Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh.... yeah, I'd call myself a long time supporter of both AMD & ATI.

First proc I ever fried was a 1G T-bird.... :) S754 semprons were my first real exposure to overclocking, and my name's still out there on the internets WRT DFI-Street's 3G club (S939 3700+ San Diego) if a person wants to search hard enough, but I was running AMDs almost from the very start.

On the ATI front.... I spent years convinced that ATI cards produced a vastly superior image quality, and fondly remember sneaking an AIW card into the house.... ;)
I'll openly admit to being so as well even thought I have owned 1 intel cpu & used 1 nvidia gpu/chipset in my pc lifetime.

But for me my stance is partialy fanboy, partialy consumer, partialy business ethics (ie. dell & other major pc manufactorers payback/bribe/exstortion to not sell amd pc's back in the early 2000's) + income level as why i have stuck with amd/ati over the years .... Hell i even sold a won Dell L1156 i7 860 pc to a friend to do more amd upgrade's which I know some folks would call me nuts for.

BUT again like i say over & over again, peaple can go be "sheep" to the intel camp all they like. I've still yet to have a amd box not to anything a intel box does nor allow me to play the lastest games at a acceptable framerate & high quality. And I know users on various forums including this one whom also agree that ultimately in the end there is realy not alot of diffrence between x amd box vs x intel box & alot of it falls into the e-penile factor to be "cool".

And sorry but im a "realists", not a "fanboy" as what likes to be slung around by peaple in general & since being involved with the internet & pc technoligy since 96' .... I for one as a consumer don't see why intel should profit since 2000 for there bad business ethics + the other reality of do we wanna go back to a era where the only major pc hardware was intel & for a 1/2 azz setup the board & cpu would cost you $1200. And don't try to use the argument things are made too cheap for intel to do so now ... through there "creative marketing" there are MANY users whom would even still buy a overpriced poor preforming celron cpu simply cause its a "intel".

Either way I look forward to hopefully SKY or anyone else from this site or the other major ones do more investigating into the cpu & platform to see if things are REALY all doom & gloom as folks are thinking they are so far.
Old October 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
I'll openly admit to being so as well even thought I have owned 1 intel cpu & used 1 nvidia gpu/chipset in my pc lifetime.

But for me my stance is partialy fanboy, partialy consumer, partialy business ethics (ie. dell & other major pc manufactorers payback/bribe/exstortion to not sell amd pc's back in the early 2000's) + income level as why i have stuck with amd/ati over the years .... Hell i even sold a won Dell L1156 i7 860 pc to a friend to do more amd upgrade's which I know some folks would call me nuts for.

BUT again like i say over & over again, peaple can go be "sheep" to the intel camp all they like. I've still yet to have a amd box not to anything a intel box does nor allow me to play the lastest games at a acceptable framerate & high quality. And I know users on various forums including this one whom also agree that ultimately in the end there is realy not alot of diffrence between x amd box vs x intel box & alot of it falls into the e-penile factor to be "cool".

And sorry but im a "realists", not a "fanboy" as what likes to be slung around by peaple in general & since being involved with the internet & pc technoligy since 96' .... I for one as a consumer don't see why intel should profit since 2000 for there bad business ethics + the other reality of do we wanna go back to a era where the only major pc hardware was intel & for a 1/2 azz setup the board & cpu would cost you $1200. And don't try to use the argument things are made too cheap for intel to do so now ... through there "creative marketing" there are MANY users whom would even still buy a overpriced poor preforming celron cpu simply cause its a "intel".

Either way I look forward to hopefully SKY or anyone else from this site or the other major ones do more investigating into the cpu & platform to see if things are REALY all doom & gloom as folks are thinking they are so far.
As just about any member here will tell you, I am have been a staunch AMD supporter for years but I will say this my 2600k absolutly eats my AMD systems, sure the AMD systems play 99% of my games and handle my encodes just fine but and here is the kicker the Intel is just way faster, plain and simple.

I agree we dont want rto go back to a one manufactures monopoly BUT I for one am not about to subsidize AMD until they get there shit together.

