Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2011, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Cool n quiet throttling CPU frequency

I just realized tonight that my reduced fps during SC2 in large battles (4v4) seems to be happening because of CnQ keeping CPU freq down. I did a quick run with it off (power management set to home vice min power management) and did not see the all too familiar fps drop as armies grow. Does anyone know a program that records cpu freq that will work with an amd CPU (I know CnQ displays it, but can't see what it was while gaming)? More importantly, what about a way to force CnQ to max CPU multiplier while the game is running? Trying to find a permanent fix to this bug that doesn't involve me turning it on and off everytime I play.

CPU temp/PSU are not a factor (this time of year my x3 710 rarely hits 40 deg on stock cooler). MOB is running latest bios and have had this happen before and after the update. Windows XP and the rest of the system is in the drop down.

Last edited by Bond007; November 6, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old November 6, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Anyone?
Old November 6, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Crappy 'n' Quick (aka Cool and Quiet) has never been the most stable of drivers for all mobos. On some its just a big old hassle. Easiest way....set your power plan to "performance" when gaming and change it back to its normal default afterwards....as there is no way to force it to turn itself off / run at max all the time. Sorry...would love to be wrong on this and would love to know how to do it myself, but I doubt it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 6, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Crappy 'n' Quick (aka Cool and Quiet) has never been the most stable of drivers for all mobos. On some its just a big old hassle. Easiest way....set your power plan to "performance" when gaming and change it back to its normal default afterwards....as there is no way to force it to turn itself off / run at max all the time. Sorry...would love to be wrong on this and would love to know how to do it myself, but I doubt it.
That is what I thought, but didn't want to hear. Anyone else have some insight for me to try?
Old November 6, 2011, 06:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've always saved myself the hassle and disabled it since it has never worked right for me once.

Thats the only advice I can give mate sorry,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 6, 2011, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't quite understand your statement.

But is your maximum processor state set to 100%?

Old November 6, 2011, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I've always saved myself the hassle and disabled it since it has never worked right for me once.

Thats the only advice I can give mate sorry,

ST
Ha reminds me of that 790gx board that since the clock was tied to the power voltage or cpu frequency (never did figure out witch) the clock would constantly run slow when CnQ was enabled.
Frustrating to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 7, 2011, 05:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvgearx View Post
I don't quite understand your statement.

But is your maximum processor state set to 100%?
Yes. It will go to max frequency, however, while playing SCII it does not go to that max state and the game lags horribly because of it. In other programs there is no problem and it goes to max freq on its own.