Top Prospect

I hope that the NB helps a lot...

Something like this would make me be glad

One can hope...
Old October 12, 2011, 01:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Will there be an extended review on an OS/other software that actually uses the new instruction sets? I think it's pretty obvious that Bulldozer can't compete on an OS that can't utilize its only strengths, I'd like to see if it even has a chance against SB once the playing field is leveled.

I'm guessing using Windows 8 is out of the picture, so try some Linux?
Old October 12, 2011, 01:27 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Will there be an extended review on an OS/other software that actually uses the new instruction sets? I think it's pretty obvious that Bulldozer can't compete on an OS that can't utilize its only strengths, I'd like to see if it even has a chance against SB once the playing field is leveled.

I'm guessing using Windows 8 is out of the picture, so try some Linux?
I don't really the time to dabble in Linux, but I'm definitely thinking of giving Windows 8 a try. That would indeed be an interesting article.

If I can find some consumer apps that make use of the new instructions, I'll definitely give those a try as well.
Old October 12, 2011, 01:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the informative review Mac.

A bit disappointed to say the least, however given the price point AMD is aiming for...
Old October 12, 2011, 02:00 AM
Banned

Well I have done my 2-3 hours of skimming thru the 4-5 sites a read including this one for reviews. First off very good review MAC, but i think the thing that is lacking most vs the others i have read was the use of a high end card from either company.

Now onto some better awnsered questions/remarks on the FX 8 series itself based on my reading/observations:

Q: Should I buy this cpu exspecting great single/light thread preformance in games/apps?
A: No, but its improves slightly when oc'ed

Q: Should I buy this cpu exspecting great heavily utilzed thread preformance in games/apps?
A: Yes

Q: Should I buy this cpu with futureproofing in mind in reguard to thread/core scaling-utilization in software such as Window 8 & future DX11 titles?
A: Yes, if you can bare with the lack of single thread preformance vs current sandy bridge cpu's the chips design seems to be forward thinking in the way of threading & such.

Q: Should I buy this cpu exspecting great overclocks with it?
A: Yes if your fine with over 4 ghz clockrates on above average cooling solutions (air, sealed water & ect.)

Q: Should I buy this cpu + AM3+ motherboard over a current high end Phenom II X6 setup?
A: Currently most reviews show its as no real advantage nor disadvange to do so atm, but save the money & look to do so when the piledriver revisioned cpu's come out.

Q: I want to buy the 8150 cause of?
A:No need to push it past stock. Slightly improved die for pushing it further in overclocking & self contained water cooler in soon to come versions.

Q: I want to buy the 8120 insted cause of?
A: Still unlocked multiplier as 8150. Can overclock up into the same range as the 8150's for much cheaper cost (think how the current Phenom II X6 1055's are).

Final thoughts:

IF you can get past the not that impressive single thread app preformance/gaming, the cpu's seem to realy re-enforce there future preformance in multi thread/paralell aps as shown in a few reviews. Especialy in [H]'s gaming preformance attempting to utilize DX11 threaded games & current hard resourced ones like Metro 2033, you see the dozers ability to compete with intel solutions there. Also as a few have pointed out .... bios/driver updates could improve preformance things for it. Like one of the other posters & reviewers have said ... more time with the cpu/platform could reveal more hidden preformance somewhere in them.

Simply put as a few others have also said .... Is bulldozer a win .... no ... Is it a loser ... no ... it's currently somewhere inbetween unfortunately for now .... BUT the future could change that alot.
Old October 12, 2011, 02:10 AM
Banned

Another thing i'd like to see in a review by whomever is not just the ram speed scaling preformance, but also ram amounts. I know my move from 8 to 16 gigs + a speed bump up has been disapointing in some aspects but also pleasantly suprised in others.
Old October 12, 2011, 02:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

definatly not what we were all expecting. But I think AMD is headed in the right direction overall. They do have alot of catching up to do. And lets be honest, this is the first processor they built from the ground up since when? AMD Athlon 64's? We were all hoping for a hail mary, and all we got was a first down. But Keeps them in the game...

Cheers!
Old October 12, 2011, 02:25 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Such a FAIL.
Now Intel will feel free to charge ridiculous amounts of our $$ for their upcoming SB-E chips.

Last edited by GT7R; October 12, 2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old October 12, 2011, 02:57 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
If we also add a fully loaded GeForce GTX 460 1GB to the mix, that number spikes up to almost 800W. Obviously, no one runs a CPU and GPU stress tests at the same time, but this does illustrate what the worst case scenario could be when it comes to power consumption.
As far as concrete numbers go for folders, this alone is a big reason to stay away from Bulldozer. Folders will often run both the cpu and gpu at the same time at 100%. If Bulldozer came in the same as a 2600K in folding numbers, but more efficiently then i could have been happy. But I don't see that happening, even when official PPD numbers start to roll in.

The only hope I see for folders here is if the gromacs folks can optimize for the new SSE instructions. But those guys can take quite a while to get these optimizations done due to the needed reliability of submitted results. Maybe these Bulldozer chips will do well in the multi-processor boards.

Even then, with these power numbers....
Fold for team #54196
Old October 12, 2011, 03:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

After all, I'm glad I jumped on the 2500K back in April...I was planning to wait on BD and changed my mind...pfew!!!!!!

I miss my old Athlon 64 3400+ clawhammer days...but AMD can't do it anymore.....
As I'm a gamer, 2500K prevails here!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)