Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2011, 01:59 PM
tianfeng's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 120

My System Specs

Default

Well this sucks. I was so excited i went out and upgraded my 790fx to a crosshair V. Now i wish I hadn't. No real jump. I am getting 4.1 and 6 cores on my 1055t. the power usage on this thing is scary. Well that was 250 on the motherboard not well spent.
Reply With Quote
  #102 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2011, 02:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: midland, ontario
Posts: 519
Default

Again like i have said already .... the flagship is not goin to be the cpu to get/battle ....... Its the 8120 model. How many peaple bought X6 1055T's when they found out it can clock up to the same levels as the unlocked 1090's?

And YES you's can ALL keep saying it's a fail, BUT you's still are not factoring in bios/driver updates, overclocking (main core's &/or northbridge) & Future software like Windows 8 that is going to be multi thread/core/parallel optimized vs singular thread. Is then a 8120 at the lower pricepoint STILL a failure vs 2500/2600k's if tweaks/clockings involved ?

As a few reviews that also have ran 8120's have sugested it not such a failure when you take its pricing & almost identicle scaling/preformance into factor. Of course, none in this thread seem to want to have a optimistic forward thinking view on it ... so i'll take the critisism for my opinion on it weither its agreed upon, respected or not.
Reply With Quote
  #103 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2011, 03:01 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Again like i have said already .... the flagship is not goin to be the cpu to get/battle ....... Its the 8120 model. How many peaple bought X6 1055T's when they found out it can clock up to the same levels as the unlocked 1090's?

And YES you's can ALL keep saying it's a fail, BUT you's still are not factoring in bios/driver updates, overclocking (main core's &/or northbridge) & Future software like Windows 8 that is going to be multi thread/core/parallel optimized vs singular thread. Is then a 8120 at the lower pricepoint STILL a failure vs 2500/2600k's if tweaks/clockings involved ?

As a few reviews that also have ran 8120's have sugested it not such a failure when you take its pricing & almost identicle scaling/preformance into factor. Of course, none in this thread seem to want to have a optimistic forward thinking view on it ... so i'll take the critisism for my opinion on it weither its agreed upon, respected or not.
Windows 8 is at the very least a year away. It is NOT going to help BD before then (I have yet to see apples to apples win 8 + BD vs win 8 + 1090t vs win 8 + 2600K.... and it could be that win 8 will help ALL cpus). Bios and other refinements will probably improve things...but I truly doubt they will improve things enough to help BD. Why buy a 8120 when you can get a 2500K and OC the snot out of it. After all if you are planning on OC'ing....why not get the "better" chip that has more potential?
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #104 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2011, 03:21 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 265
Default

Well, a couple of the reviews made reference to **speculation** that their yields might not have been very good, and that they **might** be binning the best chips for 8150's and the lesser ones for 8120's, that won't run 3.9/4.2 with stock vcore (or a little less, realistically - why would the manufacturer ship chips on the bleeding edge of stability). We shall see, but if the above is true we could see some real duds in 8120 boxes.

All in all though, most of us aren't running many multiple threads simultaneously, just gaming and a little surfing or music or IM or whatever on the side. For that type of use, the 8150 is a faildozer, and that's what all the fuss is about. Well, that and the DOUBLE POWER CONSUMPTION to a 2500K zomg. It uses more power overclocked than an i7 920, which did cause me to giggle a bit last night. I forsee some system failures/long headache inducing debugging sessions as people with not enough power supply figure out what's happening.
__________________
2600K @4.6 for now, still tweaking.
P8Z68-V Pro Gen3
Patriot Div2 Viper Extreme PC3-15000 4GBx2 (1866 9-11-9-27-2)
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Reply With Quote
  #105 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
techman95's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 322

My System Specs

Default

apparently not everyone has gotten the message yet, newegg is already sold out of the 8150.
Reply With Quote
  #106 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
BrainEater's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,509
Default



I don't think this will bring down the Intel prices.

__________________
Intel 3930k /rIVe/32 Gb vengeance LP/Nvidia TITAN/760/760/Intel 520's/WD raptors/etc...
Reply With Quote
  #107 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2011, 03:59 PM
Trial Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Posts: 1

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
apparently not everyone has gotten the message yet, newegg is already sold out of the 8150.
That, or AMD only shipped out tiny quantities of the desktop chips, knowing that they weren't going to be very popular. They probably only produced a limited number of Zambezi's so that they could get something of a launch over with. I'd guess they think they're better off putting most wafer starts into Llano, and putting their best bulldozer dies into their server Interlagos cpus.
Reply With Quote
  #108 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2011, 04:03 PM
Wurmer's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 264

My System Specs

Default

I was expecting far more from this new chips like many folks here, very sad indeed. I don't know if we are not expecting too much from AMD. I am starting to wonder if AMD can't really take the lead without something like Prescott and Netburst happening again and I don't see Intel going toward this direction any time soon. Truth be told, the $$$ AMD has for R&D is like pocket change compare to Intel and it will probably, in most instance, come as second best. This is not good for us consumers, we need more competition but at the end of the day I rather have some sort of second best than none at all...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #109 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2011, 04:10 PM
ern88's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 277

My System Specs

Default

Hitler reacts about Bulldozer release!!!! LMAO

Hitler finds out about the AMD Bulldozer benchmarks - YouTube

All I have to say is it looks like AMD is the guy with one leg going to an Intel ass kicking contest!!!!

Last edited by ern88; October 12, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #110 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2011, 04:12 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: midland, ontario
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Windows 8 is at the very least a year away. It is NOT going to help BD before then (I have yet to see apples to apples win 8 + BD vs win 8 + 1090t vs win 8 + 2600K.... and it could be that win 8 will help ALL cpus). Bios and other refinements will probably improve things...but I truly doubt they will improve things enough to help BD. Why buy a 8120 when you can get a 2500K and OC the snot out of it. After all if you are planning on OC'ing....why not get the "better" chip that has more potential?
Have you even bothered to look at any preview info that was included in some of these reviews & how dozer will run on them? If i go by the one on i think its safe to say on here tom's ... they do have win 8 beta optimization runs up there of a 8150 vs i believe a 2600k which shows the diffrences how they will run.

Also FYI 2012 is only 2 months away ... I also believe they said win 8 is not that far away from being done so where do you get this a year away from ?

Like I said everyone is ready to call this a fail now ..... how many of the reviewers have said they have had limited time with there chips ?? How many more will be out there & tinker with it to find more preformance before giving it a fail ... Alot more ...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Processor Review Comment Thread SKYMTL CPU's and Motherboards 12 May 3, 2011 06:27 PM
Intel Core i7-980X Gulftown Processor Review Comment Thread SKYMTL CPU's and Motherboards 103 September 23, 2010 01:21 PM
BFG GTX 260 Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 33 November 15, 2008 10:26 PM
BFG GTX 280 OCX Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 15 August 19, 2008 08:07 PM