Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2011, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Intel Motherboard curiosity

Just a question for anyone with experience. How are Intel branded MOB? Never used them, recommended them or heard much about them. Comparable to Asus/ Gigabyte, or a lesser quality?
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 29, 2011, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Exactly like their business model.

A lot less features and usually lesser overclocking, but because they build them so conservatively they're usually incredibly stable and reliable with only very minor bugs if there ever are any.
Old October 29, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I own an Intel DP67DE board, and what I notice is less features (e.g. # of USB ports, overclocking) than the Gigabyte and ASUS boards I had in the same price bracket. In addition, the board's BIOS seems to have gone through the same growing pains as its Cougar Point chipset - it took 3 revisions before I could dial in any sort of overclocking.
What it does have works reasonably well - the BIOS loads up faster than any other board I've used, fan profiles for the CPU and two case fans are customizable, and I note that it's a bit more power efficient than the Gigabyte P67 UD3P board I used to have.

Note however that I am comparing across generations (my Intel is a P67, the low-end ASUS I had was an AMD 600 series chipset, and the low-end GB was an AMD 770 series).

As for the all-important "Would I buy again?" - yes but not for my main gaming rig
With the exception of the "enthusiast" boards with the skull silkscreened on to the PCB, overclocking is an "extra" for Intel boards, so don't expect it to work.
Old October 29, 2011, 01:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have had great sucess with Intel Branded boards (Skull trail anyone?).
They do lack a lot of the custom overclocking features that we like but if you want boot up and rock stable for years and years you can't go wrong.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 29, 2011, 02:09 PM
Allstar

I'm currently using the 975XBX2 as my gigabyte crapped out on me. Definitely glad I bought it and am seriously considering purchasing another one when I upgrade next. Haven't had the best of luck with Gigabyte or Asus over the years and while it's always nice to have the few extra features that they bring, in the long run it's not really worth it to me. Also, when it comes to overclocking...I don't mind if I lose out on a 100mhz - 300mhz as it's not going to make any appreciable difference . Plus, how can you go wrong with a skull on your motherboard :)

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 29, 2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Intel branded boards = Foxconn OEM boards .... nuff said.

They've always been made for intel by foxconn & in most instances the 3rd party boards by other manyfactorers ususaly have better preformance vs the intel branded boards.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Intel branded boards = Foxconn OEM boards .... nuff said.

They've always been made for intel by foxconn & in most instances the 3rd party boards by other manyfactorers ususaly have better preformance vs the intel branded boards.

Is that for sure? Can't say I would go for a foxconn board, but I also can't say that I have tried.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 30, 2011, 11:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Is that for sure? Can't say I would go for a foxconn board, but I also can't say that I have tried.
I believe most of them are. But Foxconn also makes most of Dell's boards too. They are highly stable and very long lived.
I still have Eva Cove boards running full tilt from day 1.

Nothing wrong with them as far as I'm concerned. They only lack enthusiast features thats all.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 30, 2011, 03:34 PM
Allstar

I have had 5 in recent memory a socket 478 board which I took out of service ... actually two, one has a gateway bios. 2 mini-itx boards, one for my home server Intel's first mini-itx offering the D201GLY2. It's been running 24/7 for years.

I needed a mobo for a socket 775 cpu and recently purchased a DG43GT and made my 2nd HTPC with it

No issues will all of the above ...
Old October 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It's not just a matter of who builds it, but to what specifications.

Often the same manufacturer will build car parts for multiple car companies -- say gas pedals for Toyota and GM. Normally, Toyota specifications mean that the ones built for Toyota are a better design. The sticky gas pedal situation was one where Toyota dropped their specifications for North American cars and used a weaker design, with a predictable loss in reliability. Intel issues high specifications, and it costs to meet them; add in the premium people are willing to pay for reliability and you end up with similar boards which are more expensive or equal-price boards with fewer features.