Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2008, 04:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Jumping into the (modernish)non-Mac side of things with perhaps a P5K or P5KC

Ok, I am slowly running out of patience for saving up to get a smokin' MacPro or something. To be honest I am kinda desperate to dual boot Windows and Mac OS X on a single decent machine because I have a tendency to use applications in both. Toyed with the idea of tossing Linux on there as well but with Mac OS X and Windows I don't have a pressing need for Linux sadly. I don't want to give up my existing 16 or so Macs or my 6 PCs, I just want to expand my hardware capabilities because all of my mobos date from 1986-early2001 with some newer components tossed in here and there.

So, I got thinking, why don't I just get a relatively cheap board, CPU, RAM and GFX then swap out my current primary Mac mobo, CPU, RAM and GFX then put this new mobo in the nice roomy case that my primary Mac was in?
Why not indeed. Sure I would sacrifice ease of install for OS X and some of it's updates however it might well be worth it. I mean, I have a decent PSU, cables, a few PATA drives, fans, etc in the case already. I also have a mounting system setup for two drives in the bottom of my case so for more drives(I need to grab a 500GB SATA HD asap as well.. I think I might need a SATA optical drive too) I could either use the 5.25" bays or install the stock 3.5" bay/carrier again.
If I go through with this, and I probably will, the mobo I will be buying will be the fifth mobo(first non-PowerPC) to go into the case my primary Mac is currently in.

Anyway, I started browsing around NCIX as well as the insanelymac wiki and stowing names and URLs of potential boards in a plain text
file. In the end it seems some of the better options are P35 boards such as some from Gigabyte and Asus. I am going to get to the point here, I like the expansion slots (types and positions) offered by the Asus P5K and P5KC. I also like the size, I am one for large boards and don't care for mATX. I guess that is mostly because of lack of expansion slots that the mATX boards suffer though.

Regardless, I may sound like a noob to you guys but I want to get an order on NCIX ready here pretty quickly.. perhaps within a few hours at minimum. I would like to hear from some of you guys first though as you know much more about this than me.
So, my questions to you are as follows:
P5k http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS
or
P5kC http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS
They are both similar prices and I just can't seem to decide what one I should go with. However, I think I am leaning towards the P5KC because it is black and seems to have a bit more in the way of audio capabilities. Aside from that and DDR3 they are pretty close spec-wise.

CPU? keeping in mind that as I am on a reasonably tight budget It cannot be something really awesome. I am not very familiar with Intel CPUs but on NCIX's and Asus' sites they do not mention any Celeron or E2160 in the compatible CPUs list yet on another site they mention that the P5KC can use Celeron 440 and E2160. Forgive my lack of knowledge about this but would a celeron 440, E1200 or E2160 actually be usable in a P5K/P5KC? Either it is sleep deprivation, my googleing skills have abandoned me or people don't update pages with specs but I can't seem to find all that much info on this.
These are some pages that I came across, I have no idea if they are reliable or not:
P5K: Asus P5K Intel P35 DDR2 |Specialtech.co.uk -
P5KC: Asus P5KC Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 or 3 Motherboard |Specialtech.co.uk -
Assuming they can be used in whatever board gets chosen I am ok with a celeron for now as they seem to clock reasonably well and it would not be hard to swap out for something better later.
I am really out of my element here. :\ No more overclocking by moving 2mm long x 1mm wide x 0.5mm tall surface mount resistors either.. *sigh*

Graphics card? An 8800GT would be really nice but I know something lower might have to be used for the time being. I am ok with that.. just no x2xx nvidia stuff, I am not _that_ desperate. Perhaps I should go with a 7300GT for now?

RAM? I am fine with used/refurb RAM so long as it works. I was thinking about perhaps starting off with 512MB-1GB then adding more later as my first goal is to just get everything setup and running so I am not stuck with this PII as my best system. >_>

I know this is pushing it somewhat tight but a P5KC, 500GB HD, and headphones(family member's birthday) puts me at a bit under $310 excluding S&H. It would be nice if not too unrealistic to try not to exceed $600 excluding S&H but I get the feeling that might be pushing it.
I don't even know if this really should be in this section. Meh, the moderators/admin can move it if they see fit.

How do I do it? How do I manage to make many of my posts so long? Think I need to sthu.
Old February 10, 2008, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, had a bit of a nap, finished off the end of a Star Trek book and took another look with google.
Seems people have used the E2160 and such with P5K with good results.
Can't believe I went and made a fool of myself like that. Next time, sleep then post. heh

Think I should get some RAMlike this?
Mushkin HP PC2-6400 HP2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-5-4-11 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=MUSHKIN

Please offer an opinion if you have one.

