Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2008, 03:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default fitting PCI components on a Motherboard

I have been planning a build for a few months now (and bugging you guys with noob questions the whole time). I just got into ordering to build in April.

I was looking at pics of the Asus Maximus Formula as a possible motherboard choice, and noticed how close the PCI and PCIe slots are together. I was wondering, is is possible to have two dual slot graphics cards in crossfire and 2 PCI cards at the same time, on this or any motherboard? serious changes in order if not...

Anyone with advice or experience, its appreciated.
Old February 9, 2008, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

'Fraid not. You've only got two PCI slots total, and you'll loose the bottom one with a second dual-slot graphics card. The regular P5E board is the same way. I think most boards tend to give up at PCI slot with a second GPU, actually. You might have to see if one of your intended cards comes in PCI-E x1 version.
Old February 9, 2008, 06:07 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

As a point of fact, more mobo makers will be releasing boards in larger sizes. I've already seen some samples and if you check the large case makers , you'll notice they've almost all announced 10 slot cases or in some instances already have them ready to sell. While mainstream computing is getting smaller, it seems enthusiast computing is going to get bigger and badder....