Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2011, 10:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
I agree, but it's not my call lol-

I'm not hardware savy so I'm just looking for some guidelines to restore the performance the PC had before the asus died.

Something like this then,

NCIX.com - Buy PNY GeForce 6200 512MB DDR2 AGP VGA DVI HDTV Out Video Card - PNY Technologies Inc - VCG62512SAPB - in Canada

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 21, 2011, 12:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Great, thanks for the input guys!

PS-clued in this thread should have been posted in Video Cards lol.
Old October 21, 2011, 12:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
Great, thanks for the input guys!

PS-clued in this thread should have been posted in Video Cards lol.
No worries, we won't hold it against you.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 21, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you work with old computers a lot, I would keep a few of these on hand: High Performance DC Brushless Cooling Fan for PC Video Card - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
Old October 21, 2011, 02:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
If you work with old computers a lot, I would keep a few of these on hand: High Performance DC Brushless Cooling Fan for PC Video Card - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
*noted
Old October 21, 2011, 03:16 PM
Rookie

If he isn't still wanting to game then I'd go with

NCIX.com - Buy BFG GeForce 6200 375 MHZ 256MB DDR AGP DVI-I Video Card - BFG Technologies - BFGR62256OC - in Canada for 20$ cheaper.

If he is still wanting to game then he pretty much has no choice but to go with

NCIX.com - Buy Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 Video Card 1GB DDR2 AGP Dual DVI-I Retail Box - Others - 11156-06-20R - in Canada

It's just under your $100 price but is the only available agp gaming card left.
Old October 21, 2011, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Zerotherm is a company that makes aftermarket cooling. With that cooler the cards stays cool and quiet.

It is best you run some test first. Maybe the core is fried due to overheat, very unlikely tho since ati chips can take a lot of heat.

Test the card for error first. Even you said the fan is dead you can still test the card without it overheating. Since the card has no shroud, you can easily keep the card cool by using a house hold fan. Try to use the highest speed and keep the fan as close as possible.

If the core is still good you can try and buy one of these.

NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Low Noise VGA Cooler 92MM PWM Fan ATI 4850 4830 4770 NVIDIA 9800 9600 - Arctic Cooling - AcceleroL2Pro - in Canada

Is that a 3650/3850?
Old October 21, 2011, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Other than doesn't it look like the caps on the far right and the big cap on the far left look like they are bulging? It could just be the pic but the other caps in the pic don't have that look to them.
Old October 23, 2011, 04:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I went with the Nvidia Geoforce 6200. After removing some useless anti spyware programs, install an antivirus which removed 8+ Trojans & 30+ assorted virus/malware/adware, installed windows updates, defragged & cleaned the registry and removed non-essential programs from the System Startup process...the PC is running quite smooth and faster than I imagined it could lol.
Old October 23, 2011, 04:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvgearx View Post
Zerotherm is a company that makes aftermarket cooling. With that cooler the cards stays cool and quiet.

It is best you run some test first. Maybe the core is fried due to overheat, very unlikely tho since ati chips can take a lot of heat.

Test the card for error first. Even you said the fan is dead you can still test the card without it overheating. Since the card has no shroud, you can easily keep the card cool by using a house hold fan. Try to use the highest speed and keep the fan as close as possible.

If the core is still good you can try and buy one of these.

NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Low Noise VGA Cooler 92MM PWM Fan ATI 4850 4830 4770 NVIDIA 9800 9600 - Arctic Cooling - AcceleroL2Pro - in Canada

Is that a 3650/3850?
Good advice but I had already replaced & returned the PC