Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

Default multiple questions - budget system or???

I have several questions...

Let's assume I can get $250 for my LGA775 system...

1) I was wondering whether I can get a cheap H67 mobo w/ i5-2500K and I'll swap out the mobo later. I really want to move to a DDR3 system so I am wondering what top speed I should go for... I guess that part of the question should be in the RAM category but the other part of the questions regard other components! :)

2) Also, I think I prefer an Asus mobo but MSI is acceptable. Any reason to consider other brands? Although, I think I should just go for the cheapest H67 board. The reason I'd pick H67 is to get the Intel graphics however I'd go for P67 but again, the cheapest board.... any thoughts?

3) the other idea I had was to sell my current P45 mobo and get a DDR3 LGA775 mobo but those motherboards have limitations on the DDR3 memory speed, right? The highest I've found is 1600.

Is $320 doable for this or is that too low?

I think I have $100 cash to play with to add to what I sell so if I can get $250 for my current system... I can probably do it?

The other components in my system are:

P45 Asus P5Q
Q6600
4GB DD2 PC2-6400
Nvidia 7950GT
Corsair HX520W
Antec 300

But, if I sell the entire system, I need to buy the other stuff, PSU, case etc.

Should I just sell the mobo, RAM, cpu and video card, then? ????

Need some advice, guys!! :)

I know this budget amount sucks and is low compared to what is often posted here but I am saving up for a laptop, too... and other stuff. .... ugh!!!

What option is best and is most workable?
Old September 10, 2011, 03:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

with H67 you don't have access to modify the multiplier of the 2500k, so is kinda nonsense. P67 or Z68. keep your 7950, it trumps the HD3000 anytime. Just moving to DDR3 for the sake of DDR3 is not a wise move, what are you doing with that machine?. If you have limitations on the system they come from other components. I would also keep the case and the PSU. Price wise you will have to spend 250$ just on cpu and ram. Kinda expensive your upgrade and you don't really get into budget, But again, depends what do you do on that platform? you really need 4 real cores? Because the only activities I can think of to scale very well with the number of cores are rendering, video transcoding and ...ummm, folding. And for all of them you could get a cheaper Phenom II X6 BE which would do fine. Not to mention also the cheaper mobos for it.
Old September 10, 2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
with H67 you don't have access to modify the multiplier of the 2500k, so is kinda nonsense. P67 or Z68. keep your 7950, it trumps the HD3000 anytime. Just moving to DDR3 for the sake of DDR3 is not a wise move, what are you doing with that machine?. If you have limitations on the system they come from other components. I would also keep the case and the PSU. Price wise you will have to spend 250$ just on cpu and ram. Kinda expensive your upgrade and you don't really get into budget, But again, depends what do you do on that platform? you really need 4 real cores? Because the only activities I can think of to scale very well with the number of cores are rendering, video transcoding and ...ummm, folding. And for all of them you could get a cheaper Phenom II X6 BE which would do fine. Not to mention also the cheaper mobos for it.
I thought of that.

Noticed a good deal on newegg for some AMD 880 motherboards but to be honest, I am not as up to date on AMD hardware so I have no idea which ones to get if I went that route.

The other major reason I choose Intel and i5-2xxx is because of the superior efficiency with regards to temps and power consumption. Imho, AMD doesn't come close comparatively speaking. For e.g., i5-24xx or i5-25-- processor v.s. comparable AMD processor (Phenom II X4 or X6?), it is not very close, I believe. The intel cpu outperforms on benchmarks while running at less power and temps. Unless I perceived something wrong, I believe even HWC benchmarks comparing the two displayed this result?

But, you are right, part for part, AMD is still an inviting option for price reasons.

The reason I want four cores is I intend to run a virtual machine. I believe it will benefit from the extra cores and extra RAM. I just don't want to invest in any more DDR2 RAM (I have 4GB) and moving to DDR3 lets me move to 16 if I want.

