Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2011, 12:07 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
By the way, I updated that section to include the overclocked power consumption numbers, you will be...impressed.
800W for CPU+GPU load is nothing short of ridiculous.
Old October 12, 2011, 12:12 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Can't really afford anything better I'm afraid. I could buy a used i7-920 from the trading forum for similar performance but it would even burn more juice. The benchmark does make people wonder what AMD R&D is doing. Yes, engineering anything takes time, effort, and money but when the product barely beat out Intel and even your last generation product, it really hard to justify the price.
Funny, the only chart I saw that compared OVERCLOCKED <8150 vs 920>, the 920 was pulling less power.

You can afford better, it's a 2500K and cheaper than an 8150. Even has a built in onboard GPU that still can be used even if you have a separate vid card. Oh, and it uses less than half the power under load.

Not an Intel fanboi, just calling it like I see it.

IN FAIRNESS, there is lots of development still to come, to optimize Bulldozer. Chipset drivers, bioses, and so forth. And some are saying that FSB/Northbridge overclocking could be a key missing component in all the reviews.
Gigabyte GTX780
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old October 12, 2011, 12:20 AM
Associate Review Editor

Keep in mind that this is with 1.50V, which you are unlikely to use unless you have a terrific cooling system.

I'll see what 4.2GHz @ 1.40V is like a little later.
Old October 12, 2011, 12:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

suckage, lack of competition is lose-lose for everyone
intel may as well bump up pricing right now as it stands

im shocked at how lackluster the multithreaded performance is, not gonna even start with the rest, i was really hoping the new instruction sets would level the playing field
Old October 12, 2011, 12:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I wonder how much juice does BD sip at 8.4GHz during that world record run the other day? Care to test that out?
Old October 12, 2011, 12:43 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
I wonder how much juice does BD sip at 8.4GHz during that world record run the other day? Care to test that out?
Probably not that much to be honest.

The cooler a processor is the less power it consumes, so supposedly super-cooled processors are extremely energy efficient.

Someone else can surely elaborate on the physics behind it.
Old October 12, 2011, 01:05 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by keto View Post

IN FAIRNESS, there is lots of development still to come, to optimize Bulldozer. Chipset drivers, bioses, and so forth. And some are saying that FSB/Northbridge overclocking could be a key missing component in all the reviews.
How are they going to continue to develop bulldozer if they go bankrupt in six months?
Old October 12, 2011, 01:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Individual Core manipulation is possible

Quote:
Now you should take these results with a grain of salt. Unlike with Intel's chips, where it is easy to disable cores from within the BIOS, there is no such luxury on the AMD side. ....

Am I missing something? I was pretty sure that it was possible to do so in the latest version of ASUS UEFI. And if I have this ability in an ASUS M5A99X Evo, then Crosshair V should definetly have this ability. Pretty sure it is under the Advanced tab in the UEFI, same place where you have "Core Unlocker" and "Core Activation", please do correct me if I am wrong.
Old October 12, 2011, 01:52 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
[/I]
Am I missing something? I was pretty sure that it was possible to do so in the latest version of ASUS UEFI. And if I have this ability in an ASUS M5A99X Evo, then Crosshair V should definetly have this ability. Pretty sure it is under the Advanced tab in the UEFI, same place where you have "Core Unlocker" and "Core Activation", please do correct me if I am wrong.
Sorry, I worded that poorly, I mean't to say that it doesn't actually work on Bulldozer.
Old October 12, 2011, 01:53 AM
Rookie

Its a shame it went down like this, but I guess Intel wins again. Well I guess I'll be going Intel again, however I still have hope that the quad core BD chips might still be a nice bang for the buck. the reason I say that is because they will (hopefully) have enough overclocking headroom that they should be a decent bit better then the Phenom II X4's core for core and in the same price range. AMD said the FX-4100 (quad core) would retail for $115 USD at that price point it could still give some hell two Intel's I3's/ low end I5's.