Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2011, 09:42 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I was talking about the statement I quoted, Gigabyte has cut corners across the entire SNB line more than any other mobo manufacturer. Are you saying they have less features than other manufacturers? I dont get it. Cut corners how? Also not sure what you mean "if their Z68 boards have a true Z68 chipset at all". Z68 is Z68, there are no lesser or greater versions of the chipset.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I was talking about the statement I quoted, Gigabyte has cut corners across the entire SNB line more than any other mobo manufacturer. Are you saying they have less features than other manufacturers? I dont get it. Cut corners how? Also not sure what you mean "if their Z68 boards have a true Z68 chipset at all". Z68 is Z68, there are no lesser or greater versions of the chipset.
Yes, I am saying they are cutting features when they don't include the onboard graphics option and then on other boards when they do, it's usually only HDMI. In their lineup, there are ones with multiple graphics options but I bet they are expensive.

It's well known by now that many of their Z68 entries didn't have onboard options.

Read the last post:
Mobo z68 vs p67 chipset question

Gigabyte Z68/2500k: Integrated graphics not present? [Archive] - AnandTech Forums

The Z68's main benefit is the onboard graphics option compared to P67. The Z68 also allows to overclock the -K processors AND use the onboard or on-chip graphics as well. I think if the Z68 chipset is offering these features and Gigabyte decides not to have the onboard graphics as an option that is part of the Z68 chipset, it's not a true Z68 board which others have said, too.

Not sure why you're still asking about this.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:13 AM

Gigabyte has Z68 boards with video out (Z68XP) and without video out (Z68X). The chipset is the same, the difference is physically adding a video out on the board. It is not a matter of skimping on features, they just have 2 versions of Z68 boards. If you want onboard video you buy XP if you dont care buy whichever is cheaper.
Old September 7, 2011, 11:41 AM
Rookie

lol now im even more confused , thanks to you both for the feedback,
i have a 27" lcd monitor so im using hdmi atm and tbh im not really bothered about onboard gfx,but i can see it would be a good option as a back up.

money isnt really a problem for something which might be 50$ more etc.
so im still un decided on what to go for i think z68 bored but which one ?

help

thanks guys
Old September 7, 2011, 11:45 AM

Any of the ones in that list I posted are good boards m8. My personal opinion is that ASUS has done the best job for 1155 of all manus. Nice UEFI BIOS, good software, pretty much bug free.
Old September 7, 2011, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Any of the ones in that list I posted are good boards m8. My personal opinion is that ASUS has done the best job for 1155 of all manus. Nice UEFI BIOS, good software, pretty much bug free.

of all the boards i tested asus is the best

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old September 7, 2011, 02:46 PM
Rookie

Asus it is then thanks guys a very big help to all , on helping this newbie decide on what to get

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Old September 7, 2011, 03:01 PM

I actually reviewed that board, here it is :) ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Sandy Bridge Motherboard Review
Old September 7, 2011, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If it helps I have about 15 or so of those boards in builds at work and so far they have been great and reliable.

As for my own, the P8P67 Deluxe, it has been a very good board and has handled everything I have thrown at it.

Old October 6, 2011, 07:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Digging up an old thread here as I'm looking for some information myself.

I'd pretty much set my heard on the ASUS Sabertooth even though I've had some flaky issues in the past with my P5DH Deluxe that I'm using right now. It looks good, posts some excellent overclocking figures, and I really don't have a lot of use for any of the Z-Series features like onboard video.

That being said I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I was considering eVGA as well but after reading two back to back posts from eVGA in response to customers concerns that basically said "We can't officially support overclocking." "Our boards are stripped down and designed for overclocking enthusiasts". Wait what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEgg
Manufacturer Response:
Hello,

I do apologize you are having issues with the board. While we cannot officially assist you with overclocking we can assist in getting the board to run at stock speeds. Please contact our 24/7 technical support (888)-881-3842 so we can assist you further.

Regards,
Matthew Hurwitz
Assistant Product Manager
Matth@evga.com
Followed by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEgg
Manufacturer Response:
Thank you for your feedback. Here at EVGA we strive to make some of the most reliable components in the industry and we are the #1 Nvidia partner in North America for a reason. While we have not experienced any drops in quality control recently we do take all of our customer opinions very seriously and we are sorry to hear that you are not happy with your product.

The P67 and Z68 line of motherboards are designed to offer a unique set of features beyond the I/O with a focus on overclocking. A full list of these features can be found on our website at EVGA | Articles | EVGA Z68 Series.

You may contact our 24/7 technical support at 888-881-3842, if you are having a problem getting the board working properly. We are here to support you with any issues that you may be experiencing with our products.

Regards,
Matthew Hurwitz
Assistant Product Manager
Matth@evga.com

Here's what I'm looking for in a board:

Ability to hit a stable 5.0G overclock on a 2500K using watercooling. (Apogee GTZ waterblock)
Ability to run two GPUs in Crossfire/SLI
Ability to use a PCI-E soundcard (Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium)
No FDD connector
No PATA connector
No funky pastel colors

So, that being said, do you guys think the Sabertooth will meet my requirements? Is there something else you'd recommend?