I dont see this as total DOOM AND GLOOM ( like that )but I just dont see a huge market for these new chips as they stand, for enthusiasts or budget users.

As I said earlier I would happily go back to AMD ( I am not a multiplier clocker I prefer to OC my system as a whole, and right now with Sandy that just isnt happening) but they need to get the power consumption/performance/budget ratio better before I move back. Maybe a revision stepping we will see that but right now I am going to keep the Dozer budget in the bank since I cant justify spending the money on a folder that consumes that much power.
You willnotice that I am banking that cash rather than grabbing another SB build, the PII will just have to hold out a little longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 14, 2011, 02:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
..... ( I am not a multiplier clocker I prefer to OC my system as a whole, and right now with Sandy that just isnt happening)
Just thought I'd mention, you might have a bit of misunderstanding here. You can overclock
-the bus speed (though no, it doesn't have a divider so that you can go in large increments)
-the cpu multiplier
-the memory (admittedly, very little real performance gain to be had here unless you are trying to eek out that last .1 sec or 2 fps for some sort of record run)

each independently of the other.

I've done more tweaking and optimizing on this system than on my old 939 system.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old October 14, 2011, 03:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I too have always supported AMD since the Socket A days. I became an overclocker with my first rig running an AthlonXP 2500+ and I just stuck with them ever since, moving to a s939 system, then AM2+. My next upgrade might be a jump from my current 940 X4 to an 1100T X6 and OC it as high as possible for 24/7 use but once that runs out gas within a year or so, which way to go?? It will be the end of the road with my platform and the future for "brand loyalty" doesn't look good. It's not a secret that AMD won't be able to fix bulldozer before Intel's 2011 socket. It would take a miracle I think. By then an Intel monopoly will be in full force and everyone will be screwed. Not just AMD fans. Price differences will be even worse, and you'll either be buying a kick-ass CPU or a total piece of crap.
Old October 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by keto View Post
Just thought I'd mention, you might have a bit of misunderstanding here. You can overclock
-the bus speed (though no, it doesn't have a divider so that you can go in large increments)
-the cpu multiplier
-the memory (admittedly, very little real performance gain to be had here unless you are trying to eek out that last .1 sec or 2 fps for some sort of record run)

I've done more tweaking and optimizing on this system than on my old 939 system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
as a whole.
Meaning not just set multiplier to X, and go, the whole system.
Old October 14, 2011, 03:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I was a big AMD guy until I started folding. My first AMD was a T-Bird 1400, the a 2000, a 2500, then a 3200 Black ed. My first video card was a Rage IIc, and other than a couple of exceptions, I had a 9800, x1600, AIW 8500 (iirc), AIW x1600, and a few others. I have friends that work at ATI (now AMD) in Markham that i would like to support better too.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 14, 2011, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keto View Post
-the cpu multiplier

Meh FBS on a 1155 104-105 is the max it seams for this p67, yes I realize you can oc the ram separate, but what I am meaning is on amd am2-3+ and 939 for that matter your talking in most instances, with a decient board, your going to be doing a FBS overclock. Sorry but unless I have missed something totally going to this Sandy this is pretty much completely opposite of Intel. AMD really doesnt need a unlocked cpu since again your going to fsb clocking, with sandy you need that multi since the fsb will crap out long before you get the cpu up to speed.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 14, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still await the release of BD on the G34 socket, might be able to salvage a decent folding unit out of a 12 core x 2 yet.....
Old October 14, 2011, 06:53 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

12 cores are for wussies. 16 cores iz ze real deal. I'm eyeing the 6272... if Floating Point performance is there.
Pre-order prices of AMD Opteron 3200, 4200 and 6200 processors
Old October 14, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
12 cores are for wussies. 16 cores iz ze real deal. I'm eyeing the 6272... if Floating Point performance is there.
Pre-order prices of AMD Opteron 3200, 4200 and 6200 processors
What are you using 16 cores for? Rendering pron?

Jk jk. You probably have a legit use for it.