Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2011, 09:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
What is NF200 and what does it do? Do I really need that? $700 is pushing it,but If that's what I need,then that's what I'll get. Thanks again.
NF200 is a Nvidia chip to provide more Lanes when multiple GPU's are installed on a system.
You need it for applications that start going beyond 2-3 gpus' depending on the chipset.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 20, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
And its XL-ATX so not always going to be supported by Cases.

Espically considering Slik has an Alien ware Case, that may or may not support its size.

Good Find though Eldonko, I had forgotten about the NF200 on the UD9. I knew the older classy's (E759) could do it.

ST
I just odered a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case. My friend Killswitch and I are doing a bit of building and upgrades etc. The Level 10 info page says it will take over sized MBs and Video cards etc. It is a pretty big case with lots of cooling. Including liquid CPU cooling.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 20, 2011, 09:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I just odered a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case. My friend Killswitch and I are doing a bit of building and upgrades etc. The Level 10 info page says it will take over sized MBs and Video cards etc. It is a pretty big case with lots of cooling. Including liquid CPU cooling.
Fair enough, then you don't need to worry so long as it support it. Still in all honesty I would not worry about 16/16/16/16.

Get a EVGA Classified board and be done with it. They are some of the best X58 boards out there. I really don't see much to be gained by spending $200 more on something that really will give you only 5% more tangiable benifits.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 20, 2011, 10:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

NF200 is a chip made by nvidia that allows for extra pcie lanes. Since x58 does not have 64 lanes natively you need nf200 for 16/16/16/16. That is what you asked for so that is what I recommended but personally I would never buy that board in a million years. Although nf200 allows for 16/16/16/16 it increases latency of data access through the PCIE bus so in the end if you compared UD9 tri-SLI with a non-nf200 board the results would be very similar.
Old October 20, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks everybody. I think I will leave well enough alone for now. I knew you guys would come through and give me the right advice. There is not enough for me to gain by changing what I have now. At least for the time being. I appreciate the advice as I might have gone ahead with this,and all I would end up doing is to spend money needlessly. I've done that before, so now I check everything first.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 20, 2011, 11:34 AM

Yah I wouldnt really spend more money on x58 at this point. If you are wanting to upgrade I would consider selling your chip and going to x79 when it drops.
Old October 20, 2011, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Yah I wouldnt really spend more money on x58 at this point. If you are wanting to upgrade I would consider selling your chip and going to x79 when it drops.
That too is good advice. How much do you think my 980x is worth?
Old October 20, 2011, 03:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
That too is good advice. How much do you think my 980x is worth?
What CPU is gonna beat a 980X OC'd to 4ghz? My guess is..... nothing.

As for a new mobo all you'll gain is SATA3 and USB3. Big whoop.

Unless you go for 3D and/or a triple monitor setup there's no need for 3 x GTX580's.

If you have the upgrade bug, buy a new desk or something.
Old October 20, 2011, 03:50 PM

Probably still get 600-700 for a 980x these days. It is a nice chip
Old October 20, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Silk, you should buy two more displays identical to the one you have now! At least you can keep using those for a while longer.