Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2011, 05:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Silk, you should buy two more displays identical to the one you have now! At least you can keep using those for a while longer.
I've been trying to tell him that, but those monitors are big bucks. I suggested that he should at least consider selling the 30" and get some 24's. He doesn't know what he missing. This weekend when I transplant all his hardware from the Alienware case to the Tt Level 10 GT LCS, he'll FINALLY be able to check out my eyefinity setup. It may be a moment of spiritual consummation for him.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
I've been trying to tell him that, but those monitors are big bucks. I suggested that he should at least consider selling the 30" and get some 24's. He doesn't know what he missing. This weekend when I transplant all his hardware from the Alienware case to the Tt Level 10 GT LCS, he'll FINALLY be able to check out my eyefinity setup. It may be a moment of spiritual consummation for him.

I'll be honest, I was probably like Slik a long while ago too. With One big Monitor.

Then I saw my friends Muli, and yeah that just about sealed the deal for me as well. Hopefully he will listen. Two 580's should drive 3 good 24's no problem.
Preach it to him Killswitch!!

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 20, 2011, 06:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I'll be honest, I was probably like Slik a long while ago too. With One big Monitor.

Then I saw my friends Muli, and yeah that just about sealed the deal for me as well. Hopefully he will listen. Two 580's should drive 3 good 24's no problem.
Preach it to him Killswitch!!

-ST
Oh I will! But I think a steering wheel with force feedback and a good round of either Dirt2, Dirt3, Need for Speed Shift, BF BC2, Deus Ex, or what ever other game I have should be convincing enough. Even web browsing while doing other things (multi-tasking) it's a life saver.

But that's when he will realize that with the hardware I'm running, the monitors it's pushing, and more importantly the EXPERIENCE it's providing, he doesn't need to upgrade his hardware.... it's his peripherals.

His machine is damn near top of the line other then the absence of SATA3, USB3, and an SSD. All in all none of those things is going to add much to his gaming equation and cost him lots of cake to get there. He's going with a far better case for cooling. Next step is a mega screen.

Last edited by Killswitch; October 20, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Oh I will! But I think a steering wheel with force feedback and a good round of either Dirt2, Dirt3, Need for Speed Shift, BF BC2, Deus Ex, or what ever other game I have should be convincing enough. Even web browsing while doing other things (multi-tasking) it's a life saver.

But that's when he will realize that with the hardware I'm running, the monitors it's pushing, and more importantly the EXPERIENCE it's providing, he doesn't need to upgrade his hardware.... it's his peripherals.

His machine is damn near top of the line other then the absence of SATA3, USB3, and an SSD. All in all none of those things is going to add much to his gaming equation and cost him lots of cake to get there. He's going with a far better case for cooling. Next step is a mega screen.
Yeah that helped a lot.
I run WoT on it, Eve and WoW.
Its awesome for MMORPG's.
For even the net its nice for wokring from home.

Good to hear that he is moving to something of better cooling. I hear good things about the Level10GT. Pics when its done, I would like to see the end result.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old October 20, 2011, 06:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I plan on taking lots of pics before, during, and after the build. We'll definitely try to post a build log of some sort. Out of all this I'm REALLY liking the fact that he's brave enough now to break away from the "pre-built PC" mold of Dell and start to build a custom rig. One step at a time.
Old October 20, 2011, 07:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I plan on taking lots of pics before, during, and after the build. We'll definitely try to post a build log of some sort. Out of all this I'm REALLY liking the fact that he's brave enough now to break away from the "pre-built PC" mold of Dell and start to build a custom rig. One step at a time.
Took 5 years with my wife to break that mold.
Now she has an AMD 810 with a 4890 (thanks JD).

One step at a time for sure. I remember his first log on here getting his Alienware. There is nothing wrong owning one, but its just so much more flexability building your own.

-ST

Old October 21, 2011, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am leaning toward getting a three monitor set up,and after checking out Killswitch's trio,I will more than likely do just that. I have been looking at monitors,and found a 28 inch Hannspree at Tiger direct Canada. Only $290.00. Three of those would be less than I paid for my Dell 3008. The Hannspree is 1920x1200 resolution. Hard to find one that's not 1080. Yes,the members here, and of course Killswitch,have put me in an upgrade mode that does not include Dell for anything. First time in about twelve years. Thanks guys. I have seen the light!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 21, 2011, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Took 5 years with my wife to break that mold.
Now she has an AMD 810 with a 4890 (thanks JD).

One step at a time for sure. I remember his first log on here getting his Alienware. There is nothing wrong owning one, but its just so much more flexability building your own.

-ST
The only issue I have with Alienware,is the case design of air flow. Make no mistake,the Area 51 case is awesome! I just wanted a better designed case for cooling,and the Level 10 GT fits the bill in every way. I just want to be fair to Alienware, and the members here that own one.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 21, 2011, 07:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I am leaning toward getting a three monitor set up,and after checking out Killswitch's trio,I will more than likely do just that. I have been looking at monitors,and found a 28 inch Hannspree at Tiger direct Canada. Only $290.00. Three of those would be less than I paid for my Dell 3008. The Hannspree is 1920x1200 resolution. Hard to find one that's not 1080. Yes,the members here, and of course Killswitch,have put me in an upgrade mode that does not include Dell for anything. First time in about twelve years. Thanks guys. I have seen the light!
Don't by Hannspree monitors. I don't know much about them but they're not a popular brand by any means, and $290 seems too cheap for a 28". Wait for a good name brand to come on sale.
Old October 21, 2011, 08:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post

God dont' get those lol.

Now we have to teach you the ways of good panels. Although I have different requirements than some on what I can see on a panel, I am sure Killswitch can help you there.

If you want to make some extra coin I am sure you could sell your Alienware case too. I know a lot of poeple like collecting those cases ( I got one myself :P).

Dell actually has some nice 24's on sale still I believe. Might be worth a look.

ST