Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2011, 02:13 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
Not sure if this has been posted (or even if I am allowed) but has anybody seen this review were bulldozer seems to best a 2600k in gaming?

NCIX FORUMS - New Review Shows FX-8150 beating i7 260...

Edit: the actual review is here: AMD FX-8150 Black Edition 8-Core Processor vs Core i7-2600K Review - Introduction - SugarJ
Well I dunno I feel that's within the margin of error. Those games look GPU bound to me, it's sorta impressive it can do so well at shogun, but why does he have 8xAA on in the other tests? that's not going to affect CPU load in the slightest and only makes the results more reliant on the GPU. and Why SSAO enabled? isn't that a pure graphics card technology? why are setting that don't affect the CPU enabled. I want to know how well the CPU runs the game when the game is CPU bottlenecked, not what Chipset and motherboard handles the game better under GPU bottleneck. I much prefer the way these tests used to be done.
Old October 13, 2011, 04:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyg5 View Post
Well I dunno I feel that's within the margin of error. Those games look GPU bound to me, it's sorta impressive it can do so well at shogun, but why does he have 8xAA on in the other tests? that's not going to affect CPU load in the slightest and only makes the results more reliant on the GPU. and Why SSAO enabled? isn't that a pure graphics card technology? why are setting that don't affect the CPU enabled. I want to know how well the CPU runs the game when the game is CPU bottlenecked, not what Chipset and motherboard handles the game better under GPU bottleneck. I much prefer the way these tests used to be done.
It's because he is reviewing the 6950 toxic edition at the same time.
Old October 13, 2011, 05:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The higher the temp the more resistance to the Voltage you are pumping into the chip. Keep it cool and its much more efficent from set voltage to actual voltage that the CPU receives.

Not that it matters here, this CPU just has no excuse.
I tried to support your GPU's and your drivers let me down.
I tried to support your CPU's and your architecture let me down.

What is left?

ST
I guess you can start/try to support their RAM?
Old October 13, 2011, 09:58 AM
MVP

Found some interesting charts elsewhere, where a 6970 XFire setup was used to try eliminate the GPU as a bottleneck....at full 1080/1200 resolutions, rather than 'turn down the res to try and feel for the CPU bottleneck'. Apparently the guy didn't have a 2500/2600, was running BD vs i7 920 @ 3.8 and a Phenom, forget which one. I don't know if there are driver optimization issues on the AM3, but the BD fell wayyyyy behind, like 15-20% in half of the 20 games that were run. I'd like to see someone replicate those results, but with a 2500K/2600K in the mix.

**EDIT found the replication I wanted. Tweaktown did 3x6970 CF and got the same sort of results, 8150@ 4.8 gets crunched by a 2600K @ 5.2.

Now I want to see with 580x2 or x3, on a different mobo than the review ASUS, for validation.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old October 13, 2011, 02:43 PM
Banned

Yes if the preformance is bad across ALL boards, chipsets & configurations on a equal to intel configurations basis losing past 10% in every single thing there compared against that can be ran ..... THEN I'll accept that its a total flop.

The only things the reviews have shown me is again as the one has sugested ..... just hold off with what i got & wait for the next revision & invest in a 2nd gen Sandforce SSD & 69xx or 7xxx series card to put into a piledriver or dare i even say intel cpu/motherboard upgrade IF things improve with piledriver ...

And just a friendly reminder to folks ..... if you haven't been around the pc game to remember the good ol days ..... no one buying / supporting AMD is going to usher that era back into play & your nice lil $1200 intel build is going to cost 3-5x's what it is now ... Ohhhh & intel with have no desire to put out improved architechure ....
Old October 13, 2011, 02:58 PM
Rookie

such a shame, I was hoping for BD to succeed...and it may in some aspects, but not gaming where I really need it...

onto intel I guess....going to be my first intel build in years, last being with a Celeron 2.4ghz. :(
Old October 13, 2011, 03:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

After reading alot of other reviews my opinion has been improved alot. reading reviews from guru3D specifically, because for some reason in their review the 8150 keeps up with the 2600k much better and it responded greatly to over clock to a point where in some cases it was able to wipe the floor with it but only in a few cases. i think AMD could have something on their hands if they take the time between now and Q1 to refine the architecture and reduce latency in cache and find a way to improve FPU and scheduler performance. so i just hope to the lord that with a few more steppings maybe to c0 or so this could be pretty darn worthwhile, just hope
Old October 13, 2011, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If they lower the price point it will be more competitive.

It's still a disappointment, but if it's priced right then it still comes down to performance per $
Old October 13, 2011, 03:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
After reading alot of other reviews my opinion has been improved alot. reading reviews from guru3D specifically, because for some reason in their review the 8150 keeps up with the 2600k much better and it responded greatly to over clock to a point where in some cases it was able to wipe the floor with it but only in a few cases. i think AMD could have something on their hands if they take the time between now and Q1 to refine the architecture and reduce latency in cache and find a way to improve FPU and scheduler performance. so i just hope to the lord that with a few more steppings maybe to c0 or so this could be pretty darn worthwhile, just hope
My thoughts exactly. I am not going to deny that the FX-8150 was bit of let down, but it definetly helps to read/review multiple reviews to get a better understanding. Will be interesting to see how the reviews will look when FX-8170 rolles around; time will tell. Besides, once the hype settles down so will the prices and the chips will be that much more attractive.
Old October 13, 2011, 04:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
If they lower the price point it will be more competitive.

It's still a disappointment, but if it's priced right then it still comes down to performance per $
I hope the price comes down, and then, only then might I invest in it just to try it with SLI. I cannot stand a monopoly so I will give some finanical support to the Red team ( I have always tried).

Lets hope they can get this working better in the future through whatever means.
No Competition would really suck.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com