Last edited by MacJunky; February 10, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old February 10, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

What are your plans with the computer

Tell us that and we can help you more.
Old February 10, 2008, 10:27 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

And I don't mind long posts, it's just that it becomes more difficult to follow you with the choices on hand. Tell us:

exact budget, with/without shipping.
parts on hand
parts to be bought
what do you wish to do with your rig.

Then I'll be a whole lot easier to offer choices.
Old February 10, 2008, 11:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I have both P5K and P5KC and I highly recommend you go with P5K.
Old February 10, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry for the delay, typed this up hours ago only to encounter unexpected busyness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
exact budget, with/without shipping.
The max including shipping should probably be no more than $600. However, I don't know how much all this will cost to ship so I suppose my max excluding S&H should be around $550/$560 perhaps? As I said, I don't know how much shipping would cost.

Quote:
parts on hand
The ATX case my current Mac is in.
Antec Neopower 650 Blue
250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (PATA)
Pioneer DVR-112D (PATA)
4+1 USB 2.0 PCI card
Have a Sil0680A based ATA133 RAID card if needed too.
Can borrow a 10/100 PCI NIC from on of my old Macs(6500/225) if required.
Bunch of 50/80/120mm fans scattered around the room also available.
Couple PS/2 keyboards laying around.
Cheap 3 button USB logitech mouse and some older Apple USB mice.
Dell D1028L (17" CRT that I like to run at 1600x1024)
Acana Professional 15Sp (15" CRT that I normally run at 1280x1024)
NEC MultiSync A500 (15" CRT that I am currently using with this PII, not sure if I have tested the maximum resolution)
Technics SU-V6X & Yamaha YST-M7

I also have a lapped Datech 9Y212 that was sitting around waiting to be installed in one of my Macs though I am not sure what it is capable of so I don't know if it would be an option for an overclocked E2160 or not.(I would probably need to rig up an adapter or sorts to mount it anyway I think)

Quote:
parts to be bought
I had these in mind.
ASUS P5K ATX LGA775 P35 DDR2 2PCI-E16 3PCI 1PCI-E1 SATA2 Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 Dual Core Processor LGA775 1.8GHZ 800FSB 1MB Retail
Mushkin HP PC2-6400 HP2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-5-4-11 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive
btw, don't even bother trying to get me to switch to a Maxtor, Western Digital or Samsung HD. Not going to happen.

I am also considering this but am not sure if it is really my best option. Some may say to nab a really cheap card and toss in something better later but I tried that already in 2005 with a 64MB DDR Radeon 7000... And you know what? I am still using that card and am not all that pleased about it. As a result I think I should just go with this, use it for a while and upgrade when I want or really need to.
Sennheiser HD202 DJ Headphones 18-18000HZ 32OHMS 10FT Black

Quote:
what do you wish to do with your rig.
Anything it is capable of or I am interested in. From gaming to a bit of 3D modeling(mostly for games) to pixel by pixel editing of images to web browsing/IRC/other IM, audio and video playback, occasional conversion of video into a different format. That sort of thing. Just like what I did with my Mac but with both Mac OS X and Windows and higher system specs.
I do wish to overclock at least a bit but at this point in time nothing like liquid cooling can be implemented so just to be relatively safe with my new toys I won't be going too overboard with stock cooling.

Of course, as with the majority of PCs I will be adding things here and there now and then. One of the attractions of a P35 board was the CPU upgrade potential.
Old February 10, 2008, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you order through Direct Canada and your order is over $300 it's free ground shipping.
What video card do you plan on using?
How much of an overclock do you want to do?

Last edited by BALISTX; February 10, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old February 10, 2008, 07:04 PM
MVP
F@H

It's possible to get an intel e4500 for $125, and you are looking at faster stock speeds (2.2ghz vs. 1.8ghz) and a larger cache (2mb vs. 1mb) than the e2160.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old February 10, 2008, 07:29 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It will be difficult to choose such parts, all for 550$. Here's my take:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
E2160
OCZ Platinum PC2-6400
BFG 8800GT
Seagate 500GB
AC7 Pro

597$, without shipping, but the 8800GT has a 30$ MIR.

Old February 10, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
It will be difficult to choose such parts, all for 550$. Here's my take:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
E2160
OCZ Platinum PC2-6400
BFG 8800GT
Seagate 500GB
AC7 Pro

597$, without shipping, but the 8800GT has a 30$ MIR.

Ummmm what about his RAM?