Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2011, 05:54 PM
Allstar

What exactly are you planning to do with the VM? Webserver? Database? Application Server? The reason why AMD X6 came up is because of core counts. You have to tell the VM how much CPU and RAM to assign to each VM. So with a 2500K, you can at best do 2/2 CPU and at worst 1/1/1/1 CPU. However, with a X6, you get a bit more flexibility with 2/4 or 3/3 or 2/2/2 or 1/1/1/1/1/1 or 1/5. While I have no proof whatsoever, I don't think a 1 core 2500K can out perform a 2 core AMD. At this point, 990 is not completely guaranteed to run Bulldozer.

Seriously, I don't know why people keep rushing to buy new rigs right now. It's as logical as buying the IPad 1 when it's 70% thru the development cycle of IPad2. In all honestly, unless you really really really need a new rig for work, really no point in investing in hardware right now, especially when you're cashless.
Old September 25, 2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
What exactly are you planning to do with the VM? Webserver? Database? Application Server? The reason why AMD X6 came up is because of core counts. You have to tell the VM how much CPU and RAM to assign to each VM. So with a 2500K, you can at best do 2/2 CPU and at worst 1/1/1/1 CPU. However, with a X6, you get a bit more flexibility with 2/4 or 3/3 or 2/2/2 or 1/1/1/1/1/1 or 1/5. While I have no proof whatsoever, I don't think a 1 core 2500K can out perform a 2 core AMD. At this point, 990 is not completely guaranteed to run Bulldozer.

Seriously, I don't know why people keep rushing to buy new rigs right now. It's as logical as buying the IPad 1 when it's 70% thru the development cycle of IPad2. In all honestly, unless you really really really need a new rig for work, really no point in investing in hardware right now, especially when you're cashless.
Well, my Q6600 is really limited for virtualization?

If I sell it for $100, I can get an i7-2600 that has HT (for $300)? So, in essence, for $200? My mobo, maybe I can get close to $100 and RAM for $50.

I only need a bit extra to complete a new build. That was my thinking. I am not in a rush or I would be if I had more money. :)

I am sure I wouldn't do an upgrade after that any time soon so no chance within 5 yrs or so unless the planets align right... lol

Also, I could wait for BD and see what happens there but I am not too confident about it but if it's a better price for more cores and the power consumption is not as bad as the Phenom generation, maybe it's an option.
Old September 25, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
990 is not completely guaranteed
This is false 990 runs bulldozer, 990 was released specifically to run bulldozer. I recommend waiting for bulldozer in your case because 8 cores will definately help you.
Old September 26, 2011, 12:07 AM
Allstar

Stand corrected but I still won't buy a board before the CPU is out just in case any last minute surprises.
Old September 26, 2011, 02:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
This is false 990 runs bulldozer, 990 was released specifically to run bulldozer. I recommend waiting for bulldozer in your case because 8 cores will definately help you.
Well, there are some discussions on some other sites in which people are claiming these are 'fake' cores or not true cores or something to that effect. I'm just summarizing or simplifying it, however.

The general idea seems to suggest that although there's extra cores, it's still not powerful enough to 'beat' an i7-2600 that is using HT to get its 8 cores.

If this is true, this might be why there's so much negativity and disappointment (and why there is the delay).

If I only have to wait three weeks, though, I can do that. :)

I'm just wondering if I should have my stuff sold by then? :)