Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2011, 10:01 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 Processor Review Comment Thread

After many, many years of gossip, presentations, leaks, and showcases AMD's new Bulldozer processors are finally here. This is AMD's attempt at making an architecture with significant multi-threaded performance but at a price that most people can afford. With 8 cores on tap, we think they have the multi-threaded aspect covered, but the real question is whether they have managed to increase IPC enough to give these new processors a change at competing with Intel's all-powerful Sandy Bridge LGA1155 chips.

You can read the full review here: AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 Processor Review
Old October 11, 2011, 10:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Note: we are having some issues with a few charts. Give us a few mins. :)
Old October 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So it's true: BD is the DNF of processors

Really disappointed here, to be honest. Was hoping for a stellar showing from this new processor against Sandy Bridge. Looks like it didn't deliver at all in the area in which I hoped it would, which was gaming. Same thing could've been said when the 6950/6970 was launched, but at least that had driver updates to bank on. This, on the other hand...

So disappointed. So very, very disappointed...
Old October 11, 2011, 10:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am dissappoint. As you pointed out in the conclusion, this thing is barely better than Thuban.

That said, AMD probably wasn't expecting to win the Desktop market with Zambezi. Bulldozer seems to be tailor-made for Servers, and that's where the real money is.
Old October 11, 2011, 10:12 PM
MVP

Most everything's in the conclusion anyways. Nicely done, seems thorough and nothing missing that I would like to see, off the top of my head.

Makes me happy I went 2500K in the past couple of weeks, to be brutally honest. The pre-release leaks look to have been, for the most part, legit...given some of the sources, that was expected, at least by me.

AMD's gotta be hurting and in trouble. Their stock has been getting crushed - high for the year about $9.25 in May, mostly above $7 even through the tough Aug/Sept markets, and now on a steady slide for the past 3 weeks as the rumours have mounted, and below $5 ($4.86 close today).

These things are going to be in the bargain bins below $200 not long after Christmas, I'd guess. I haven't looked at the pipeline, what's next for AMD?
Gigabyte GTX780
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old October 11, 2011, 10:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Alas its sad to see the CPU side (Which I have supported) pull such bleak numbers.
Hopefully newer software and tech in the future will take care of some of these downfalls , but there really is nothing great to say about this.

Excellent review, as always.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 11, 2011, 10:17 PM
Top Prospect

AMD pulled a Phenom I all over again
Old October 11, 2011, 10:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Excellent Review.
What a disappointment, was actually hoping to do an upgrade.
But doesn't really seem like much of an upgrade now. Might have to start looking into buying a 2600k.
Old October 11, 2011, 10:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI3 View Post
AMD pulled a Phenom I all over again
This looks more like Pentium 4 to me.
Old October 11, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm disappointed I was going to build a rig for my GF with AMD but I guess not anymore, I'm gonna wait til piledriver comes out I guess. I can't see many people buying these chips unless a northbridge OC drastically boosts performance which I doubt.