Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2011, 10:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Do you have to format your HDD if you switch mobo's?

I'm going from Gigabyte to Asus since it has a feature that I want to try out. Can't I simply uninstall my Gigabyte's drivers and install the new ones as I switch?

And is it true that if I do that my Windows 7 will expire?

Mobo I ordered: NCIX.com - Buy ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 DDR3 ATX AMD 890FX 4PCI-E16 2PCI CrossFireX 6 SATA 6GB/S Motherboard - ASUS - CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA - in Canada
Old August 24, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You may or may not have to reformat, usually a reformat is the recommended choice as you run into less driver issues. If it's the same chipset but a different board, you could probably get away without having to reformat.

When Windows notices the hardware change, it will ask you to activate Windows again. If you have any activation issues, call Microsoft and tell them it's a RMA replacement.
Old August 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

You can also run sysprep (google it) on the os before you do the swap.
Old August 24, 2011, 10:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
You may or may not have to reformat, usually a reformat is the recommended choice as you run into less driver issues. If it's the same chipset but a different board, you could probably get away without having to reformat.

When Windows notices the hardware change, it will ask you to activate Windows again. If you have any activation issues, call Microsoft and tell them it's a RMA replacement.
Thanks.

Do I have to call them?
Old August 24, 2011, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I never format. It's worked fine on hundreds of swaps. Windows XP might need a repair install done. Windows 7 is even easier as it just works.
Old August 24, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've gone from a 2 core Intel (P45 chipset) to a 6 core AMD (990X chipset) on the same install of Windows 7, all it did was load the drivers and ask me to reboot. My copy isn't necessarily legit though, so I don't know about activation.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 24, 2011, 12:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I never format. It's worked fine on hundreds of swaps. Windows XP might need a repair install done. Windows 7 is even easier as it just works.
So I just switch them up like that? I better make an image just in case.
Old August 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
Banned
F@H

its a bit like flipping a coin. sometimes its fine,it boots and starts looking for drivers,other times it only goes to safe mode,which is still good because
you can plug in your usb stick and save the documents ,other times it doesnt and gives you the ole blue screen. and then you pop in your

linux live cd

and save your data on the aformentioned usb stick and format..:)
Old August 24, 2011, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you are running windows 7 then just swap, as others I have gone from completly different chipsets and gens and it has worked out fine. everytime with 7, XP that was a different story.
If you are using a OEM windows Key things might get tricky, while I have had no problem switching my oem keys to different boards ( yeah you have to call them and explain it is a rmaed board) I have heard of ppl not getting the key transferred, but for me it has worked.

I believe you have 3 days to validate window after the swap IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 24, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonpaste View Post
So I just switch them up like that? I better make an image just in case.
Yep always make an image before making large changes like this if you can. That way you know you can fall back to your old setup. (I say this as I reinstall my laptop's Linux OS for being dumb enough to try to change filesystems on /tmp without imaging the little partition first )