Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2011, 03:41 PM
Rookie

Default question on SATA ports on P8P67 B3

currently i have all my sata II ports (blue) populated with my optical drive, ssd and 2 hard drives... id like to add another hard drive (Wd raptor) to make it my games hard drive..

i know that sata III is backwards compatible with sata II.. now my question are:

-will i run into problems if i re-arranged the sata configurations?
-does it matter if i use the intel sata III port (gray) or the marvel sata III port (dark blue) for my ssd?
-does the sata III ports (intel and marvell) support TRIM?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Old August 10, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

The Marvell should be what your SSD is on as I'm pretty sure those are the only ports that properly support 6GB/s for your SSD.
Other than that nope don't matter.
Old August 10, 2011, 04:56 PM
MVP
F@H

It only matters if you have a sata III ssd. The marvell controller uses an x1 interface and is thus limited to a theoretical max of 500MB/s (most benchmarks will show ~380MB/s max). Use the native sata III port in this case as it supports the actual sata III throughput.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old August 10, 2011, 05:57 PM
Rookie

thanks for the reply but forgot to mention that my ssd isnt sata III... so i should stick with the intel ports then?
Old August 10, 2011, 05:58 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The other thing about the Marvell ports is you do NOT want to use them for SSDs. They dont pass the TRIM command (or last time I check they didnt as Marvell was in the "we will neither confirm nor deny" stages of thangs). Use the Intel ports. Rearrange as necessary to get the SSD on the Intel sata 6 port (if its sata 6...otherwise just make sure its on a Intel port). Reboot go into bios make sure your boot order has the SSD as the number 1 drive.

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 10, 2011, 06:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would put your optical drive on the Marvell controller.

Keep everything else on the Intel controller. I'd still put the SSD into the "grey" SATA3 ports just for future needs.
Old August 10, 2011, 06:27 PM
Rookie

thanks for all the help guys!

really appreciate it and for the clarification