Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2011, 09:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default SSD Concern over a new build

Hello Guys and Linus,

I have posted a thread here before asking about which graphic card to take, and you guys gave me some really nice suggestions, so I have now almost completely remade my build.
However now that I am planning to buy some SSDs next week, I need some more of your oppinions.
So here is my updated build (the ones I have gotten so far)

Motherboard :Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
CPU :core i7 2600k
RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2300Mhz 9-11-9-28-2N (4gbx2) (getting another one later)
Graphics card : EVGA GTX 580 classified Hydro Copper

I am planning to buy 2x 120gb OCZ Vertex 3, and put them on raid 0,but after doing some research I found out that a lot of peoples are having problems with freezing, stutters, BSOD with the Vertex 3(and some other SSD too).

So In your opinion, should I just go for the Vertex 3s and see if I have any problem with that?
Or do any of u have any suggestions on which SSD to take other than the vertex 3?

As always thanks for your time here guys Cheers
Old October 22, 2011, 12:50 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would strongly recommend against going with a RAID setup with any SF2281 based drive. When you use RAID you lose TRIM support and without TRIM SF2281s can get "slow" over time.
Honestly, buy the biggest SINGLE ssd you can afford. RAID'ing really only start to impress when you hit 3 or 4 of them.

For first time users I recommend the Crucial M4 line. A Crucial M4 256 will set you back about 420. Two Vertex 3 120s will set you back about 450 - 475. One Vertex 3 240 will set you back about 500. In other words its cheaper...YET very very potent and where the M4s dont rely on SF2281 (they use Marvel) at a later date you could pick up a second and RAID them (they have GREAT abilities at keeping themselves fast when TRIM is not possible). The M4s also dont have any of the issues the SF2281 drives (e.g. vertex 3, vertex 3 maxiops, agility 3, force 3, force gt, pyro, wildfire, chronos, chronos deluxe....and others) have. They are very good "safe" bet.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 23, 2011, 01:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi Akg, Thanks for your input, after reading what u wrote, I just researched for TRIM, and I understand now.. but the problem is non of my local stores have any SSD from crucial.
What do you think about getting 1 Vertex 3 240 and run it with TRIM ?
Also there is a Vertex 3 Max IOPS Edition.. would that be good?
Thank you for helping me out! XD
Old November 1, 2011, 10:57 PM
Rookie

Crusial M4 has a very very nice price to performance ratio, as shown by Tom's Hardware quite a while back.
However, reading through your "build", money doesn't seem to be an issue.
So, I can tell you that Intel SSDs have the highest reliability in the market (at the moment).
In the other hand, OCZ does provide quite a bit of support in their forum, they release simple and trouble free tools to update the firmware which, fixes the "problems".
Therefore, it is totally your choice to choose, Intel for very high reliability but it does take quite a bit longer to fix problems if they do come by or OCZ for fixing issues when it does happen.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

OCZ gets its firmware from Sandforce, as do all other drive retailers who use the Sandforce controller. In terms of quickly fixing problems, first you have to identify them. Intel does a lot more testing -- thus the higher prices -- and rolls out fixes fairly quickly. Sandforce released the SF-2200 series of controllers in January, and released the firmware which might fix most of the crashes/BSOD/disappearing drives less than two weeks ago.

Intel uses the same Marvell controller in its 510 as does Crucial in its M4 (Micron, Crucial's parent company, sells the M4 badged as the C400), but uses its own firmware and NAND. These two Marvell-based drives thus behave somewhat differently, but there are tradeoffs rather than one being superior to another. The exception to that is Micron/Crucial's price advantage.
Old November 2, 2011, 03:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey guys, yeah finally I bought OCZ Vertex 3 240gb max iops already... I have updated the firmware to the latest, and I have never had a problem ever since I first installed the O.S. on it... thanks for the input guys!! XD