 2 gpu one running at 16x and other at 8x will effect it, though not by much to be honest, for 2 cards such as GTX590 or 6990 running in Quad sli or Crossfire X, then yes this would have an impact, but, you should be fine if one runs at 16x and other at 8x, better to get a board that has both at 16x, but that may not be possible unless you find a $ motherboard, possibly one from the Z68 series, such as ASUS P8Z68-V or V PRO.

If I recall correctly, the Z68 boards tend to have better performance of thier sata6 and usb3 connectors as well.

Last edited by Dragonstongue; November 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old November 6, 2011, 12:14 PM
MVP

It's not pins, I think you mean PCIe, like 16X + 16X (very few mobos will do that, you need to move up to the WS Revolution or Maximux IV ASUS motherboards to do 16X + 16X), it's the size of the PCIe lanes. The board you are looking at will run 1x 16X OR 8X + 8X in crossfire. Apparently, current video cards can't fully utilize or aren't fully optimized for 16X + 16X, there's only a 2% or 3% difference from 8X + 8X to 16X + 16X. Don't know what the state of the next generation of video cards is, whether they will be optimized for 2@16X or not.

850AX is enough power supply to run what you want, it's just about the perfect size - bigger will do it but be overkill, less will be too close to the margin (probably run with a 650-750 but not very efficiently and much closer to the max margin for error).
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 6, 2011, 12:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonstongue View Post
......... as for overclocking, if you have memory that supports XMP, you just set it to use XMP and it will overclock for you :P, most 2500-2600K will do around 4.5Ghz with a decent aircooler. Do make sure LLC is enabled in bios though, this helps to make sure CPU is not starved for its voltage once load is hit, known as Vdroop, voltage droops under load, and generally can turn a stable overclock into one, well not so stable :P
I did this on my ASUS board - set XMP and left everything else alone including LLC, it booted up at 4.4 under load and benchmark tested just fine. I can't prove it but suspect LLC was manipulated by the system while left on auto, set high enough to provide the needed load voltage. Enabling it means you also have to figure out what level your system needs, I think a needless complication for a nice automatic overclock. This level of overclock (4.4) is probably the max or maybe even slightly over the max I would use with the stock Intel cooler.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 6, 2011, 12:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
I did this on my ASUS board - set XMP and left everything else alone including LLC, it booted up at 4.4 under load and benchmark tested just fine. I can't prove it but suspect LLC was manipulated by the system while left on auto, set high enough to provide the needed load voltage. Enabling it means you also have to figure out what level your system needs, I think a needless complication for a nice automatic overclock. This level of overclock (4.4) is probably the max or maybe even slightly over the max I would use with the stock Intel cooler.
Im sure the stock cooler works fine, I wouldnt do that with mine, but they are 32nm and apprently run decently cool, and can handle alot of heat, they just do not like running really high voltages to thier IMC or thier I forget what it is called but is related to cpu directly :P

It could be the XMP or how the board was built/qualified by Intel for use, had though of LLC and such, however it is nice to not be running higher then needed volts, as according to manufacturers Intel/AMD and such, any overclocking is use at own risk, so it would be beneficial to know the voltages/heat so as not to surpass them for nothing, XMP does work well though, works on my AMD setup as well, just nowhere near as high as I can pull it myself, and overall, voltages I have seen over the years AUTO tends to have volts 1-3 steps higher or lower then it should be.