Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2011, 08:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Zerotherm

Need info on Asus ZEROtherm.....what exactly are the benefits of this? Cpu cooler only? Reason I ask is friends pc was 'crashing' (....?), someone with some 'know how' opened up the tower and removed this Asus Zerotherm (old pc) and now it works fine....just much slower according the owner.

OS xp home
HDD 160gb
2.20 ghz
1.46 gb ram
CPU AMD Athlon 64 PRocessor
3200+

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old October 19, 2011, 09:45 PM
Allstar

Slower doing what exactly? The cooling unit got nothing to do with CPU as far as I can tell, it's just a GPU cooler. From the amount of dust on it, it may be over heating and causing the computer to lock up. Can you confirm the cooling fan was actually spanning or is it seized?
Old October 19, 2011, 10:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Tha is an old ASUS Graphics/Video Card with an AGP (instead of PCI-E) interface. So I would imagine that your friend's computer would be slower since the machine now relies on a poor on-board video instead of a dedicated graphics card, which was removed.

Clean the card (and the rest of your friend's computer) with some compressed air, reseat/re-install the video card back in and see if the vid card's cooling (ZEROtherm) fan is spining, hence cooling the hardware. With that amount of dust I suspect that he probably has a pound of dust caked inside his CPU cooler as well.

Last edited by EmptyMellon; October 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: friend's
Old October 19, 2011, 11:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
Tha is an old ASUS Graphics/Video Card with an AGP (instead of PCI-E) interface. So I would imagine that your friend's computer would be slower since the machine now relies on a poor on-board video instead of a dedicated graphics card, which was removed.

Clean the card (and the rest of your friend's computer) with some compressed air, reseat/re-install the video card back in and see if the vid card's cooling (ZEROtherm) fan is spining, hence cooling the hardware. With that amount of dust I suspect that he probably has a pound of dust caked inside his CPU cooler as well.
This makes sense, with the VGA/DVI inputs I was thinking graphics card--most defiantly makes sense with the slow down now.

Thanks for your prompt reply
Old October 20, 2011, 06:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
This makes sense, with the VGA/DVI inputs I was thinking graphics card--most defiantly makes sense with the slow down now.

Thanks for your prompt reply
Let us know how things work out for you, even if it was as simple as the dust clogged GPU and CPU heatsinks/fans.
Old October 21, 2011, 01:55 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
Let us know how things work out for you, even if it was as simple as the dust clogged GPU and CPU heatsinks/fans.
Fan on card is dead-- going to pick up a replacement. Suggestions? under $100
Old October 21, 2011, 05:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
Fan on card is dead-- going to pick up a replacement. Suggestions? under $100

NCIX.com - Buy EVGA GeForce GTS 450 783MHZ 1GB 3.6GHZ DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Video Card - Others - 01G-P3-1351-KR - in Canada

I would go with that. Given that you powered the old card you should be able to power this one.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 21, 2011, 08:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Considering it's an AGP card on an extremely old PC, my suggestion would be to check out kijiji in your local area. I personally wouldn't put any more than $40 into reviving that machine.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 21, 2011, 08:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Considering it's an AGP card on an extremely old PC, my suggestion would be to check out kijiji in your local area. I personally wouldn't put any more than $40 into reviving that machine.
I just realized that now, and I read the full post too.

Yeah its AGP, I wouldn't invest another cent into it to be honest.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 21, 2011, 10:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I agree, but it's not my call lol-

I'm not hardware savy so I'm just looking for some guidelines to restore the performance the PC had before the asus died.