I am not sure if the benefit is worth the cost but it would be nice to do. :)
Old September 10, 2011, 11:31 AM
Allstar

Personally, I would just save even more money and just go a full out current rig. There's no point buying a 775 DDR3 board since I don't think it will give you any performance gain for the price you pay. If you have the right RAM, you can probably pick up another 4GB from NCIX for ~$50 on sales. That way you can still keep the Q6600 around for a bit longer and then turn it into headless VM later. Can't say about the performance myself since I haven't done the same with my Q6600 but I do have 8GB of RAM lined up.
Old September 10, 2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

I have Mushkin RAM and you can't find it anywhere except used so if I try to buy new RAM, good luck to me trying to find something equivalent with comparable timings etc.

My best bet might be to buy 8GB of DDR2 RAM as a set and sell what I have?

I didn't want to invest in any more of the old stuff which is why I am constantly weighing my options and trying to decide whether it's a good route to upgrade now or wait! Where's the 'banging-the-head-on-the-wall", smilie?!?
Old September 10, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Probably the PhII X6 does the same job with 6 cores as the 2500k with 4, which clearly shows who is more efficient. But do you really care about that? Running Virtual Machines however will advantage the PhII as it has more cores, and if you do that you would need some more ram of course. I have to agree with moocow, either get more ram and keep the platform you have or you go all out for something that would really make a difference.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Probably the PhII X6 does the same job with 6 cores as the 2500k with 4, which clearly shows who is more efficient. But do you really care about that? Running Virtual Machines however will advantage the PhII as it has more cores, and if you do that you would need some more ram of course. I have to agree with moocow, either get more ram and keep the platform you have or you go all out for something that would really make a difference.
If I went AMD, I should probably get a AM3+ mobo then, right?

I don't know anything about the AMD stuff or what you need but a little searching seems to indicate one would want a 990X or 990FX AM3+ mobo which would allow upgrading to bulldozer later on?

It seems the cheapest board is then $160.

So, Phenom II X4 955 is $110 to PhII X6 1100T $190 are potential choices. This seems only slightly cheaper than i5-2500k system and the Intel is much faster and cooler running. There's not much known about bulldozer, too, which is another negative.

Do most P67 motherboards take ivybridge, just curious? The AMD route might be more upgradeable but then the same story that most ppl just end up switching to a brand new system. Although, being a bit future proof would result in some savings if you are just switching processors before another major upgrade.
Old September 11, 2011, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

skip the X4 go to X6. You can also go with the 1090 not necessary to go with the 1100, you save some money and it is a well known fact that lower clocked chips overclock better, you would hit 4GHz with the stock cooler with no issues probably. If you want to change for Bulldozer later, yes you would need AM3+. There are boards even under 100$. the Asrock 880G Pro 3 is 99$ on newegg.ca, has integrated graphics and 2 additional pcie x16 slots so should be fine. Not to mention very handy clear CMOS button on the backplate!

Old September 11, 2011, 09:16 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i say go amd. the x6 in particular. they actally run pretty cool and the new 990 boards are amazing think z68 level stuff just with out ssd cache. and ive always been an amd guy but not some hard core fanboy though. and amd has always been plenty fast for 95 percent of things. so i say let my haters hate
Old September 11, 2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

I checked and it does look like my Corsair HX520W has two PCI-e power connectors on the PSU! So, I don't need anything then?

I wonder why when I was researching, googling uncovered discussions of needing a molex connector for this power supply to power 460/560 cards. Maybe they wanted to use them in SLI? I guess I'm confused.

Anyway, comparing Intel and AMD choices, I was thinking of this comparison:

AMD
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE - $170
AMD 990FX mobo - $150 (cheapest)

$170 + $150 = $320

Intel
i5-2500K - $210
H67 mobo - $65 (cheapest)
or Z68 - $120 (cheapest)

$210 + $120 = $330

I think the intel solution is the better deal. The question is what is coming with bulldozer and whether ivybridge processors would be compabible with the 1155 motherboard. ???

I do acknowledge the motherboard choices are cheaper and better specs/features for the price with AMD FX990 motherboards compared to prices of the Intel mobo to get the same. But, not by a lot. Once you get into $150-ish boards, the gap gets closer. However, the Intel cpu is $40 more but considerably faster.