Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2011, 08:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Intel motherboards

Hi,

What would the difference be between an intel z68 chipset motherboard made by intel vs one made by asus or gigabyte?
Old October 2, 2011, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Its the same chip. The manufacturer just decides on what the layout and i/o ports are determined.
Old October 2, 2011, 08:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Its the same chip. The manufacturer just decides on what the layout and i/o ports are determined.
Im building a gaming computer that will cost about 900$ without just for the case
what do i get more by buying an asus or a gigabyte vs the intel?
Old October 3, 2011, 08:05 AM
MVP

The Z68 chipset is made by Intel and then sold to manufacturers that then use it to power their motherboards. The chipset is responsible for the motherboard functions and communicating with the processor and RAM, etc and getting all the different pieces of the computer to work together and in sync. A motherboard manufactured by Intel will still have the chipset powering it as one from Asus or Gigabyte but the components will be different. Each manufacturer will use different components and features to try and make their motherboard more desirable to consumers. Any of those three manufacturers will work just fine but each will offer slightly different quality, features (PCI-e slots, USB3 connections, debug LEDs, etc), and options that might appeal to a certain market. If you are most interested in gaming you will want to look at the offerings from each company aimed at that segment. Hope that helps.
Old October 3, 2011, 08:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ras above me touched on quite a number of reasons why.
Another big factor back in the day was Overclocking ability. Intel boards never used to have it, though I believe that has changed.

Beyond that, it is only a matter of finding what you want to use, I have never had an issue with getting myself an Intel board vs any other manufacturer.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com