Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2011, 10:16 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 30
Default Should I wait?

So I want to upgrade my comp and I bought a couple of new things like a 570gtx and 750w PS but I wondering if i should wait on getting the 2500k and a P67/68 board. With bulldozer and sandy bridge-E coming maybe this year if they ever get released should i just hold off and wait. Im sitting on a stock Q6600 so i would defiantly be an upgrade ether way. I plan on doing a moderate overclock on the 2500k if i get one but i might just buy a CPU cooler and OC my Q6600 but if i wait for the LGA 2011 socket will my Cooler going to still work when i upgrade or do we know if the mounting options will be similar to current generations.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2011, 10:33 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

dozer maybe, -E will cost 4 arms and 3 fifth legs.

right now 2500k of course. itll probably go down in price with dozer on the shelves, but i dont see it dropping more than 20%.
at least right away

get the ud4p z68,its on special again at ncix
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,226

My System Specs

Default

If you're waiting for Bulldozer, you should be OK if you get a cooler that's also compatible with AM3 / AM3+. If you pick out a cooler that is compatible with a current AM3+ motherboard, then you can upgrade to Bulldozer and keep your cooler. Intel? I doubt it after seeing coolers have to change brackets for 775, 1156, and 1366.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_(processor)
MSI AM3+ CPU Support

As for the CPU, are you bottlenecked in anything you do with your computer? I was, which is why I changed from a Phenom 9950 (which was only slightly overclocked because Phenom 1 was not a good clocker) to a Core i5 2500k. However as a victim of the Cougar Point chipset recall, I'll also remind you that if you get a Sandy Bridge platform now, you get a little bit of peace of mind given that the P67 has been around for over half a year in the market. If you get a Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge E on release day, you may need to go through a few iterations of driver and BIOS updates for strange little bugs.
__________________
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2011, 02:01 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 30
Default

at the moment im pretty sure im bottlenecking my 570gtx. im probably going to wait till i get back to school in september to buy since its only a couple of weeks away.

were you talking about this board?
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 ATX LGA1155 P67 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - Gigabyte - GA-P67A-UD4-B3 - in Canada

any other recommended boards?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2011, 02:35 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

yup,ud4.good bugger :)


'xcept its the z68 we was tolking 'bout

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - Gigabyte - GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 - in Canada
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2011, 04:32 PM
maverick_brent's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 467

My System Specs

Default

Oc the quad and wait if u can ..of I was in ur shoes I would
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2011, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,383

My System Specs

Default

Q6600 is still a good CPU, OC it and wait for Bulldozer, or if you happen to have a couple thousand bucks lying around wait for SB-E
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2011, 07:49 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 30
Default

where did you find that on the sale page because i certainly couldn't find it.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2011, 08:04 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krep View Post
where did you find that on the sale page because i certainly couldn't find it.

&promoid=1363

;)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 7, 2011, 11:57 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 30
Default

oo found it for 6$ cheaper here should be able to price match with NCIX though still not sure if im going to buy it now or wait another couple of weeks though i don't think the price will change much in that time

Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 ATX LGA1155 P67 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - DirectCanada
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade or wait? Justin Cider Video Cards 8 March 8, 2011 11:31 AM
New i7 or wait Video_freak New Builds 20 October 3, 2010 04:00 AM
Wait a second... LacrosseTown Video Cards 6 May 25, 2010 10:26 AM
Wait to upgrade? RBA Video Cards 18 March 17, 2010 08:44 AM
Build or Wait??? jcmaz New Builds 6 July 22, 2009 09:12 AM