Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
What are you using 16 cores for? Rendering pron?

Jk jk. You probably have a legit use for it.
FOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 14, 2011, 07:01 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
What are you using 16 cores for? Rendering pron?

Jk jk. You probably have a legit use for it.
This is folding 24/7 using 32 cores. And 4Door has 1 folding 24/7 with 48 cores.
Check our sigs...

edit: 'ed...

Old October 14, 2011, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
12 cores are for wussies. 16 cores iz ze real deal. I'm eyeing the 6272... if Floating Point performance is there.
Pre-order prices of AMD Opteron 3200, 4200 and 6200 processors
Ya, saw that. The preorder has been pulled off that site though.
Old October 14, 2011, 07:13 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

GrayTech Computer has the 6272 listed , at slightly higher prices of course.

No stock yet though...

Old October 14, 2011, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
GrayTech Computer has the 6272 listed , at slightly higher prices of course.

No stock yet though...

Old October 16, 2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

Just to touch back on this topic/debate further. According to a recent post on xbitlabs, a former amd/ati engeneer claims there is a valid reason why the bulldozer is coming off so badly right now. Apparently the design was not done by hand but assisted by software. According to him back in the day when he tried it out himself, everything he asked them to do came back 20% slower & larger then any of the hand refined designs he had on the same thing.

Given this new information .... IF that is the case then they definately f'ed up large then cause factoring those things into what we see currently would put the dozer righ there for shure with at least the 2600k class intel chips.
Old October 16, 2011, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Phew, that changes everything then. Bulldozer systems will definitely be faster now with that extra, speculative 20%.
Old October 16, 2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Phew, that changes everything then. Bulldozer systems will definitely be faster now with that extra, speculative 20%.
Did you not read my post properly .... I said the engineer said because they software built it back then when he was still working for them that its why its not preforming as suspected. AND like i was pointing out cause of the software design diffrence he saw vs hand refined design.

What would the current dozer be like with 20% less die/transistors & 20% more preformance .... ALOT more of what they projected for it .... to be equal to a 2600K intel cpu.
Old October 16, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Did you not read my post properly .... I said the engineer said because they software built it back then when he was still working for them that its why its not preforming as suspected. AND like i was pointing out cause of the software design diffrence he saw vs hand refined design.

What would the current dozer be like with 20% less die/transistors & 20% more preformance .... ALOT more of what they projected for it .... to be equal to a 2600K intel cpu.
I think his direct sarcasm went right over your head actually. He read your post just fine.

Speculation of 20% faster means jack. Why? Because the chip is real, and in retail channels, and it doesnt contain that 20%, so who cares.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 16, 2011, 05:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

More importantly...it means you can kiss any real tweaking at the silicon level good bye. They wont take the time to redesign (by hand) and re-spin it....they will simply put the man hours into the NEXT gen / bulldozer replacement.
Got to wonder if this was the real reason a certain head honcho left as they knew it was going to under-perform...but it was too late and had to push it out the door.

The upside is IF that is indeed the case, they may have learned their lesson and the next one in the lineup will NOT be a dud....hopefully.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr