Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2011, 04:41 PM
Banned

Default Asrock or MSI Z68?

I'm leaning towards Asrock or MSI if I upgrade to sandy bridge but then I'd get a Z68 mobo, probably.

These are my picks:

MSI Z68A-GD55 (B3) - $150
ASRock Z68 PRO3-M - $135
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $150
ASRock Z68 PRO3 - $150

I was going to include a Biostar in there but mostly just for price:
BIOSTAR TZ68A+RCH - $135

Comments? Advice?

I think $150 is plenty for a mobo but if anyone knows anything about the above motherboards.... would be great to obtain some info!

I'm not really interested in either Asus or Gigabyte as I find them overpriced and Asus lacks a feature I might want and Gigabyte, although they have great boards, lacks UEFI on their boards for some reason.
Old October 2, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

asrock is better than the msi

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old October 2, 2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsamz_ View Post
asrock is better than the msi
Why? Please elaborate.
Old October 2, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

MSI have been very good for the past few years, since the era of 1366. And they also have a pretty good support which is a terrible leak to asrock. I would definatly put my trust in the Z68A.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 2, 2011, 06:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Coin toss really for me.
I have actually started to hear good things about ASrock these days (Don't get me wrong, their CSR's used to be horrible).

However I stopped buying MSI after their support team and product issues forced me to out of pocket a few times now. And there are quite a few people I know now who didn't like them.

That being side if you look at a deisgn standpoint , both have very temtping prodcuts on their high end units. So from a features standpoint, which ever one you can find cheaper.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 2, 2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Coin toss really for me.
I have actually started to hear good things about ASrock these days (Don't get me wrong, their CSR's used to be horrible).

However I stopped buying MSI after their support team and product issues forced me to out of pocket a few times now. And there are quite a few people I know now who didn't like them.

That being side if you look at a deisgn standpoint , both have very temtping prodcuts on their high end units. So from a features standpoint, which ever one you can find cheaper.

-ST
I think price will be about the same. Unless there are some price reductions by the time I'd buy, they seem like $135 to $150 with $150 generally the price for comparable motherboards.

Were your product/support issues with motherboards?

I know MSI has a support forum and Asrock doesn't, AFAIK. I would be surprised if MSI wasn't helpful if one was using the forum. It would be bad public relations but then I feel there isn't really a company that is far and above anyone else. One can find horror stories with any company.

However, if there is a tendency for bad support or a pattern, then I'd be very wary of going with a particular brand.

I choose MSI and Asrock since there generally seems to be adequate reviews, the prices are lower than Asus and Gigabyte for similar/comparable boards and like I said, there's a few feature/chipset issues.

For Z68 boards, Asus doesn't support vt-d as far as I know even though it's supposed to be permissable via the BIOS with the right cpu. Also, I use Linux and Asus uses a usb 3.0 chipset brand that is not supported. My other complain, while minor, is justifiable, imho, is that there's a lot of people who have issues with their boards. I think it's just that they're a big company with so many boards so the QC needs to improve. Perhaps, they cut a few corners, too.

Asrock seems to get decent reviews and seem to include most features for under $200 so I have included their boards as an option.

MSI has the forum, the vt-d support, a better USB 3.0 chipset than other mobo manufacturers and possibly decent overall quality plus the UEFI BIOS (Asrock does as well). I can't comment about any of the negatives or support since I haven't had any MSI products yet.
Old October 2, 2011, 07:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

What about the Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 its $136, or the
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 for $149 these are good motherboards.
Do not know if you like Gigabyte boards, I find them good for service.

Old October 2, 2011, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
Why? Please elaborate.

asus has the best p67 z68 boards right now

asrock is owned by asus

either buy an asus or an asrock

i played with 6 different 1155 boards n the asus are best

i'm using a gene-z had to rma my ud7
i normaly dont cheap out on a board but this thing is a beast spanks my ud7 in every way

even the sabertooth i have is flawless
voltage control is just spot on with asus unlike the gigabyte boards
i wouldnt trade my gene-z for a ud7

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old October 2, 2011, 08:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
I think price will be about the same. Unless there are some price reductions by the time I'd buy, they seem like $135 to $150 with $150 generally the price for comparable motherboards.

Were your product/support issues with motherboards?

I know MSI has a support forum and Asrock doesn't, AFAIK. I would be surprised if MSI wasn't helpful if one was using the forum. It would be bad public relations but then I feel there isn't really a company that is far and above anyone else. One can find horror stories with any company.

However, if there is a tendency for bad support or a pattern, then I'd be very wary of going with a particular brand.

I choose MSI and Asrock since there generally seems to be adequate reviews, the prices are lower than Asus and Gigabyte for similar/comparable boards and like I said, there's a few feature/chipset issues.

For Z68 boards, Asus doesn't support vt-d as far as I know even though it's supposed to be permissable via the BIOS with the right cpu. Also, I use Linux and Asus uses a usb 3.0 chipset brand that is not supported. My other complain, while minor, is justifiable, imho, is that there's a lot of people who have issues with their boards. I think it's just that they're a big company with so many boards so the QC needs to improve. Perhaps, they cut a few corners, too.

Asrock seems to get decent reviews and seem to include most features for under $200 so I have included their boards as an option.

MSI has the forum, the vt-d support, a better USB 3.0 chipset than other mobo manufacturers and possibly decent overall quality plus the UEFI BIOS (Asrock does as well). I can't comment about any of the negatives or support since I haven't had any MSI products yet.
I had two major sets of issues myself.

The first is going back a ways to the P965 NEO days, which resulted in me going through 3 boards, spending quite a bit on shipping bad boards back...getting a lot of new stuff to troubleshoot, and in the end on the 4th board I had it last for a few years (ironically it just died lol).
IT was akin to pulling teeth with there CS, and caused me much frustration but such is the way sometimes with companies (that being said, so far out of all board failures only MSI has been a struggle to get help).

I gave them the benifit of the doubt and opted for 3 builds using their 790FX-GD70 boards. 2 of 3 were DOA so I could go to the store to get replacements, which helped. But 1 more failed after just 4 months. And they refused to RMA it with me for the longest time, up to the point of accusing me of breaking the board...yes they went that far.
I did eventually get an RMA after a lot of diplomatic emails to them.
After that I just gave up. I know they can be helpful , I know people have been helped by them. I just lost faith in them, and a few of my friends who loved MSI (I did too even before the NEO boards) lost their faith in the quality of that company.

Now, I have never owned ASrock. For the longest time they had a bad rap from stories and such I read on the net. But lately they have really sharpened up their product lineup and such so it is always worth a shot.

If I honestly had to choose? My order of Companies goes:

ASUS/Gigabyte (love em both)
EVGA (though with recent restructring of their MB development team that might change)
Intel Boards
ASROCK
FoXconn (if you can find them)

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 3, 2011, 03:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is it possible that there was some sort of defect in that particular line of boards? I happen to be at the other end of the spectrum. I built three systems using the P55 GD80 (one of them being my own). My board now resides in my girlfriend's rig and the other two are still running flawlessly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy msi boards from the intel line. I can't comment on amd boards or processors as I have never bought or built an amd rig.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)